Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy Death of a Program

OU Basketball died last month. A few of you noticed and probably mourned. Others heard the news and it brought them pause, like thinking of somebody for the first time in a long while and wondering what ever happened to them.

But, make no mistake, OU Basketball is dead.

It had glimpses of greatness and periods of darkness. It had moments of joy and doses of heartache.

OU Basketball was never better than from 1982 through 2009. In those 28 seasons OU Basketball established itself as a great program; a program to truly be proud of and whose accomplishments shouldn't be taken lightly.

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball posted these numbers:

2: Final Fours
    5: Elite Eights
    8: Sweet Sixteens
    22: NCAA Tournament Appearances
    5: Conference Championships
    6: Conference Tournament Championships
    5: 30-win seasons
    19: 20-win seasons
    25: consecutive seasons with a postseason appearance (longest in USA when it ended)

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball produced the greatest player in the history of the Big 8 Conference (Wayman Tisdale) and the only #1 pick in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Blake Griffin).

Presiding over the funeral will be the head coach, Jeff Capel. Under Capel, OU Basketball has reached lofty heights (first top-2 ranking since 1990) and depressing lows (first losing season since 1981). The 2011 season will, more than likely, be OU's second consecutive losing season...a depth that hasn't been achieved by the program since 1967.

Since Capel took over, OU Basketball has posted the following:

1: Losing season
    2: Losing conference slates
    10: Players who left before their junior years or earlier.
    35: Double-digit losses
    9: Game losing streak to end 2010, the longest since a 10-game streak in 1964.

Assisting with the casket will be the OU Athletic Department who, in light of last season's despicable closure, voted to not change the donation levels for lower level seats. It still requires a donation of $250 per seat to sit behind the goals and $500 per seat to sit along the sidelines even though most believe the 2011 OU Basketball team will finish either 11th or 12th in the final season of Big 12 Basketball.

Also on hand will be members of the front office of the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose team has feasted on former Sooner fans who once sat on the fence of OU Basketball fandom. With the success of the Thunder, more and more Sooner fans choose to spend their money in downtown Oklahoma City rather than inside the confines of the Lloyd Noble Center.

Also in attendance will be Sherri Coale, whose grass roots approach to marketing her basketball team has further ciphoned fans from the OU Basketball men. She has proven again and again that success can be attained by running a generally drama-free program stocked with solid, upstanding citizens who can connect with the "down-home" virtues of those fans who love their basketball in this great state.

It has been an exhilarating ride. But all good things must come to an end. In lieu of flowers those who love OU Basketball ask that you sit back and think of what once was, and what will probably never be again.

Think of Alvan.
    Think of Wayman.
    Think of cutting down the nets in Allen Fieldhouse.
    Think of T-Mac, Choo and DJ.
    Think of Harvey, Mookie, Dave, Stacey and Ricky.
    Think of the Skeeter Meter.
    Think of Ski.
    Think of Billy.
    Think of The Creator and The Helicopter.
    Think of Kelvin.
    Think of Minor and Ontjes.
    Think of Abercrombie from the corner.
    Think of Eduardo.
    Think of Hollis and Quannas and Ebi and Aaron and Jabahri.
    Think of Bookout and Taj and Terrell.
    Think of AJ and Crocker.
    Think of Blake.

Those who love OU Basketball, they thank you for your kind thoughts.

And they ask that the last one to leave please turn out the lights.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Death of a Program

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
    Also in attendance will be Sherri Coale, whose grass roots approach to marketing her basketball team has further ciphoned fans from the OU Basketball men. She has proven again and again that success can be attained by running a generally drama-free program stocked with solid, upstanding citizens who can connect with the "down-home" virtues of those fans who love their basketball in this great state.
    Welcome back 04... I know this is a Sherri compliment, but I would have to dispute your assertion that OU fans are switching allegiance to the women's team.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

We have the worst record of any BCS conference team.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Bring back Kevin Simpson.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Until there is a turnaround....

"Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

gayyyy
    i love you blake griffin

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I am with ya Sooner 04.....and welcome back.

I was at the Big 12 championship game this weekend and when they showed Capel's mug on the jumbotron I got pissed internally just thinking about it. Unfortunately, he represents all that is wrong with OU basketball to me right now.

