Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

It's not just the SEC.....

I have been thinking and if you look at the BCS era it has largely been dominated by the South in general:

11 of the 13 national titles reside in the following 6 states:
    Florida (4)
    Alabama (2)
    Louisiana (2)
    Tennessee (1)
    Texas (1)
    Oklahoma (1)

The only two states that broke this trend:

California - vacated
    Ohio - beat Miami in OT

We are a pass interference call away from 12 of the 12 recognized national titles residing in 6 of the 50 U.S. states.

Moral of the story......football is pretty important down here.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: It's not just the SEC.....

Migration.
    I set my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser" and now it records the Longhorn Network all day.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

I agree. We may be in different conferences but culturally we're more the same than not--that includes football.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

good observation
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Half a Hundred's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas View Post
    Moral of the story......football is pretty important down here.
    Moral of the story - areas with high populations of African-Americans tend to have success in high-level athletics.
    Greatest program of the modern era.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    Migration.
    Mexican football?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Half a Hundred View Post
    Moral of the story - areas with high populations of African-Americans tend to have success in high-level athletics.
    Really?

I would bet it has to do with the fact of less schools being in those areas. Or at least schools known for football.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's also cultural. For whatever reason, colleges in the North and East simply care less about football than schools in the South and West.

I personally chalk this up to rampant nancy-ism in the Northeast; but don't have any peer reviewed data to support this conclusion.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
    vCash

I agree that it's regional and cultural. As a kid in NY, we played hockey in the winter on the frozen neighborhood street. Not so much here.

Lacrosse, anyone?
    I got a bad mustache
    a recurring rash
    and not a lot of cash.
    I spend it on my stash.
    Man it's good to be a geek!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    A better idea would be for posters to stop being cockgobbling dooshrockets for the sport of it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonermagik's Avatar
    vCash

Spot on. Plus, who wants to go play football in the constant ice boxes up North? Very few college teams have domes up there, which surprises me.

Football in general seems to be a bigger deal in the South.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

And Lacrosse should be a much bigger deal down here. Awesome sport. Any sport where you can bash your opponent over the head with a metal pipe should have great crowd appeal across most of SEC/B12 territory.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Wild West Wench
    vCash

It's definitely cultural, but it's also location. The kids here in FL can play either flag or tackle football year round, starting at about 6. Now that can lead to burnout, but when you're 18, and you've played 100x more football than some kid from the frozen tundra, there's bound to be an advantage.

Latigo Beach ... nice point break ... long workable rides.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    And Lacrosse should be a much bigger deal down here. Awesome sport. Any sport where you can bash your opponent over the head with a metal pipe should have great crowd appeal across most of SEC/B12 territory.
    Not so fast my friend ... that would be a 1 - 3 minute personal foul.

I'll chime in here since I probably know more about lacrosse than football. The sport is growing in the youth and high school ranks in the bigger metro areas outside of its traditional northeast / mid-atlantic roots. It is a great sport that is fun to both watch and play (especially by more atheletes of more average size). Unfortunately its growth at the Division 1 college level (especially in the mens game) is inhibited by Title IX. However there are players from FL, GA, TX, CA and other "non-traditional" states playing at the higher level.
    "OK ... l know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule ... and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing your break, right?"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Not so fast my friend ... that would be a 1 - 3 minute personal foul.

I'll chime in here since I probably know more about lacrosse than football. The sport is growing in the youth and high school ranks in the bigger metro areas outside of its traditional northeast / mid-atlantic roots. It is a great sport that is fun to both watch and play (especially by more atheletes of more average size). Unfortunately its growth at the Division 1 college level (especially in the mens game) is inhibited by Title IX. However there are players from FL, GA, TX, CA and other "non-traditional" states playing at the higher level.
    Isn't lacrosse a game originated by the Native Americans? It should be a big deal in this region for that reason alone!
    "Those who circumscribe your circumference, control the diameter of your thinking!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Half a Hundred View Post
    That's funny. I would love to agree with that since I am African American but there are more high level sports than Football and Basketball. I think it has much more to do with exposure, if you are insinuating that Blacks are better athletes than others.
    "Those who circumscribe your circumference, control the diameter of your thinking!"

Latigo Beach ... nice point break ... long workable rides.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadoodoo View Post
    Isn't lacrosse a game originated by the Native Americans? It should be a big deal in this region for that reason alone!
    Most definitely! What is takes is some transplants starting up programs at the youth and high school levels. Once it catches on with the atheletes it will grow. Unlike football, which can be a grind in practice, lacrosse is always fun!
    "OK ... l know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule ... and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing your break, right?"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 prrriiide's Avatar
    vCash

A good friend's kid graduated from high school here in Knoxville last year and is now attending Mercer U in Macon, GA on a lacrosse scholly.
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria.

I know I am splitting hairs but if you want to be logical, USC is a southern school. I don't know why they cease to be southern simply because they are in the west. To carry the logic you would have to consider Florida and Georgia eastern schools instead of southern. This has always bugged me. I know that we are talking traditional civil war south but there were minor battles in Arizona, New Mexico and California but for some reason they don't count as southern........ so is Montana Oregon and Washington not northern?...

Oh well.....getting back to football tOSU is the last team located in the north that has been consistent. There has been a general state of decay in the quality of coaches and players in the northern regions, which is odd since most northern teams recruit heavily in the south.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

well, they do have "southern" in their name. can't be "western" CA, san fran is much further west. even reno is further west.

could be called "south central" cause they're in south central LA.

it's beyond me.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I agree with the OP and think it's a good point.

Fwiw, it's not that football isn't important in other areas. I'm in New England and football is EXTREMELY important -- just not college football (or college athletics in general). Pro stuff just gets more love here, for whatever reason. I moved here from Louisville KY, for instance, where it was the exact opposite.

Also, it should be noted that kids growing up in cold climates still play football outside. We did it when I was growing up in SD (yeah, I've moved a lot), they do it here in NH, you just put on clothes and deal with it. A part of it might be that MN and New England "lose" a lot of athletes to hockey, which probably doesn't happen as much in FL, AL, OK, etc.

Just my thoughts.