Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Casa de Bad Karma...

The house across the street from us. It’s got all kinds of bad karma.

Bad Karma, Part I: Sok it to me, baby.

Back in the 90's the Sok family moved into this brand new house the same time we moved into ours…. Husband and wife with 3 kids. The couple was originally from Cambodia with the kids born here in California. The husband was a physician who worked at the county hospital, while the wife was a stay-at-home mom. It was the golden years of the Clinton Presidency.

I never really became well acquainted with Dr. Sok – just small chat at the mailbox or at the curb doing lawn work. He seemed to live a mundane life of working lots of hours and spending his free time in the garage either on his treadmill or playing table tennis with his kids, when he wasn’t doing yard work. He was a really nice, very quiet, unassuming dutiful kind of guy.

And then ….. wham! Dr. Sok disappears, seemingly, off the face of the earth.

But Mrs. Sok eventually finds out that he has returned to Cambodia to be with another woman – the love of his life, he says. He claims that he was forced into his marriage by gunpoint - - they were paired by Pol Pot's ruthless Khmer Rouge regime and married alongside 100 other couples. He was never coming back to see his wife and kids again.

But the real punch-in-the-gut was he took all the family savings and had recently taken out the largest possible home equity loan (this was before the bubble burst on home values in California) and took all that money with him, as well.

So, Mrs. Sok, with two kids in high school and a third who had just been admitted to UC Davis was left high and dry with no income, no savings, no job skills, a mortgage and a home equity loan payment.

Mrs. Sok and her kids could not afford the mortgage and home equity loan payment so they had to sell the house quickly at a bargain sale price, and move into a little apartment. The daughter’s plans to attend UC Davis bit the dust. Mrs. Sok became a housekeeper earning $8.50/hour.

His kids were all pretty good kids from what I could tell and his wife was a very attractive woman … she had not let herself go after 3 kids and twenty-something years of marriage.

That he did this just blew me away….

Postscript: A couple of years later the issue is dealt with in superior court. Mrs. Sok is trying to get alimony and child support. Mr. Sok’s attorney argues that the marriage never existed. The Khmer Rouge regime of brutal dictator Pol Pot was later overthrown, and couples had three years beginning in 2002 to register their marriages with the new government, which Soks never did. They had moved to the United States in 1980.

The good news is that the court ruled in favor of Mrs. Sok. In California, marriages can be dissolved if one person was forced into it. The catch is that, by law, you have four years from the date of the marriage to challenge it. She was awarded $250,000. While it would be difficult to collect from Dr. Sok as a Cambodian resident, the court latched onto all of his U.S. retirement funds which were enough to make good on the award.
    Ingles solamente (ˇno exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Casa de Bad Karma...

I love happy endings - especially from cambodian wimmens.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post

The house across the street from us. It’s got all kinds of bad karma.

Bad Karma, Part I: Sok it to me, baby.

Back in the 90's the Sok family moved into this brand new house the same time we moved into ours…. Husband and wife with 3 kids. The couple was originally from Cambodia with the kids born here in California. The husband was a physician who worked at the county hospital, while the wife was a stay-at-home mom. It was the golden years of the Clinton Presidency.

I never really became well acquainted with Dr. Sok – just small chat at the mailbox or at the curb doing lawn work. He seemed to live a mundane life of working lots of hours and spending his free time in the garage either on his treadmill or playing table tennis with his kids, when he wasn’t doing yard work. He was a really nice, very quiet, unassuming dutiful kind of guy.

And then ….. wham! Dr. Sok disappears, seemingly, off the face of the earth.

But Mrs. Sok eventually finds out that he has returned to Cambodia to be with another woman – the love of his life, he says. He claims that he was forced into his marriage by gunpoint - - they were paired by Pol Pot's ruthless Khmer Rouge regime and married alongside 100 other couples. He was never coming back to see his wife and kids again.

But the real punch-in-the-gut was he took all the family savings and had recently taken out the largest possible home equity loan (this was before the bubble burst on home values in California) and took all that money with him, as well.

So, Mrs. Sok, with two kids in high school and a third who had just been admitted to UC Davis was left high and dry with no income, no savings, no job skills, a mortgage and a home equity loan payment.

Mrs. Sok and her kids could not afford the mortgage and home equity loan payment so they had to sell the house quickly at a bargain sale price, and move into a little apartment. The daughter’s plans to attend UC Davis bit the dust. Mrs. Sok became a housekeeper earning $8.50/hour.

His kids were all pretty good kids from what I could tell and his wife was a very attractive woman … she had not let herself go after 3 kids and twenty-something years of marriage.

That he did this just blew me away….

Postscript: A couple of years later the issue is dealt with in superior court. Mrs. Sok is trying to get alimony and child support. Mr. Sok’s attorney argues that the marriage never existed. The Khmer Rouge regime of brutal dictator Pol Pot was later overthrown, and couples had three years beginning in 2002 to register their marriages with the new government, which Soks never did. They had moved to the United States in 1980.

The good news is that the court ruled in favor of Mrs. Sok. In California, marriages can be dissolved if one person was forced into it. The catch is that, by law, you have four years from the date of the marriage to challenge it. She was awarded $250,000. While it would be difficult to collect from Dr. Sok as a Cambodian resident, the court latched onto all of his U.S. retirement funds which were enough to make good on the award.
    She shoulda seen a good lawyer. She likely had an undivided interest in the property as a joint tenant. If she didn't sign the security agreement on the home equity line of credit, then her interest in the property would not be subject to it.

