Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Thunder trade green and krstic

Just before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, the Boston Celtics agreed to ship center Kendrick Perkins and guard Nate Robinson to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green and big man Nenad Krstic, two league sources said.

More on the Celtics
    Keep on top of the Green throughout the season with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Wednesday that Perkins is out at least a week after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

It's a homecoming of sorts for Green. He was selected by the Celtics in the first round (fifth overall) in the 2007 draft. But he was traded with Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West to the then Seattle SuperSonics for Ray Allen and Glen Davis.

The Celtics' pursuit of a perimeter player intensified when it became apparent that Marquis Daniels might miss the rest of the season with a spinal injury.

The Thunder also made a trade sending Morris Peterson to Charlotte, but it was unclear if that was part of a three-way deal between the Thunder, Celtics and Bobcats.

Green is averaging 15.2 points and 5.6 rebounds this season as the third option for the Thunder behind Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. In his third season in the league, he has averaged 14.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

The deal gives the Thunder the big man that they've been looking for all year. Perkins is coming off right knee surgery and has played just 12 games, but the Thunder have felt for a while that they need a veteran big man to truly compete with the Spurs, Mavs and Lakers in the West.

The deal also gives the Thunder something for Green, who becomes a restricted free agent this summer. Green had rejected a contract extension offer from the Thunder earlier this year.

For the Celtics, they take a big risk that their lone big men -- Shaquille O'Neal and Kevin Garnett -- can lead them. But with O'Neal out with an Achilles injury, this is an interesting play for a Celtics team trying to win a championship.

Green is a young talent who can play both the 3 and the 4 positions and could be part of a longer rebuilding strategy. Krstic is an offensive talent down low, but isn't known as a rebounder or a tough defender.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com. Chad Ford is the ESPN NBA Insider.
    "The WNBA is a lesbian festival" - Jim Traber

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Thunder trade green and krstic

I didn't realize that Green rejected a contract extension with the Thunder. If that is the case, then great move by the Thunder.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Oh yeah. I think Perkins is a solid get. Not for sure about the whole robinson thing... Maybe looking to trade him or maynor possibly???

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Yes! Finally a defensive center for the Thunder!!!

Is Serge going to take Green's starting spot?
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

vCash

Looks like the new Thunder starting line up (when Perkins gets healthy) will look like this:

PG Russell Westbrook
    SG Thabo Sefolosha
    SF Kevin Durant
    PF Serge Ibaka
    C Kendrick Perkins

6th Man: James Harden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Looks like the new Thunder starting line up (when Perkins gets healthy) will look like this:

PG Russell Westbrook
    SG Thabo Sefolosha
    SF Kevin Durant
    PF Serge Ibaka
    C Kendrick Perkins

6th Man: James Harden
    Defense! *Clap*Clap Defense! *Clap*Clap
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Yes! Finally a defensive center for the Thunder!!!

Is Serge going to take Green's starting spot?
    Serge is a power forward. They have just been playing him at center because he is tall and talented and they need him on the court. That and they really didn't have anyone that could play center any better. Serge should be celebrating this move (aside from loosing a teammate).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mad Dog Madsen's Avatar
    vCash

I really like Jeff Green and I'm sad to see him go. Let's hope Kendrick can stay healthy...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Serge is a power forward. They have just been playing him at center because he is tall and talented and they need him on the court. That and they really didn't have anyone that could play center any better. Serge should be celebrating this move (aside from loosing a teammate).
    Right, that's why I said we finally have a defensive center! I wasn't knocking him. I've always considered Serge a power forward too.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Anyone else puzzled by the nate robinson deal?

vCash

Westbrook and Durant have their ups and downs on defense, but think of the defensive presence with Thabo, Serge, and Kendrick on the floor. We already have the scorers. If Kendrick stays healthy, this could be a big effect on the Western Conference.

On a side note....what the hell is Boston doing? They are left with Shaq and Jermaine O'neil and Semih Erden at center. They are in trouble at center now. But with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and Garnett getting older, picking up Green was big.

Nevermind, they don't have Erden either. They traded him and Harangody to the Cavs for a 2nd round pick.
    Last edited by sooner59; 2/24/2011 at 04:25 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfe View Post
    Anyone else puzzled by the nate robinson deal?
    I think the consensus was that Boston was just trying to get rid of his contract, so they lumped him in the deal.

Nazr Mohammed also headed to OKC...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
    Nazr Mohammed also headed to OKC...
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that. That will serve more than one function.

1. Perkins has a veteran big man behind him, so Aldrich isn't the only other option at center.

2. Aldrich gets an older veteran to mentor him a little.

3. Serge doesn't have to spend any more time at center and can stay at power forward, which is his natural position.

D.J White and Mo Peterson barely ever saw time anyway....mostly in mop up duty. As I said, I like Green, but this was a fantastic day for the Thunder (if Perkins can stay healthy).

My first thought is I love the move but why would the C's give up a solid big man who's in the prime of his career?

vCash

This sucks
    1950 1955 1956 1974 1975 1985 2000
    2000 2002 2004 2006 2007 2008 2010

vCash

This is great IF Perkins stays healthy. If he is healthy we are contenders. We have two top 10 scorers and a frontline of Ibaka and Perkins? That's beastly. Green wasn't going to sign an extension here anyway and the truth is that Ibaka is a much better PF than Green is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stoops View Post
    My first thought is I love the move but why would the C's give up a solid big man who's in the prime of his career?
    On the NBA channel they were suggesting that Perkins and the Celtics had talked about a contract extension, but couldn't meet in the middle contract-wise. And with the big 3 getting old, picking up Green is building toward the future. They are still going to have to pick up a good center down the road, though. The talking heads on NBA TV said that Boston had been looking for a good 3 or 4 guy.

This feels too good to be true but I trust Presti did his homework before pulling the trigger. Damn I'm excited.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Thabo is the worst starting shooting guard in the NBA. Good defensively but a liability on offense.

they best not trade Maynor or Harden