Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draft

vCash

The Draft

I'm not looking for what you think about previous drafts or whether or not you agree in a draft....

What I'd like to hear is this....

If we had to have a draft...what would it look like and what changes in exclusions should be made now that we have Women and Gays in the Military.

It's my understanding that one of the reasons we don't do a draft now is that it's more expensive over the time if you make someone serve vs opposed to an all volunteer Service Man or Woman. Contracting the rest of the support is cheaper?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: The Draft

I think women should be required to register on their 18th birthday like I had to.

Also, I think people shouldn't be worried about sexual orientation, you should be concerned if the person next to you is someone you can trust with your life.

And if the US had another draft, I would be willing to bet that there would be huge protests against it by my generation 18-30
    tFtC

vCash

No doubt there would be protests....what I'm getting at is this....

If you live in this Country....why would you now be allowed to be excluded because of your status or religious beliefs?

Make it everyone's duty as an American.

Folks in a wheelchair, Down Syndrome....physical handicaps I understand. Because you are against it doesn't hold water.

You can believe what you want but you'll still be required to serve.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    I'm not looking for what you think about previous drafts or whether or not you agree in a draft....

What I'd like to hear is this....

If we had to have a draft...what would it look like and what changes in exclusions should be made now that we have Women and Gays in the Military.
    I think they should be sure to draft from all sectors of our society and allow darn few exemptions. I also think they should only draft high school graduates. That helps avoid drafting thugs and also helps insure we get plenty of college kids. Boys, girls, gay, straights. There is room for all under Uncle Sam's OD green canvas tent. And for three years service. That's because it takes a year to train a kid to do anything useful.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I think they should be sure to draft from all sectors of our society and allow darn few exemptions. I also think they should only draft high school graduates. That helps avoid drafting thugs and also helps insure we get plenty of college kids. Boys, girls, gay, straights. There is room for all under Uncle Sam's OD green canvas tent. And for three years service. That's because it takes a year to train a kid to do anything useful.
    I'd have no problem with kids in school taking an exemption as long as after 4-5 years they serve their Country. After Serving they can do what ever they want. Should they decide to enlist and defer College they get better benefits. We'll always have plenty of smart folks with degrees that wish to make the Military their life for 10-20 years.

Just a thought...

Nevermind...I like your idea better.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

You can't exclude high school dropouts...

They have a chance to make something of themselves in the armed forces...out on the streets without a GED and they will be sucking the Fed tit for their entire life...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

No doubt there would be protests....what I'm getting at is this....

If you live in this Country....why would you now be allowed to be excluded because of your status or religious beliefs?

Make it everyone's duty as an American.

Folks in a wheelchair, Down Syndrome....physical handicaps I understand. Because you are against it doesn't hold water.

You can believe what you want but you'll still be required to serve.
    Completely agree, EVERYONE has to serve. If you have a physical disability, you can help your country in many other ways. But at the same time, if you look at WW2, women were instrumental in manufacturing while the War Machine was at work. Then again we do outsource everything now so it wouldn't be a problem right?

But back to the physical disability thing, obviously there are scenarios where people would be unable to serve, but I would hope that the majority of American's would want to serve their country in some capacity. But then again, I have no desire to join the military. Contradictions galore!

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    This sarcasm? Everyone should serve. I don't care if you lack a college degree, infantry needs people as well. And besides, I have a college degree (received it in the mail last week actually), and it's not doing a whole lot for me right now. But Okla-homey are you suggesting we institute the same policy as Israel? Mandatory service at 18? In this scenario of course.
    tFtC

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HBick View Post
    Completely agree, EVERYONE has to serve. If you have a physical disability, you can help your country in many other ways. But at the same time, if you look at WW2, women were instrumental in manufacturing while the War Machine was at work. Then again we do outsource everything now so it wouldn't be a problem right?

But back to the physical disability thing, obviously there are scenarios where people would be unable to serve, but I would hope that the majority of American's would want to serve their country in some capacity. But then again, I have no desire to join the military. Contradictions galore!

This sarcasm? Everyone should serve. I don't care if you lack a college degree, infantry needs people as well. And besides, I have a college degree (received it in the mail last week actually), and it's not doing a whole lot for me right now. But Okla-homey are you suggesting we institute the same policy as Israel? Mandatory service at 18? In this scenario of course.
    I would use Israeli policy...

vCash

My kids rock the flock!

vCash

I understand Homey's deal in that you want people who wish to be a part of this great Country that aren't a big disicipline problem.

What concerns me is it's just another way for someone to steer their kid around the draft. Drop out and you can work for Daddy's Company.

vCash

I understand Homey's deal in that you want people who wish to be a part of this great Country that aren't a big disicipline problem.

What concerns me is it's just another way for someone to steer their kid around the draft. Drop out and you can work for Daddy's Company.
    IF the Army can't discipline their azz...I am sure they will be a productive part of society...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Luckily Daddy's Company usually has other people who can sue for discrimination in the work place if the heir apparent isn't qualified. Sue Others To Get Rich = The American Dream post 1980
    tFtC

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HBick View Post
    Luckily Daddy's Company usually has other people who can sue for discrimination in the work place if the heir apparent isn't qualified. Sue Others To Get Rich = The American Dream post 1980
    Not sure what that has to do with any of this. In the World were talking about...Daddy would be employing lots of folks who served in the military

vCash

I would assume you'd have to be pretty disciplined to take it up the *** on a regular basis?
    My kids rock the flock!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    I would assume you'd have to be pretty disciplined to take it up the *** on a regular basis?
    no idea skipper?

vCash

no idea skipper?
    Notice my question mark.
    My kids rock the flock!

vCash

Notice mine?

vCash

We're just two ****in hillbillies.
    My kids rock the flock!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Not sure what that has to do with any of this. In the World were talking about...Daddy would be employing lots of folks who served in the military
    Well not everyone would be able to serve, and they would continue working. Besides if OK has their way, if you drop out, you can't have a driver's license
    tFtC

vCash

Talking Re: The Draft

I have a huge question mark....

?