Edit: Though that's only the majority rule. Minority rule is that the joint tenancy would be destroyed by the mortgage and only her remaining half-interest would be free of the second mortgage. AL follows the minority rule, don't know about CA.
    Last edited by Frozen Sooner; 1/8/2011 at 11:42 AM.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    She shoulda seen a good lawyer. She likely had an undivided interest in the property as a joint tenant. If she didn't sign the security agreement on the home equity line of credit, then her interest in the property would not be subject to it.

Edit: Though that's only the majority rule. Minority rule is that the joint tenancy would be destroyed by the mortgage and only her remaining half-interest would be free of the second mortgage. AL follows the minority rule, don't know about CA.
    On the home equity loan, I suspect Dr. Sok simply said "we need to sign some papers at the bank," and she did so without questioning it. Until he actually left, I don't think she had any reason to suspect he was going to jump ship.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Ah. Well, then, that changes things.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

so where's part II?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    so where's part II?
    Exactly

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

PART II.
    Who do think is paying her $8.50 an hour for housekeeping?
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

vCash

so where's part II?
    Thats the part where his Illegal In-Laws have moved in
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

so where's part II?
    Trilogies aren't written in a day, you know. Part II is in my head and I'll get it written soon. With pictures.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUHOMER View Post
    PART II.
    Who do think is paying her $8.50 an hour for housekeeping?
    Not sure, what do companies like Merrymaids pay their maids? Probably not much more than minimum wage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Thats the part where his Illegal In-Laws have moved in
    No, Part II involves who moved in though, and the bad karma continues.

vCash

BAD KARMA PART II

Mrs. Sok had to sell the house well below market value to get out in a hurry.

She sold it to the Youngs, an African American family with a husband, wife, teenaged son, and an elderly parent. The wife is a nurse and the husband was “retired” but never said from what. He looked like a retired NFL defensive tackle but I don’t think he was. Just built like one.

In their first full summer in the house, they did a complete overhaul of the landscaping – both front and back yards. The Soks had laid concrete in the back yard for a mini-basketball court, but the Youngs had all the concrete blasted and dug up and thrown in a construction-sized dumpster that set in front of their house all summer. The father made the teenaged son do all the concrete hauling as far as I saw and a lot of the work in installing the new lawn. He worked the kid pretty hard in the hot summer sun. They also gave the outside of the house a new paint job

In addition they did lots of work inside the house, although I never went in to see it.

Within the next year or so, I began noticing that they weren’t around very much. They seemed to show up once a week or so, to mow the lawn, etc., but it became clear they weren’t there on a regular basis.

Another neighbor explained to me that the Youngs were battling the city over code violations. Apparently some of the electrical work they had done inside the house violated city code. As a result, the city laid down the law and said the house could not be occupied. The city shut down the gas and electric service to the house to enforce this! Here's a pic showing that the gas and electric meters have been removed.

The house has been unoccupied for nearly three years now. The husband, wife, and the elderly parent moved to Fresno, but would show up about once a week to do the yard work. However, they no longer do the yard work, they snagged my gardener, Gustavo, and asked him to do it. So Gustavo does their lawn the same day he does mine, and they mail him a check to cover it.

In a casual drive-by, one would never guess the house has been unoccupied for 3 years, with the yard work done every week.

I can’t understand the financial angle in this. They have to pay property tax and association fees in addition to Gustavo's lawn maintenance fees. It seems like it would be much cheaper to fix the electrical code violations and either sell the house or move back in. The only thing I can think of is maybe the Youngs are suing the city over wrongful eviction or something.

PART III, coming soon...
    Last edited by SanJoaquinSooner; 7/4/2011 at 11:28 AM.

vCash

i think it's awesome that you have a lawn guy named Gustavo.
    "Stevo, you are such a hussy..." - pphilfran
    "its true. she is. (add THAT to your sig, hussy!!!)" - dyner
    omelet posse whorseradish saucier

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jumperstop's Avatar
    vCash

I'm shopping for homes and most of the foreclosures I see I have the gas and the electrical removed. That might explain something. Maybe they're still in pre foreclosure.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerchk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    It almost sounds like he could be a butler.
    Omelet Posse Omelette

"even when they stumble more than once, they never step into dog**** ... f***in' sooner magic."~another sad horn

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Stevo, if you still haven't been to San Francisco, you should take a road trip with olevet when he comes out. A Stevo and Olevet roadtrip might make a story Hollywood would be willing to purchase.

vCash

only if he'll let me drive!
    "Stevo, you are such a hussy..." - pphilfran
    "its true. she is. (add THAT to your sig, hussy!!!)" - dyner
    omelet posse whorseradish saucier

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jumperstop View Post
    I'm shopping for homes and most of the foreclosures I see I have the gas and the electrical removed. That might explain something. Maybe they're still in pre foreclosure.
    But for three years? In the foreclosures I've seen around town, the families pack up and leave never to be seen again - and usually the bank puts a "for sale" sign up at some point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerchk View Post
    It almost sounds like he could be a butler.
    Butler. I always think of Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day.