Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

"The OU professor to avoid"

I was once told this about a certain history professor, that to take his class was to take an F and to have absolutely no chance of passing by midterm. I never took his class, but after reading this, I can see why students have a difficult time with him.

OU professor: Heck no to techno

I am sure anyone who has attended OU recently knows that I am referring to none other than William Savage. There are other professors out there that are determined to fail you, yes, but I've heard that this one absolutely stacks the deck against students, even for 1000 level classes.

I am probably being unfair - I've never taken his classes. Anyone here experience his teaching?

vCash

Re: "The OU professor to avoid"

Not him, but there used to be an EE prof named Zelby that was the reason I changed majors. He was Hungarian and still sported the concentration camp tatoo'ed numbers on his forearms from his childhood.

I can't imagine what a miserable experience he went through, but he seemed bound and determined to make everyone else's life just as miserable.

Deer lowered I hated that man.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerchk's Avatar
    vCash

Meh, they said that about Intermediate Accounting as well and I still survived.
    Omelet Posse Omelette

"even when they stumble more than once, they never step into dog**** ... f***in' sooner magic."~another sad horn

vCash

There was a prof in the JMC college that seemed to especially hate male students, but every student warned everyone else to avoid her classes. I didn't listen and somehow made a B, but worked my arse off for it. I wonder if that's why people take this guy's class... that and not being able to get into other History prof's classes I guess

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Boomer_Sooner_sax's Avatar
    vCash

I had this professor and the horror stories are true. I had to retake Oklahoma history...seriously. That guy is a few cents shy of a dollar. Oh, and I wasn't the only one retaking that stupid class either. Over half of my first class was retaking it as well, thankfully, with a different professor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    Yes there is: Two women in handcuffs, going to town on each other like their special lady areas have the antidote.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PhxSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    Not him, but there used to be an EE prof named Zelby that was the reason I changed majors. He was Hungarian and still sported the concentration camp tatoo'ed numbers on his forearms from his childhood.

I can't imagine what a miserable experience he went through, but he seemed bound and determined to make everyone else's life just as miserable.

My husband had him. Absolutely brutal class. People were happy to get out with a D.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I was once told this about a certain history professor, that to take his class was to take an F and to have absolutely no chance of passing by midterm. I never took his class, but after reading this, I can see why students have a difficult time with him.

OU professor: Heck no to techno

I am sure anyone who has attended OU recently knows that I am referring to none other than William Savage. There are other professors out there that are determined to fail you, yes, but I've heard that this one absolutely stacks the deck against students, even for 1000 level classes.

I am probably being unfair - I've never taken his classes. Anyone here experience his teaching?

Savage, who tries to have a cigar in his hand whenever he has a photo taken “because it's offensive"

I have no use for people who try to wrap themselves up in a blanket of self-importance.

vCash

If you study and do the work he asks of you....how bad can it be?

You people who expect to get a "C" for showing up kill me.

I had a Physics Teacher that once told me I wouldn't do well in his class. I asked why. He told me he doesn't like men with facial hair. I'm still not sure why he felt that way....but I'm proud of that "C" I got from his class.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

if he hated christianity you people would love him

vCash

future SicEm?

a buddy of mine had Zelby in the 80's i think. a couple of years ago he said he ran into him at OU. i don't think he's still teaching, but still around doing something.

but anyway, Savage is right about some things. Powerpoint, for example. i guess it can be used properly, but lots of times, it really sucks sitting through those things. using technology is a balance. i find a lot of merit in eschewing tech some in places.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by waynepayne View Post
    Savage, who tries to have a cigar in his hand whenever he has a photo taken “because it's offensive"

I have no use for people who try to wrap themselves up in a blanket of self-importance.
    I know, right?

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

I'll bet this guy is a hoarder...if his office looks like that imagine his house..

