Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

So, how long before we know who are next coach is?

I know if they have a strong interest in a coach that is still in the tourney they have to wait to contact him or make that decision.

But isn't signing day next month? If so, shouldn't OU be fairly quick to find a coach so we do not lose out on recruits because of the indecision?

With Marquette winning in the tourney right now, I highly doubt that Williams will leave Marquette to take over a program that he has to rebuild.

And if he does come to OU, and if he continues to win, it may be 2 more weeks or longer before we know who our new coach will be. Leaving only a couple weeks for recruiting.

I may be a big fan of Terry Evans, but I do want OU to have a coach that wants to be here and that is a good fit for our program and our future.

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

Administrator
    vCash

Re: So, how long before we know who are next coach is?

Haven't you been reading the threads? All the geniuses here already have our coach picked. I wonder if they've told Joe C. yet...

Me personally? I like Evans. Everybody is saying we have to get a "name" coach to win. I say horse****. If Sherri can come out of high school and do what she's done with the girls, I believe Evans can come outta UCO and do at least as good. Besides, he's an OU guy, and I like how he coaches his team.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

Still wondering how Sherri Coale's success at OU with women's hoops has anything to do with Terry Evans being the best choice for the men's team.

As for him being "an OU guy"...hell, I hear Angelo Hamilton, Skeeter Henry and Les Pace are available for assistant coaching gigs with Terry Evans, too! All OU guys!

Bud Wilkinson - Minnesota
    Barry Switzer - Arkansas
    Bob Stoops - Iowa
    Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 toast's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Haven't you been reading the threads? All the geniuses here already have our coach picked. I wonder if they've told Joe C. yet...

Me personally? I like Evans. Everybody is saying we have to get a "name" coach to win. I say horse****. If Sherri can come out of high school and do what she's done with the girls, I believe Evans can come outta UCO and do at least as good. Besides, he's an OU guy, and I like how he coaches his team.
    Sounds like you already have our coach picked. You better hurry and tell Joe C.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Still wondering how Sherri Coale's success at OU with women's hoops has anything to do with Terry Evans being the best choice for the men's team.

As for him being "an OU guy"...hell, I hear Angelo Hamilton, Skeeter Henry and Les Pace are available for assistant coaching gigs with Terry Evans, too! All OU guys!

Barry Switzer - Arkansas
    Bob Stoops - Iowa
    Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...
    Huh? Barry was an assistant under Fairbanks. Bob was an assistant under Spurrier. Lamar? WTF are you talking about?

I guess I'm not getting your point at all. Are you saying Terry Evans can't coach because he went to OU? You lost me holmes.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Sounds like you already have our coach picked. You better hurry and tell Joe C.
    Nay. I said I like Evans. I didn't say I didn't like anybody else. My only deal is all the people acting like coach "X" is it. In concrete. Like they're inside Joe C's head or something. All I wanted to know is where are they getting their info from? Is it just what they are hoping for, or have they actually heard something concrete (and by concrete I don't mean Gottlip on the spin)?

I'm just stating my opinion on who I like who is a KNOWN available coach and who would come to OU in a heartbeat if offered.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Who knows when we'll get a coach? I'm assuming it'll be with in the next week or two for recruiting purposes. Though I'd totally be cool with Joe C making it happen sooner rather than later that way I don't have to hear people BS about what they know or who they know or why so and so sucks.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Here is what we know based on SF poster information. Nobody from Marquette would come to OU because, well it's beneath them, Richmond and Butler coaches ? Ditto. The job is not that good anyway because well, it's OU basketball and nobody wants to be part of that. Oh yeah and forget anybody from the program cuz well, they stink.

I'd be chewed up and spit out if I posted that crap about OU football or heck even cheerleaders for that matter.

Like Dean has indicated many times it's a Joe "C" hire and how many of us have ever guessed one of those right? Not me, that's for sure but he has done one heckuva a job (except for lightening my wallet). It's gonna work out. Can we give another day or two and stop ripping our own program ?

vCash

Well, the Norman Transcript seems to think Joe C. is in hot pursuit of Buzz...

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x...t-buzz-on-Buzz

And Dean, pretty simple message to follow. You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I simply put where the greatest coaches in OU sports all attended college...Minnesota, Arkansas, Iowa and Lamar. Being "an OU guy" has never been a measure for success in coaching at OU. Hell, even Sherri Coale was "an Oklahoma Christian gal".

We all know the decision is Joe C.'s, not ours, and we can trust him with that decision based on his past. I'm just hopeful the Transcript sources are credible...
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Joe C. actually asked permission to speak with Brad Stevens and his response was that it's hard to recruit kids to play in that sh!thole where they play basketball games.

Administrator
    vCash

Well, the Norman Transcript seems to think Joe C. is in hot pursuit of Buzz...

