Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

Firefox geeky types - speak up

After a year of malicious hacking into my two computers, even with Norton on one and McAfee on the other, it has been suggested to me to give Firefox a try.

How about some advice for a fellow Sooner?

Will my anti-virus programs still run?

Is there a change in my email programs?

Is it really less suceptable to attacks?

IE just seems to be the target of most hackers due to it's overwhelming use I assume.

Anything that wont run on FF that I would be accustomed to using after a dozen years of IE use?
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Firefox geeky types - speak up

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA View Post
    After a year of malicious hacking into my two computers, even with Norton on one and McAfee on the other, it has been suggested to me to give Firefox a try.

IE just seems to be the target of most hackers due to it's overwhelming use I assume.

Anything that wont run on FF that I would be accustomed to using after a dozen years of IE use?
    Omelet Posse Egg Wrangler.

Sooner Benchwarmer hipsterdoofus's Avatar
    vCash

I am not a fellow Sooner, but I do run Firefox. Firefox doesn't affect the ability of your anti-virus programs to run. I have found that it is less susceptible, but for that matter, a current version of IE probably is as well. (I think IE 8 got really high marks on security).

I would recommend Firefox, but it doesn't matter what browser you have, you still need to be careful what you click on.
    <a href=http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i259/hipsterdo0fus/hipster.jpg target=_blank>http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...us/hipster.jpg</a>

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I'm sure my post won't be as knowledgable and helpful as The's but....
    I like Firefox much, and I have run the usual antivirus stuff on it without a hitch. I don't know if it is inherently less susceptible to nastyware, but I don't seem to have had any trouble with it. A couple of things for my job require IE, but other than that, I always go with FF and am glad I finally quit messng around and installed it (its so easy, too.)
    There.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner View Post
    I'm sure my post won't be as knowledgable and helpful as The's but....
    I like Firefox much, and I have run the usual antivirus stuff on it without a hitch. I don't know if it is inherently less susceptible to nastyware, but I don't seem to have had any trouble with it. A couple of things for my job require IE, but other than tha, I alwasy go with FF and am glad i finally quit messng aroun and installed it (its so easy, too.)
    There.
    I'm just amazed people still use IE. In 2010, no less.

vCash

Just don't go to the type of sites that "The" goes to and you will probably be okay...
    <a href=http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i259/hipsterdo0fus/hipster.jpg target=_blank>http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...us/hipster.jpg</a>

vCash

i use Google Chrome most of the time now

Firefox is so a few years ago

with Firefox if you want to avoid malware better, you can use things like Adblock and NoScript to block things you don't want

it's a little annoying setting up the sites you want to actually load flash and javascript, but it keeps out the ones you don't

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

netscape navigator 3.1
    Bazinga

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 reflector's Avatar
    vCash

The key is Firefox is the have the No Script and Ad Blocker add ons. A lot of viruses are in the ads on websites. Once you download the No Script add on with Firefox, you right click your mouse and forbid google ad services. Your computer runs a lot safer with Firefox because it is harder for your viruses to get onto your computer.
    <a href=http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/reflector3/sig_reflector.png target=_blank>http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w..._reflector.png</a>

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, get Firefox and a good adware/spyware program. That should fix you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

I would use Chrome except that I have an extension (gmail manager) that I can't find a duplicate for in chrome...Other than that I like a lot about chrome.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

Kerjillions of people in the corporate world use and are comfortable with IE because it's required by the web-based apps in their organization. We have several apps which require IE, but I use Firefox for surfing.

At the very least get the "AdBlock+" add-in for Firefox, OUinFLA. You don't really have to configure it, just install it. As mentioned, The NoScript is a good idea too.

Your virus scanners will work fine and you're not removing IE so if you *do* have any web apps which require it, you're still good.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

I'm shocked that people use IE. Firefox and Chrome are so much better.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Install the latest version of Firefox and then add a good anti-virus program. You won't have to spend a single dime get the best anti-virus available. Avast Anti-Virus protects not only against viruses, but also rootkits, spyware, rogue programs, malicious software and other threats.

I've successfully used it on multiple occasions to remove literally 100's of viruses that Norton, AVG, McAfee, Trend Micro and other big name/high priced anti-viruses let through and couldn't find and/or remove.

Some key features of Avast are:

* You can't beat the price, free!
    * Extremely thorough
    * Lightning fast scanning engine
    * Very light on system resources
    * Real-time protection including: file system, email, web, P2P, instant messenger, network, and behavior.
    * Able to scan for and remove viruses hidden in alternate data streams and archives.
    * Configurable scheduled scanning that allows you to easily schedule a one-time scan, daily scan, weekly scan, or monthly scan, along with other options such as first waking the PC up from sleeping and then shutting it down when the scan is completed.
    * Schedule-able boot-time scan which most other companies (the few that even have it) keep only in their payfor programs. Avast's boot-time scan isn't what most other anti-viruses refer to as a "boot time scan" where it just scans your system the next time you restart, Avast's is far superior than those. It's used when you know you have a hard-to-remove virus, and it will scan your system before Windows itself even loads, so there are no other processes running and nothing can block the removal process. (Great feature.)
    * Accurate heuristic engine that detects threats based on their behavior.
    * Can be set as your screensaver to do background scans while you're away from your PC.
    * Incremental automatic updates (so you're not downloading huge update files) that are released twice daily ensuring that you always have the most up-to-date protection available.
    * Works on Windows (Windows 2000 to Windows 7 - including 64-bit versions), Mac, and Linux. There's even a portable version for your flash drive.
    * Able to scan removable media such as CDs, DVDs, flash drives, and floppies.
    * Multi-threaded scanning optimizations that allow even for quicker scans on multi-processor systems.
    * Non-intrusive design by running everything automatically and silently in the background unless a threat is found.
    * PUP (potentially unwanted program) detection
    * Simple enough for users that want an anti-virus that "just works", but enough options to tweak for power users.
    * Did I mention 100% free?!

Those are just some of Avast's key features, it's hands-down the best anti-virus available even over payfor anti-viruses ... and the competition really isn't even close.
    My kids rock the flock!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Downside to Avast: it sounds like you're a pirate every time you mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Yarr.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    Downside to Avast: it sounds like you're a pirate every time you mention it.
    you know downside means "bad" right?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    you know downside means "bad" right?
    Avast, matey!

vCash

IE is the debil. Use Firefox or Chrome (I use Chrome because it's nutty fast).

As you've learned antivirus software is a placebo. Actually it's worse than a placebo because at least a placebo has no negative effect, where antivirus software chows down on half of your system resources.

To answer your questions:
    I'm a Husker, so I could just be trying to screw you.

Yes

Nope.

Yup.

That and it's just a poorly designed piece of ****.

Five years ago the answer would have been yes. These days, not really. There may the occasional site that doesn't work quite right. Usually if you look in the address bar and see a ".aspx" anywhere it means it a site written in Microsoft's piece of **** web language, ASP.NET, so you'll need to use IE.

If you aren't hugely resistant to change, consider a Mac. I'm not a fan of Apple as a company but their product is the best on the market. After years of PC use my company switched to Macs and I wish we'd have done it sooner.
    Last edited by Veritas; 12/8/2010 at 04:38 PM.
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    IE is the debil. Use Firefox or Chrome (I use Chrome because it's nutty fast).

As you've learned antivirus software is a placebo. Actually it's worse than a placebo because at least a placebo has no negative effect, where antivirus software chows down on half of your system resources.
    This. For typically web/pron browsing, get your *** behind a proxy. And don't install crap.