Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Mubarak: will he stay in power or will the Red Sea come crashing down on him?

If I was Mubarak, I would have my billions in stolen money wired overseas, country of safe haven bribed, stolen chunks of pyramids and Tut jewels for memories sake packed away, and my plane fueled and ready to leave. He's hosed.

vCash

Re: Mubarak: will he stay in power or will the Red Sea come crashing down on him?

If I where him, I'd get the hell out of Cairo before I get Ceausecued.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Mubarak: will he stay in power or will the Red Sea come crashing down on him?

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    If I where him, I'd get the hell out of Cairo before I get Ceausecued.
    I don't know much about Egypt, but it looks like the army could still shuffle him out of the country to retirement. That's probably why he still appears confident that he can last to Sept -- he feels that he could still safely flee with his family if/when it comes to that.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The red sea must be at his neck by now. He'll be out in a week, the most.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    If I was Mubarak, I would have my billions in stolen money wired overseas, country of safe haven bribed, stolen chunks of pyramids and Tut jewels for memories sake packed away, and my plane fueled and ready to leave. He's hosed.
    Shah? Is that you?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Talking Re: Mubarak: will he stay in power or will the Red Sea come crashing down on him?

.....the Heavens opened, and a thundering voice said...."Hosni, how long can you tread water?"
    (Maybe he will flee into the Land of Canaan?)
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlbqSooner View Post
    Shah? Is that you?
    A Third World Dictator is a Third World Dictator, and I suspect they all do the same thing when they are deposed: loot their country's money, look for a country of safe haven and preferably bribe their government; and then make some speech about how noble and heroic they are and how they love their people, and then fight extradition because it probably means a death sentence.

On a serious note, if Mubarak falls, it is of major concern to the U.S. Iron fisted as he is, he is nevertheless a point of stability in the Middle East, sort of like Hussein was in Iraq. Egypt has a treaty with Israel, and who knows what their relationship would be like if Mubarak fell. The rioters represent many factions, so it would be a crap shoot as to who rules - or maybe a civil war breaks out. The outcome might be much less desirable than having Mubarak's government in charge. If it spreads to the rest of the Arab world, well, obviously we are concerned first and foremost about oil, and then Israel and terrorism.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The key is the Egyptian military. They seem to be secular and not interested in stopping the massive US aid, and not interested in having an ayatollah as a leader.

I understand the anger around the world, when our leaders clamor freedom, democracy, justice and equality, and yet they have been in bed with Mubarak for 30 years.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerNate's Avatar
    vCash

Look what happens when Obama opens his mouth where he doesn't belong:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/me...ene/index.html
    twitter: @ palmbeachsooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

When Sadat was shot, Mubarek stepped in and did the world a favor by getting out of an endless war cycle with Israel.
    He also did the world a great favor by hammering the Muslim Brotherhood remorselessly for a generation.
    Someone said he'd had 12 very good years followed by about 20 increasingly bad ones.
    Seems about the right assessment to me. The guy needs to go and I hope is playing for time right now only to set up an interim government headed by someone like Al Baradei (who I don't particularly like, but who's far preferable to a lot of the alternatives).
    And if he lined his pockets, well, he's far from the first. The retirement programs for African heads of state are a bit sketchy.

As to the US? Well, we played the cards dealt to suit our interests. Anyone who 'blames' us for that needs to take a deep breath and calm down. Acting in one's own self interest is what our military and diplomats are paid to do. It is amusing to note that the people who are clamoring for the US to 'do something' about Mubarek are the same people who are typically bitching about US 'intervention'. Their position has no intellectual cogency or moral force and instead represents a mental condition of paralyzed juvenile dependency.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

It's not our right to tell a sovereign leader what to do or when.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Or another people how to organize themselves or how to pick their leaders.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerNate View Post
    It's not our right to tell a sovereign leader what to do or when.
    unless they are named Saddam

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    unless they are named Saddam
    Has Mubarak violated 13 UN sanctions?

vCash

we went against the UN on that deal, if you remember

we like to back stabilizing dictators over there. i wonder why so many of the people hate us?

vCash

I bet the Kurds in Northern Iraq would love to have Saddam back in power.

He seemed nice.

vCash

No, but intelligence shows he is harboring Al Queda and he also has Weapons of Mass Destruction.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member VeeJay's Avatar
    vCash

When the pyramids come down - and they ARE coming down - I wonder if Time-Life or G. Gordon Liddy will be doing infomercials, selling pieces of them?

Speculators would be wise to get in on the action.
    Posse resident guru on police brutality, Lady Gaga and lawnmower repair parts

vCash

Wonderful. So it looks like Obama is siding with those kidnapping and threatening to behead our media. This man (Hussein Obama) is clearly a radical Muslim.

vCash

I am voting for The Red Sea.