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x...t-buzz-on-Buzz

And Dean, pretty simple message to follow. You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I simply put where the greatest coaches in OU sports all attended college...Minnesota, Arkansas, Iowa and Lamar. Being "an OU guy" has never been a measure for success in coaching at OU. Hell, even Sherri Coale was "an Oklahoma Christian gal".

We all know the decision is Joe C.'s, not ours, and we can trust him with that decision based on his past. I'm just hopeful the Transcript sources are credible...
    You read that rag?

Who knows who we'll get. I don't know a damn thing about Buzz Lightyear except what all you guys are suddenly slobbering all over his knob. When I read **** like "Marquette is a lateral to OU" I just have to go "some people are really dumb." The potential at OU is so much > Marquette it isn't funny. A coach that would stay at Marquette/Butler/VCU/Any mid major over an identical or better deal at OU is a retard. Are we a great BB school? Oh hells no. Our fans suck the foreskin of a syphillitic mule. All 7 of them. Is there potential at OU? Oh hells yes. You just have to win, and win all the time. While all the "fans" are calling you every kind of POS there is.

OU is a tough job, but it's better than any of the mids.

vCash

I don't read it...just showed the link since they are at least throwing it out there.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the Marquette/Butler/etc. being better than OU. Not by a longshot. If Joe C. can't sell that, then it is a Joe C. problem.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Barry Switzer - Arkansas
    Bob Stoops - Iowa
    Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...
    I'm holding out for Jason Skurcenski.

Administrator
    vCash

I don't read it...just showed the link since they are at least throwing it out there.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the Marquette/Butler/etc. being better than OU. Not by a longshot. If Joe C. can't sell that, then it is a Joe C. problem.
    Agree. Now if we could get a guy who'd win for a few years, then rebuild that POS arena known as the LNC we might attract more fans. Might. Man that place sucks on TV, and it sucks watching a game there. Just my O.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Personally I think that's a big part of the problem. Playing in LNC is like playing in a 4-H arena..it blows.

As far as coaching, just get someone in that can recruit and win.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I.
    actually Evans was here at OU in the bball program under Sampson, I believe...Basketball Operations or something..he also did asst coaching gigs at I believe TCU....

it's not like he hasn't coached anywhere...

even Tubbs said if ya can coach D3, D2 ya can coach D1...

NOT saying he is it...but definitely worth looking at IMHO...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    A coach that would stay at Marquette/Butler/VCU/Any mid major over an identical or better deal at OU is a retard.
    Marquette isn't a mid-major. They play in the Big East, and they love their basketball there. It's all they have, and they were top 10 in attendance last year. It's also a Catholic school, so he gets to do things like pray with the team. I'd imagine that's a big plus for him. Honestly, with the NCAA investigation, and our situation in our conference, I'd say calling Marquette to Oklahoma a lateral move might be generous. Buzz has spent most his life in Oklahoma and Texas, and recruits best in Texas, so we might get him that way, though.

Oklahoma certainly is an upgrade from Butler, but as I understand it, there are some family issues for Stevens that could keep him there. Even without that, I think thing that would keep him from coming here is the fact that he could go pretty much anywhere. He is probably the hottest name in coaching searches right now.

VCU...we aren't doing that for obvious reasons.

Memphis is a mid-major, but they're still a better basketball school than us. You should see the class Pastner put together last year, and Fed Ex seems like they'll bring some financial help.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Marquette isn't a mid-major. They play in the Big East, and they love their basketball there. It's all they have, and they were top 10 in attendance last year. It's also a Catholic school, so he gets to do things like pray with the team. I'd imagine that's a big plus for him. Honestly, with the NCAA investigation, and our situation in our conference, I'd say calling Marquette to Oklahoma a lateral move might be generous. Buzz has spent most his life in Oklahoma and Texas, and recruits best in Texas, so we might get him that way, though.

Oklahoma certainly is an upgrade from Butler, but as I understand it, there are some family issues for Stevens that could keep him there. Even without that, I think thing that would keep him from coming here is the fact that he could go pretty much anywhere. He is probably the hottest name in coaching searches right now.

VCU...we aren't doing that for obvious reasons.

Memphis is a mid-major, but they're still a better basketball school than us. You should see the class Pastner put together last year, and Fed Ex seems like they'll bring some financial help.
    You're young. You're looking at things from within the past 5-10 years...max. No, Marquette/Butler/Memphis or any other team you've mentioned is anywhere close to what a guy could do at Oklahoma. Not even close. Only problem is, you have to recruit/coach your mother****ing *** off. Who is willing to do it? We'll see, but I like the fact that Joe C pretty much told Capel "this ain't it." We'll see what the future holds.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

NC's

Marquette-1
    OU-0