Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 kelloggOUballa's Avatar
    The University of Oklahoma: Norman, Oklahoma
    vCash

Wonder how our team feels...

when they look up in the stands and see 20 fans in the seats. After our troubles the past couple years, we finally get a core group of guys who are dedicated to the program and work their butts off, and that is their reward... pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Anyone without an excuse of location/work/etc. (i.e those watching from Norman at home), should make an effort to make it out. It's not an excuse for the poor performance, but it would be nice to be able to say we have a home-court advantage.
    TAKE IT BACK

'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00

March 8, 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r View Post
    Or... at least 7 -5 and have us go to..

now...

which bowl game did you go to this past year?...

and...

was it even televised?
    Epic.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Wonder how our team feels...

School still isn't in session, so that hurts attendance too...Not that our bball student section is anything to write home about anyway.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

vCash

I somewhat agree with the OP, but I believe the attendance rests on the performance of the team. The team sucks, so no one wants to go. They need to give the fans a reason to attend.
    1950 1955 1956 1974 1975 1985 2000
    2000 2002 2004 2006 2007 2008 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 kelloggOUballa's Avatar
    The University of Oklahoma: Norman, Oklahoma
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I somewhat agree with the OP, but I believe the attendance rests on the performance of the team. The team sucks, so no one wants to go. They need to give the fans a reason to attend.
    For a pro team, I would agree with that, no question. Shouldn't be that way for a college team. Hate the coaches if you want, call for their firing, etc., but still show up. That's the way I look at it.
    TAKE IT BACK

'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00

March 8, 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r View Post
    Or... at least 7 -5 and have us go to..

now...

which bowl game did you go to this past year?...

and...

was it even televised?
    Epic.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

Baseball will have a higher average attendance than basketball will this year and that's not counting the fans that sit along the hill in the outfield!
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

I've been to every game and enjoyed every painful minute of it!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

This is the same gripe we have heard even during the good years.
    Newsflash: OU basketball is not as popular as OU football

Please get over it and accept it people. I seriously doubt that any of these players came here thinking LNC would be like Phog Allen fieldhouse on gameday.
    I'm amazed that b-ball attendance is still newsworthy to any of you. Can't we just dredge up an old thread on the subject instead of starting a new one?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

The attendance today was better than I expected. Of course, the AD pulled out all the stops to get people there, but at least it was a respectable crowd.

vCash

I don't think anyone ever said they expected it to be like Phog Allen, I think it would just be nice to consistently see a half full arena and right now it's not even close. Not only is it embarrassing to see on tv, but it also seriously damages the atmosphere which is one of the things that makes the games so fun.
    And if you really care that much about starting new threads about old topics then don't read them.

vCash

Do the ushers still come down and check your ticket if one of the Season Ticket Holders complains that you are cheering to loud and make you move back to the upper section when there are 5000-7000 open seats?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

People generally don't like to go to events where there is 0 chance of victory. Many people probably value spending time with their family or generally doing something productive with their day.

I totally understand it.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Do the ushers still come down and check your ticket if one of the Season Ticket Holders complains that you are cheering to loud and make you move back to the upper section when there are 5000-7000 open seats?
    I sit in the student section so I really don't have to worry about season ticket holders but the yellow shirts keep a close watch at the top and bottom of the stairs just in case some one starts cheering too loud and upsets the people in the section over.

Seriously though, they are pretty strict about seeing an ID and student ticket when coming back down from getting food but supposedly they let you down after the first tv time out or something but Ive never gone up after that so I don't know if they actually do it. We couldn't have GA ticket buyers sitting in all those empty donor seats now could we? One of them might actully decide to show up for once and be mighty inconvenienced to find someone in their seat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas View Post
    People generally don't like to go to events where there is 0 chance of victory. Many people probably value spending time with their family or generally doing something productive with their day.

I totally understand it.....
    I understand wanting to spend time with family, but no one said people have to make it to every game. If just 1/10 of the people that attend every football game tried to get to a few basketball games, it would really make a difference. I mean, if the football team suddenly became the team of the 90's would you just not go?

vCash

It's not just Oklahoma. everywhere you go not named duke, kansas or big east schools attendance for college basketball is lacking. College basketball has lost it's luster and IMO is just not that fun anymore. People pay good money for tickets and they want to see athletes do amazing things. In these days at the college level you don't get that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I Am Right's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kelloggOUballa View Post
    when they look up in the stands and see 20 fans in the seats. After our troubles the past couple years, we finally get a core group of guys who are dedicated to the program and work their butts off, and that is their reward... pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Anyone without an excuse of location/work/etc. (i.e those watching from Norman at home), should make an effort to make it out. It's not an excuse for the poor performance, but it would be nice to be able to say we have a home-court advantage.
    I will look for you in the stands while I watch on TV.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

At the game vs. UCA I could actually hear a lady halfway across the arena singing along with the National Anthem.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KBoomer11 View Post
    It's not just Oklahoma. everywhere you go not named duke, kansas or big east schools attendance for college basketball is lacking. College basketball has lost it's luster and IMO is just not that fun anymore. People pay good money for tickets and they want to see athletes do amazing things. In these days at the college level you don't get that.
    Even UNC was having trouble with attendance before their recent resurgence.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oulucas View Post
    At the game vs. UCA I could actually hear a lady halfway across the arena singing along with the National Anthem.
    Uhm, that was me.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

NP and I will be attending the game where we host KU in February and promise to stay even if our own fans are chanting "Rock Chalk" by that point. We'll also be attending the women's Baylor game that's on the same weekend.

Me at the last home football game this season:

As you can see, taking your winter cap off can mess with your hair...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Me at the last home football game this season:

As you can see, taking your winter cap off can mess with your hair...