Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Possible Limits on Debit Card Transactions

This is a bunch of bull****. Banks could soon begin limiting transactions on debit cards to as low as $50. I wouldn't even be able to pay my damn bills off that. Try going to Wal-Mart and getting your card decline when there is plenty of money in your account because your bank won't give it you. If I have to start writing checks often again, I'm gonna be pizzed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Debit-....html?x=0&.v=4

Declined! Your debit card may soon be denied for purchases greater than $100 -- or even as little as $50.

JPMorgan Chase, one of the nation's largest banks, is considering capping debit card transactions at either $50 or $100, according to a source with knowledge of the proposal. And the cap would apply even if you run your debit card as credit.

Why? Because of a tricky thing called interchange fees.

Right now, every time you swipe your debit card your bank charges the retailer an average fee of 44 cents, which it shares with its partners. Those little fees, however, add up to about $16 billion per year, according to 2009 data from the Federal Reserve.

But as part of the Wall Street reform legislation that was passed last year, these fees are being slashed. The Fed is currently proposing rules that would go into effect in July and would cap interchange fees at 12 cents.

That's a big enough cut to cost Chase more than $1 billion a year. And Chase may not be alone. Other major issuers are also projecting huge losses from the interchange fee cap.

Joe Price, president of consumer banking for Bank of America, said in an e-mailed statement that the lower fee wouldn't fairly compensate the bank for the infrastructure and services it provides to retailers.

And consumers would end up feeling the pain when Bank of America is forced to recoup costs "by increasing the cost of their everyday debit card transactions, limiting their payment choices, and impacting industry innovation," according to the email.

Aside from mulling over a limit on transaction amounts, Chase is already testing $3 monthly fees on debit cards and $15 fees on checking accounts in certain states. Additionally, the bank announced in November that it has stopped issuing debit rewards cards.

A Chase spokesman declined comment on this story.

The revenue banks get from interchange fees helps to offset money lost from fraudulent transactions. So with the Fed's proposed cap in place, banks argue they won't have the money to protect themselves against fraud. And, of course, the bigger the purchase the bigger the risk, so banks are considering limiting consumers' ability to pay by debit card.

"If banks cannot recapture their fraud-prevention costs, it is likely that a lower percentage of transactions at the point of sale would be approved," Price said. "If the final rules that are issued in April look like the draft, there's no question that it will impact how we and other issuers price deposit and payment services and what features and benefits are included."

But a Bank of America spokesman declined to comment on whether the bank would cap debit card purchases at $50 or $100.

Representatives from Wells Fargo and HSBC declined to comment on their plans, while a spokeswoman from Citi said the bank isn't making any changes at this time.

If a cap like this does make its way into accounts across the board, consumers would be forced to write checks, withdraw cash from ATMs, or put their spending on credit cards.

"The whole model on the debit card side is in flux because of Dodd-Frank," said Brian Riley, senior research director at financial services consulting firm TowerGroup. "The unfortunate thing is that the people who will really get hurt on this are the people who need the most help."

Many consumers with bad credit aren't able to qualify for credit cards -- and when they do, it's often with hefty rates and fees. Additionally, ATMs typically only dole out a limited amount of money at a time and checking accounts are being loaded with fees.

At the same time, even the customers who do qualify for credit cards are being punished for having tarnished credit. Bank of America, for example, announced a $59 annual fee last month for its riskiest customers -- making up about 5% of consumer credit card accounts.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

vCash

Re: Possible Limits on Debit Card Transactions

I guess not all money is good money. I can go back to writing checks and keeping some money on me. Of course that isn't good news but to hell with them. I hope they go broke.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

Same old story: Feds come in and force banks to give consumers a better deal. Banks find another way to make money. Consumer loses in the end.

