Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

Home Audio/Video Breakout room help needed?!?!

OK electronic buffs. I'm moving all my A/V stuff to a break out closet. I need a run of 20-25' so not too bad. Here's what I've found so far:

Smarthome 59501 Hidden IR Repeater System, Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's what the Smarthome page says I need to extend the Repeater:

50ft Emitter and IR Sensor Extension Cable

http://www.smarthome.com/8186/Xantec...-784-00/p.aspx

The above looks like 3.5 mm Male/Female Stereo Audio Extension Cable. Is there a difference in cable between an "IR Sensor Extension Cable" and a "Stereo Audio Extension Cable"? I would much rather have a run of 25' than 50' if I could. Problem I see here is I need 4 25' runs because these cables extend the emitters and not the repeater box.

Now, next question: as hinted above I would rather extend the repeater box once instead of all 4 emitter cables. The repeater box, per Smarthome page, has an IR Receiver with six foot cord and 4-pin DIN connector. The 4-pin DIN connector is nothing more than an S-Video cable from what I could find. Why couldn't I just get a 25' S-Video cable and extend the repeater box and save a bunch of unnecessary cables?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to this project.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

vCash

Re: Home Audio/Video Breakout room help needed?!?!

Bump

Nobody?
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklaPony's Avatar
    vCash

I can't answer your question about the S-vid cable but the 1/8" TRS extension cable is just as you suggest. I carry a decent quality 15' version but it's about $13.00. Since audio quality is of no concern for you these seem like a decent deal even if you need 4. I think the real question is whether or not that DIN cable is actually an S-vid. If so then that would make for a much more elegant solution.
    Pride '80 - '81

Whenever Jay Carney speaks, a logic-angel gets its wings ripped off.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklaPony View Post
    I can't answer your question about the S-vid cable but the 1/8" TRS extension cable is just as you suggest. I carry a decent quality 15' version but it's about $13.00. Since audio quality is of no concern for you these seem like a decent deal even if you need 4. I think the real question is whether or not that DIN cable is actually an S-vid. If so then that would make for a much more elegant solution.
    I think I may go ahead and purchase the repeater system and see what that DIN cable is and, if it is an S-video, try some that I have on hand.

I appreciate your use of the word "elegant". Thank you very much for the insight.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

Check monoprice.com

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

I guess someone had to figure out a use for S Video cable!
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene