Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR

NASCAR

Bud Shootout this weekend, Daytona 500 next Sunday!

Anyone else excited!?!?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: NASCAR

i'm not really excited, but i'll be glad when they start racing again.

it bugs me when numb nuts writer guys question why nascar has it's "super bowl" (daytona) as the 1st race. it's the FIRST race, hopefully @ a location that will provide good weather. (unlike nfl super bowl). to me, it's a big deal because the races are starting. it's a NEW season.

thing i don't like, nascar should take the "stock car" out of their title. there's
    nothing "stock"; they're pure race cars. in the past, you could tell a ford from a chevy. now, they're all the same except for the paint jobs. they formerly had mercs, olds & pontiacs. now they're all (totally) gone.

anyway, i am glad.

i also like drag racing. kinda happy to see that Ashley Force Hood is not driving this year, because she's pregnant.i'm guessing that daddy John will be an unbearable granpa. bet's he's hoping for a boy, after having all girls.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Busch series (nationwide, whatever) has done it right with the cars that look somewhat like the street counterpart.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Jr looks to have a fast car. I hope he gets his **** together this year. Go smoke!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Speeds over 204 mph!!

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Most bizarre racing ever with the two car packs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder View Post
    Busch series (nationwide, whatever) has done it right with the cars that look somewhat like the street counterpart.
    don't understand this, most don't even have a "street counterpart".
    on the street, they're all 4-doors with mostly v-6 engines.

i've heard that in the early days, some drivers drove cars to the track & raced them. of course, they were poor or made more money by bootlegging.
    (also, i don't know if this is true)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    Bud Shootout this weekend, Daytona 500 next Sunday!

Anyone else excited!?!?
    No! Haven't been excited about NASCAR for a long time now.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

I'm ready for some Daytona

vCash

Junior's on the pole !!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

Most bizarre racing ever with the two car packs.
    chain racing!!!!!
    “Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.”

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by texaspokieokie View Post
    Junior's on the pole !!!
    Starting position in the past normally meant nothing.

But with the new 'it takes two to tango but there's a crowd that won't get you anywhere on the track' and with the fact the lead pack broke off from the secondary pack and left them behind at the end of the Shootout, I think starting position is going to be a lot more important this year.

So good for Junior and Jeff to be starting on the front row.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GrapevineSooner View Post
    Starting position in the past normally meant nothing.

But with the new 'it takes two to tango but there's a crowd that won't get you anywhere on the track' and with the fact the lead pack broke off from the secondary pack and left them behind at the end of the Shootout, I think starting position is going to be a lot more important this year.

So good for Junior and Jeff to be starting on the front row.
    I bet it changes back with the new rules that heat up the cars quicker. And, Harvick said he had started hitting his rev limiter toward the end and thats why they couldn't catch back up. Apparently some had limiters in and some didn't. It should be an interesting race and I do like the starting row. It's strange to see something other than DuPont (special event paint jobs not withstanding).

don't understand this, most don't even have a "street counterpart".
    on the street, they're all 4-doors with mostly v-6 engines.

i've heard that in the early days, some drivers drove cars to the track & raced them. of course, they were poor or made more money by bootlegging.
    (also, i don't know if this is true)
    I thought about this a bit. First, the cars this year look better in cup. They redid the front end and made them look more carlike. Especially the Dodges. In nationwide, they do look a lot like the real cars. I wish chevy would use a camaro rather than an impala, but oh well.

But, look at other sports. We watch and admire NBA players, but for the most part they are freaks of nature who have skills we can only dream about. Sure, we can play a pickup game, but the pro level is so far away from us it's insane. Same with football, baseball, golf, etc. We wear jerseys, but a game football jersey is a bizarre stretchy thing that is nothing like a replica. I know its not quite the same, but it is similar (NASCAR cars vs showroom cars). They have gone to safety more. Sure, it was cool when you could go buy a Superbird that was basically the same as the one running Daytona (except with all the seats, etc). But those days are gone.

vCash

I bet it changes back with the new rules that heat up the cars quicker. And, Harvick said he had started hitting his rev limiter toward the end and thats why they couldn't catch back up. Apparently some had limiters in and some didn't. It should be an interesting race and I do like the starting row. It's strange to see something other than DuPont (special event paint jobs not withstanding).

I thought about this a bit. First, the cars this year look better in cup. They redid the front end and made them look more carlike. Especially the Dodges. In nationwide, they do look a lot like the real cars. I wish chevy would use a camaro rather than an impala, but oh well.

But, look at other sports. We watch and admire NBA players, but for the most part they are freaks of nature who have skills we can only dream about. Sure, we can play a pickup game, but the pro level is so far away from us it's insane. Same with football, baseball, golf, etc. We wear jerseys, but a game football jersey is a bizarre stretchy thing that is nothing like a replica. I know its not quite the same, but it is similar (NASCAR cars vs showroom cars). They have gone to safety more. Sure, it was cool when you could go buy a Superbird that was basically the same as the one running Daytona (except with all the seats, etc). But those days are gone.
    alls i'm sayin is, quit callin em "stock-cars".
    if they callem "camaros", they'd still be the same cars.
    of course, camaros are 2 doors with v-8s available. could also callem mustangs & challengers.
    they fixed the daytona track, & now the cars are too fast. can't win.

vCash

Junior's on the pole !!!
    well, the most popular driver screwed that up. now he gets to start last.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 btk108's Avatar
    vCash

Shake and Bake!

Well I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

Junior is washed up.....he's a has been. I can't wait for this nationwide race tomorrow.....so we can see what happens with 43 out there. Go Smoke!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Whenever I hear NASCAR arranged a phantom yellow flag for debris near the end of a race when the wrong driver is winning, I can't help but think of the similarities to WWF pro wrasslin tag team matches when one guy is about to win, but the opponent's partner or promoter interferes from outside the ring. This happens enough that it is not purely by chance. I'm afraid because of this and other hokey crap, I just can't consider NASCAR a legitimate sport.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

The "racing season" started a few weeks ago for me with the 24 Hours of Daytona, I watch Nascar until the other series that I am interested in start up.

World Superbike starts this weekend, Formula 1 may have their season delayed by the unrest in Bahrain.

vCash

Is it OK for NASCAR to use the word "Digger"?