It will always be that way.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Ah, the fruits of government "regulation". **** you Congress and Barack.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 btk108's Avatar
    vCash

Leroy? is that you?
    Well I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

vCash

I'd probably save more money if they did put a limit on transactions.
    My kids rock the flock!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    I'd probably save more money if they did put a limit on transactions.
    In all seriousness, I would too. Psychologically, it doesn't hurt as much to swipe a card as it does to hand out cash. I just like to pay my bills and stuff online and stuff. Couldn't get much online, and some things aren't sold in stores. It wouldn't affect you much until that one day where it just ****s up your day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by btk108 View Post
    Leroy? is that you?
    You misunderstand. My post was aimed at the ill-advised intentions of the Feds to do the popular thing and "hammer those banks." It never works, because the banks are not in the charity business.

The next time the Feds want to do us any favors, just tell them "Thanks, but you've done enough for us already."

vCash

If it hits me, it's back to putting it on the credit card...which I pay off at the end of the month, cause that's how I roll.

I only use the debit card cause I have to use it 8 times per month to earn decent interest on my checking account.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 btk108's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard View Post
    You misunderstand. My post was aimed at the ill-advised intentions of the Feds to do the popular thing and "hammer those banks." It never works, because the banks are not in the charity business.

The next time the Feds want to do us any favors, just tell them "Thanks, but you've done enough for us already."
    Exactly....I understood your stance...and I think most everyone here would agree with you...which is WAY out of your character.
    Well I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

vCash

Maybe we're rubbing off on Leroid?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

I don't have a debit card. I never have had one. I'm no financial guru but why do people have debit cards instead of credit cards?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
    I don't have a debit card. I never have had one. I'm no financial guru but why do people have debit cards instead of credit cards?
    Debit card comes out of your checking/savings account, so there's no possible interest.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Debit card comes out of your checking/savings account, so there's no possible interest.
    Oh. I suppose that would come in handy for people who think they may lose their cash. That might be good for traveling. I think my husband has one.

vCash

I have a debit and a credit card. I only use my credit card when I have to. I normally use my debit for all purchases. My parents went through bankruptcy over the 30 credit cards they had. The interest built up so much they couldn't pay it and and their medical expenses. I don't want to put myself in that position. I pay off all debt as quickly as I can.....except for the student loans I am racking up. I will live like a college student my first several years after school so I can pay it off quickly.

vCash

It would have been cool if the Bush administration had left Bankruptcy Laws alone too. Obama and Congress seemingly tried to keep the Card Comapnies from having it both ways and the Card Companies brainstormed and instead of figuring out how to survive on less like they wanted us to do....they found a loophole. Of course us having a loophole isn't good for America. We can't write off our mistakes/misfortunes but they can.

Seriously folks....the Government can do anything they want to those robber barons IMO. I could give two ****s about them. I relish the idea of just writing a check and keeping some money in an account.

They started all this with teaser rates and offering you to use their money for free and of course...people spent money they couldn't afford to pay back. Throwing folks into indentured servitude I'm sure seemed fine to them....but when the markets all started to fail.....the banks they represent went crying for a bailout based on if you don't....we are all screwed.

Now they have folks hooked on debit cards and they are crying foul. I'm betting there are plenty of other folks who would be estatic to get 12 cents on every transaction throughout the US. Just not them. They've been used to getting billions and they haven't realized that it's just not there anymore.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

vCash

I used to use the credit card and paid it off at the end of the month, but started using the debit card as part of the checking/savings account I had where I had to use the debit at least 8 times a month to earn interest. Now, it's about all I use.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard View Post

Why Leroy, don't blame the Feds, it's the banks that make decisions to limit transaction sizes.... yuk ,yuk yuk. sarcasm.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Seriously folks....the Government can do anything they want to those robber barons IMO.
    Throw them in the briar patch?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    they get you on the overdraft fees that they get creative on the timing with

it's way better to use a credit card for things that are deposit related, like hotels and rental cars

i like credit cards because if there is a fraud issue you aren't immediately out of your real funds

i basically never use a debit card. i mostly spend cash.