Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The Next Great Restaurant

The judges, Bobby Flay, Curtis Stone, Lorena Garcia, Stever Ells, put up their own money to fund the next great fast food restaurant with three locations. (premiered last night on NBC).

[Hey, ladies, do your nipples become erect over Curtis Stone?]

Ten contestants are competing. I found their ideas underwhelming. I wouldn't invest in any of them based on the initial episode. I swear I have a better idea than any of these.

Their ideas:

1. Heaven and Hell diner: the menu is half healthy food and half over-the-top indulgent food.

2. Meatballs and sauce

3. upscale grilled cheese

4. Sports wraps

5. Like Chipotles, but with Indian (Asian) food, mostly vegetarian

6. Fixed calorie meals. three course meal with modest portions.

7. tacos, tapa style

8. redneck comfort food, tapa style

9. Chicken wings and waffles. yeah, that's right.

10. Like Chipotles, but Wok-style healthy asian food.
    Last edited by SanJoaquinSooner; 3/7/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Next Great Restaurant

It depends on the execution, but I like the ideas of 5 through 10. A good quality dosa joint would be epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I wonder how much of their "own" money they judges are going to invest? Seems like the show would front the investment money, and it's basically just extra exposure for the judges own restaurants/product line/etc.

I wasn't very blown away by the concepts that were pitched either, but you have to keep in mind the show is based around restaurants that would compete in the fast-food/casual style of restaurants. They weren't accepting pitches for fine dining restaurants.

Of the 10 finalists that I think have the most potential.....The indian themed concept, the fixed calorie concept, the chicken and waffles concept, and the Asian Wok concept.

I thought the Healthy vs. Indulgent concept was interesting, but may be better suited to a full on fine dining concept. Just don't think it will be successful in this arena. Dark horse might be the Red Neck/Comfort Food restaurant.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mississippi Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Chicken and waffles would work in the Deep South, for sure. There are already a lot of mom and pop type places around here that have that has part of their regular fare. I even saw a sign this past weekend in front of some greasy spoon urging folks to come on in and try their chicken and waffles. Washed down with a thick, syrupy glass of sweet tea, no doubt.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

Nothing on this show interested me at all....it was fail. My idea blows all of this away...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

What is your idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OULenexaman View Post
    My idea blows all of this away...
    I told my wife a great idea would be all of these dishes with a phallic like shape.
    The place could be called Fellatios.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

close to my idea...very close.

vCash

an Indian chain could be interesting

i've really had a taste for Indian food lately

the fixed calorie thing is kinda interesting too. have you seen calorie counts on things at places like Chipotle, Chili's or PF Changs??

the problem is that they are shooting at lowest common denominator/mass appeal kinda thing. another chain like Chili's or Applebees or something, right?

i tend to avoid most of them anyway, with the exception of Chipotle. it's a bit different though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    I wonder how much of their "own" money they judges are going to invest? Seems like the show would front the investment money, and it's basically just extra exposure for the judges own restaurants/product line/etc.
    This is what Curtis Stone said about that:

Normally, when NBC comes to you and wants you to do a show, you're like, "Woo hoo! I just landed a new show!" But this was different because they wanted us to get our checkbooks out. Normally when you walk into a meeting with network executives, you kiss their asses, but this time, I had a bunch of questions.
    I haven't read how much -- I'd guess a slice of their compensation for being on the show. But it makes it intriguing if the judges have a vested interest in the outcome.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the problem is that they are shooting at lowest common denominator/mass appeal kinda thing. another chain like Chili's or Applebees or something, right?
    I don't think they are going for any place that has waiters/waitresses. They are looking for a real fast/casual place where you order your food, have it prepared and in your hand in about 2 minutes or less.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

i've really had a taste for Indian food lately

the fixed calorie thing is kinda interesting too. have you seen calorie counts on things at places like Chipotle, Chili's or PF Changs??

i tend to avoid most of them anyway, with the exception of Chipotle. it's a bit different though.
    I have thought that there is a niche market in the US for fast food Indian (red dot not red feather) food. Well, think about it: freshly baked nan wrap with Chicken Tiki (maybe westernized with ranch dressing). My own creation would be double samosas with one half curry and the other half yoghurt (raita). Oh, and there can be fried okra which the red dot indians call lady fingers. Or, there could be spinach and goat cheese that is just to die for but probably not suited for fast food.
    Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm-
    SicEmBaylor

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I told my wife a great idea would be all of these dishes with a phallic like shape.
    The place could be called Fellatios.
    Oh, very excellent idea. Baked mushroom poppers with cream cheese on top would be just fab.
    SicEmBaylor

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    Oh, very excellent idea. Baked mushroom poppers with cream cheese on top would be just fab.
    You can get an LPGA player to pose in a promo photo kissing said dish!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    You can get an LPGA player to pose in a promo photo kissing said dish!
    You are such a mean guy. You know that I don't like the sport of golf.
    SicEmBaylor

vCash

I agree about the need for Indian chain restaurants. I think they may have them out west but here on the east coast we have tons of Indians and no real Indian fast food.

I would say we need Thai fast food as well but I think it may not translate to fast food as Thai is generally higher quality / fresh food.

vCash

On the Asian wok concept, it reminds me of the Mongolian Barbeque restaurants at which I've been, where you load up your plate with super thin slices of meat, a variety of vegetables, and sauces -- then hand the plate to the cook who quick-cooks it on a huge high-heat circular griddle for just a few minutes, not unlike wok cooking. It seems satisfying (and healthy) but it always seemed to taste the same no matter what I chose to load on my plate.
    Last edited by SanJoaquinSooner; 3/8/2011 at 09:33 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerJack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    On the Asian wok concept, it reminds me of the Mongolian Barbeque restaurants at which I've been, where you load up your plate with super thin slices of meat, a variety of vegetables, and sauces -- then stand in a long line waiting for a cooking spot to free up, hand the plate to the cook who's sporting a tap-out tatoo and drives a tricked out Civic quick-cooks it one a huge high-heat circular griddle for just a few minutes while trying to get your date's number, not unlike wok cooking. It seems satisfying (and healthy) but it always seemed to taste the same no matter what I chose to load on my plate.
    FIFY
    I gots ta get me a signature.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    Chicken and waffles would work in the Deep South, for sure. There are already a lot of mom and pop type places around here that have that has part of their regular fare. I even saw a sign this past weekend in front of some greasy spoon urging folks to come on in and try their chicken and waffles. Washed down with a thick, syrupy glass of sweet tea, no doubt.
    For fast food place, I think it helps if take-out can carry a significant load.

The advantage of sandwiches, wraps, burritos, pizza, and chinese, is that they are so conducive to take-out. Chicken wings yes, but I'm not sure about waffles. In my opinion, waffles have to stay crispy and hot enough to melt butter.

Just the thought of waffles with sweet tea raised my blood sugar a notch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    It depends on the execution, but I like the ideas of 5 through 10. A good quality dosa joint would be epic.
    No doubt execution is the most important factor, more so than originality. For example, there are a gazillion hamburger and pizza joints -- but one more of them can always be successful if the food is great at a reasonable price with good service.