Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 mgsooner's Avatar
    vCash

how do you "interpret" the 14th Amendment?

Oklahoma Senate panel OKs tough anti-immigration bills

by: Associated Press
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY — A Senate committee has approved bills denying Oklahoma citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants and one dubbed "Arizona-plus" that would allow police to confiscate property, like homes and vehicles, belonging to those in the country illegally.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved both bills on Tuesday on a straight party-line vote, with Democrats opposing the measures.

Freshman Sen. Ralph Shortey, who wrote the bills, said he disagrees with the current interpretation of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that babies born in the U.S. automatically become American citizens. The Oklahoma City Republican said his bill on asset forfeiture and seizure would give law enforcement an incentive to capture and jail illegal immigrants.

Actual text from the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (Section 1):

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 DIB's Avatar
    vCash

Re: how do you "interpret" the 14th Amendment?

Yay! Another unconstitutional state law.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

C&C Dean is a State Senator? Sweet!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

If both parents are in the US illegally then the young un shouldn't be a US citizen...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    If both parents are in the US illegally then the young un shouldn't be a US citizen...
    according to the US Constitution?

vCash

I'm not sure what you mean by "should". I'm not talking about what "should" or should not happen. I'm simply stating from what the 14th Amendment states I have no idea how someone could read it and "interpet" it any way other than what it actually says. So until the 14th Amendment is changed, please stop wasting time and money on these idiotic laws that are blatantly unconstitutional and will just cost the taxpayers even MORE money in legal fees.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'd like to circulate an initiative petition, requiring legislators to have to reimburse the state for the costs of defending unconstitutional legislation. This is totally absurd.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 DIB's Avatar
    vCash

I don't disagree. Unfortunately, we would have to amend the constitution. I doubt that the founding fathers foresaw the type of immigration problem that we have now. But, at the same time, we can't pick and chose which parts of the constitution we follow and which parts we don't.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Sounds like the legislation is attempting to make an imaginary problem much, much, much,........ more expensive. Get rid of the true traitors to this country (they are concentrated in our state and country capitols).
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

vCash

I think the state legislature should pass a law exempting all Oklahoma residents from paying Federal income tax.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'd like to circulate an initiative petition, requiring legislators to have to reimburse the state for the costs of defending unconstitutional legislation. This is totally absurd.
    Do you mean you support a "loser pays" system? Interesting concept.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

That is essentially what the Brits have. And why they have less litigation.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

What's an Oklahoma citizenship?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUMallen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlboSooner View Post
    What's an Oklahoma citizenship?
    The unalienable right to have to dedicate your tax dollars to defending unconstitutional state laws.
    Olevet Posse Bail Bondsman

"I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right"
    - Chick Corea

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post
    Do you mean you support a "loser pays" system? Interesting concept.
    I don't think what she/he said had anything to do with a "loser pays" system. If it were a loser pays system, the state would reimburse the fees of whoever challenged this law. What she/he suggested is that the congressmen reimburse the state.

I recognize the original post was probably meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    The unalienable right to have to dedicate your tax dollars to defending unconstitutional state laws.
    nice

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    I don't disagree. Unfortunately, we would have to amend the constitution. I doubt that the founding fathers foresaw the type of immigration problem that we have now. But, at the same time, we can't pick and chose which parts of the constitution we follow and which parts we don't.

Not a simple task...

When the Constitution was written there was little or no concern about illegal immigration...we wanted labor, as much as we could get...

That is not the case today...the immigration system is being abused and disregarded by both the illegals and the businesses that knowingly hire them....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Agreed. If you have a problem with the Constitution then change it according to the rules of the Constitution.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Not a simple task...

When the Constitution was written there was little or no concern about illegal immigration...we wanted labor, as much as we could get...

That is not the case today...the immigration system is being abused and disregarded by both the illegals and the businesses that knowingly hire them....
    Phil any idea how big a problem this is for the US?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    Phil any idea how big a problem this is for the US?

Not off the top of my head...okie probably knows...

How ya been?