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    I know, right?

the_ouskull
    The irony police called. You're going to jail.
    Atheist.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Ingles solamente (ˇno exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post

Is he the guy who would give students five minutes to ask questions at the end of class, and if he didn't like the question he'd say "too trivial, too trivial" and go to the next question. There were days when every single question was "too trivial". I went to his office to ask a question, he said "did you read the book?" I said yes. He said, "did you speak to the TA?" I said yes, but I still didn't understand. He then said, "well, read the book again, and if you still don't understand it talk to a TA". He put his headphones on and spun around in his chair.

He got me out of the EE program in a hurry.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    No one thinks he's hot?

vCash

Thumbs up Re: "The OU professor to avoid"

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    future SicEm?

a buddy of mine had Zelby in the 80's i think. a couple of years ago he said he ran into him at OU. i don't think he's still teaching, but still around doing something.

but anyway, Savage is right about some things. Powerpoint, for example. i guess it can be used properly, but lots of times, it really sucks sitting through those things. using technology is a balance. i find a lot of merit in eschewing tech some in places.
    You're exactly right about that. I can't tell you how many training classes I've sat through to have someone stand in front of me and just read the powerpoint presentation to me. It's insane. In the cases I've seen them misused....the program is great for on-line training for specifics and overview and sometimes in reviewing prior to taking a test on the material they want you to know.....but as a tool for a classroom (?) It takes away from me either reading the powerpoint or takes away from me listening to the guy who is teaching. If anything...it would be a great tool to give out prior to a session/meeting or class and could also be a great way for the speaker to stay on track....but as the complete tool for getting a point across....Hell...I can read. I don't need his help. I'm sure I've seen other misuse but this is one that gets me everytime I see it. It's like the guy who made it the presentation just learned how to use powerpoint and is trying to say "Look at me...I'm a geek now!"....lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ratemyprofessor
    terrible instructor. I made an F in his class, and until now I was an honors Sr. with a 4.0. His exams are vague,and he isn't specific about what he wants you to know.
    I realize that Rate My Prof, Pick a Prof and Kill a Prof (just kidding about the last one) are all basically revenge sites - you hate the professor, so if you aren't satisfied with badmouthing them on the evaluation, you can badmouth them further on these sites. But... when the comments are nearly universally bad, then it isn't just about students expecting C's for showing up, but some actual issues.

btw, fun site for professors and those who hate them here. here's an example:

Quote Originally Posted by that site
    Pretentious Twit of the Year Award

Background: A philosophy professor at Syracuse University has a policy that if even one student in a class reads a newspaper or texts during class, he ends the class on the spot and walks out. One student complained:

“We the students are the customers, the consumers, the ones who make the choice every day to pay attention or not. I pay approximately $30,000 to go here, whether I text in class or not.

Get real here. I pay $30K a year? Not very likely. If this student does have that kind of personal wealth, he's too dumb to keep it for very long. But I seriously doubt that. More likely Mummy and Daddy are paying it, or he's getting financial aid, in which case donors to the university and taxpayers are paying it. Or maybe he's taking out loans, which he will pay back, maybe. Unless it becomes inconvenient and he files for bankruptcy. But it's virtually certain this student himself is not the paying customer.

Administrator
    vCash

There's two OU profs I hated.

1. Dr. Dorscine Spigner-Littles. Racist bitch who ate cheetos and drank Dr. Pepper while indoctrinating..er I meant teaching. All the problems in the entire universe are the fault of white males. Period.

2. Dr. Harold Grasmick. Not a bad guy, but if you don't love math with a burning passion that borders on sexual obsession, you're ****ed in his classes. I copped a B in a stats class when working on my Master's, and I worked harder for that B than all the A's I got put together.

vCash

i don't know why i remember Grasmick's name. i think i worked on his computer or helped him on the phone and didn't enjoy the process... just a vague impression of doosh in my memory.

most of my profs have been good. i did have a couple of math professors that were pretty rough, and i'm what most would call "good at math"