I don't totally blame him...I think there are many people to blame, looking at you Joe C., but for now I will be relying on OU football and Thunder basketball to tide me over till later in the decade when we get a chance at a fresh start.
    Last edited by soonervegas; 12/8/2010 at 04:52 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

This is overly dramatic.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

OU Basketball died last month. A few of you noticed and probably mourned. Others heard the news and it brought them pause, like thinking of somebody for the first time in a long while and wondering what ever happened to them.

It had glimpses of greatness and periods of darkness. It had moments of joy and doses of heartache.

OU Basketball was never better than from 1982 through 2009. In those 28 seasons OU Basketball established itself as a great program; a program to truly be proud of and whose accomplishments shouldn't be taken lightly.

3: Elite Eights
    3: Sweet Sixteens
    25: consecutive seasons with a postseason appearance (longest in USA when it ended)

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball produced the greatest player in the history of the Big 8 Conference (Wayman Tisdale) and the only #1 pick in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Blake Griffin).

Presiding over the funeral will be the head coach, Jeff Capel. Under Capel, OU Basketball has reached lofty heights (first top-2 ranking since 1990) and depressing lows (first losing season since 1981). The 2011 season will, more than likely, be OU's second consecutive losing season...a depth that hasn't been achieved by the program since 1967.

Assisting with the casket will be the OU Athletic Department who, in light of last season's despicable closure, voted to not change the donation levels for lower level seats. It still requires a donation of $250 per seat to sit behind the goals and $500 per seat to sit along the sidelines even though most believe the 2011 OU Basketball team will finish either 11th or 12th in the final season of Big 12 Basketball.

Also on hand will be members of the front office of the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose team has feasted on former Sooner fans who once sat on the fence of OU Basketball fandom. With the success of the Thunder, more and more Sooner fans choose to spend their money in downtown Oklahoma City rather than inside the confines of the Lloyd Noble Center.

It has been an exhilarating ride. But all good things must come to an end. In lieu of flowers those who love OU Basketball ask that you sit back and think of what once was, and what will probably never be again.

Think of Alvan.
    Think of Wayman.
    Think of Ski.
    Think of Billy.
    Think of Kelvin.
    Think of Eduardo.
    Think of AJ and Crocker.
    Think of Blake.

You forgot Big Time Jones.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

3: Elite Eights
    3: Sweet Sixteens

Think of Alvan.
    Think of Wayman.
    Think of Ski.
    Think of Billy.
    Think of Kelvin.
    Think of Eduardo.
    Think of AJ and Crocker.
    Think of Blake.

then go root for someone else dipwad

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Have things gotten that bad?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

it's the most irrelevant OU team i've ever seen.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I loved the Skeeter Meter!! And I know he's not the greatest Sooner ever, but Hollis is by far my favorite Sooner bball player ever!!!

vCash

I'd punch my cousin in the face if NU would win just one NCAA game.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Now that 04 has given up....the rest of us can finally begin to enjoy this forum again.

I thought he'd never leave. I guess he finally fell off the bandwagon.

It's quite shocking IMO.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I will admit they should have beaten Chaminade, but that is the loss I wasn't expecting at this point in the schedule. This team is young but has a lot of heart and is showing signs of improvement. I just don't understand how someone supposedly such a supporter of OU basketball could completely dismiss them not even a third of the way into the season. If you are this fickle, maybe the team is better off without you on their side.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Since 04 attends every home game, no matter how the team is playing, I will take his fandom over people who just give the program lip service.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

04 and I have not always seen eye to eye ("My kingdom for a women's basketball forum," repeat 20 times) but I don't question his fandom. I wouldn't expect a true OU fan to cheer when their beloved program is losing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I don't see anyone cheering a loss. I also don't expect a true OU fan to completely dismiss the team because of a couple of tough years either. Being disappointed is one thing, but declaring the entire program dead is completely different. It wasn't even an off the cuff frustration comment in a game thread, but an entire eulogy that took time and effort. From this ending "And they ask that the last one to leave please turn out the lights" I'm left to assume 04 is no longer attending games.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

The overriding factor has become apparent: Capel is simply in over his head. From a corrupt assistant to players that did not respect him whatsoever we have come to this. If (if?!) attendance averages around 2,500 the rest of the year Joe C has no choice--pride goeth before the fall.

Now beat the hell outta Gardner-Webb!! We've still got ballgames to play--the ink on the final chapter isn't dry just yet
    BOOMER
    Let me see your war face!!