Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mavs Talk

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Mavs Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    are they gonna be tough enough to win in the playoffs this year? Is Chandler gonna be healthy? Not a Mavs fan but that would be my questions
    They certainly don't look like it right now. I think that last loss to Lakers really affected their mentality. They just don't have the horses to match up with the Lakers(I don't think anybody does really). After these last three games I'm not sure they are going to be mentally or physically tough enough to get past a Portland/Denver/NOLA team in the first round.

It drives me nuts to see another year wasted, but I just don't see a way this Mavs team gets any further than the 2nd round. At this point I'm really wishing they would have made a trade deadline push for Carmelo or Gerald Wallace. The Mavs have hit a wall right now. Dirk will show up for the Playoffs, it's just going to be a matter of if he gets any help. Terry has been terrible of late. Roddy B is just not ready to compete against elite teams yet. Kidd is inconsistent.

I'd like to think if the Mavs had a healthy Caron Butler, it would be a different story, but I'm just not sure. They sure could use some of his toughness right about now, and I know he is working his butt off to rehab that knee.

vCash

Well, after somehow almost having a chance to get back into the No. 2 seed, the Mavs wound up locking down the 3 seed against Portland. A lot of people picking the Trailblazers to win the series, and for good reason. Portland is young, athletic, has guys that can both Dirk, and they play really well at home. I think the biggest X-Factor was the mid season pick up of Gerald Wallace. He has meshed really well into Portland's system and I'm not sure there is anyone on the Mavs that can guard him.

The keys to the Mavs winning this series aside from Dirk needing to be the best player on the floor, are Kidd, Chandler, and the Mavs bench. Kidd was a no show in last years playoffs. He has to provide 10-12 points a night and consistently knock down the 3 ball. Chandler's defensive presence will be huge. He cannot afford to get in foul trouble. The Mavs bench will also be key.

Mavs in 7....I hope

vCash

I think Portland gets a split to open the series and wins in 6. People fall for their good regular seasons each year and I dont think Chandler brings enough added toughness to put them over the top. Gerald Wallace would have really helped in this area as would a Perk.

Dallas really needed to get NO in the first round. Portland is full of guys who are long and athletic. Chandler will stay in foul trouble trying to guard LA. We should see a lot of Wallace on Dirk. Is Jason Terry considered the number two guy on this team (with Butler out)? That guy cannot be counted on for an entire series.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    the big 12 is myspace in 2008

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerNate's Avatar
    vCash

_irk was getting all the calls tonight. Completely absurd. _allas must have paid the refs.
    twitter: @ palmbeachsooner

You really think we paid the refs? Dallas got the calls in Dallas and Portland will get the majority of the calls in Portland. This is not uncommon for this to happen in the playoffs. And is Dirk and great defensive player? of course not, but pronounce his name as Irk makes you look pretty ignorant

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

There were a lot of no calls on Dirk. Watching the game on ESPN has always been tough because there is little love for the Mavs and even the commentators had made several comments on contact that wasn't called.

I like the resiliency the Mavs showed in their win. They played terribly in the second half and still managed a tough victory against a scrappy portland team. Still sticking with Mavs in 6.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

I was certainly worried when Portland took the lead late in the 3rd quarter and on into the 4th quarter, but definitely gotta give the Mavs credit for gutting out the win. They played some some pretty good defense in those final minutes and really did a great job of getting knocking down their FT's

MVP of the game has to be Jason Kidd. What a night. Love that he was looking to shoot more and he'll need to keep that mindset going forward. I'm not saying that is a performance he can repeat every game, but it was huge as the Mavs didn't really get a lot of help outside of him and Dirk.

Love to see Stevenson back in the starting lineup...Think he did a good job on Mathews and Roy when he matched up against them. Would like to see him get some more shots to maybe see if he can't catch fire b/c I'm just not sure what we are going to get from Terry against a much bigger Portland team.

Glad to get the first one....definitely helps that there is such a long break b/w games 1 and 2. The extra time off is huge for a guy like Kidd.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    I was certainly worried when Portland took the lead late in the 3rd quarter and on into the 4th quarter, but definitely gotta give the Mavs credit for gutting out the win. They played some some pretty good defense in those final minutes and really did a great job of getting knocking down their FT's

MVP of the game has to be Jason Kidd. What a night. Love that he was looking to shoot more and he'll need to keep that mindset going forward. I'm not saying that is a performance he can repeat every game, but it was huge as the Mavs didn't really get a lot of help outside of him and Dirk.

Love to see Stevenson back in the starting lineup...Think he did a good job on Mathews and Roy when he matched up against them. Would like to see him get some more shots to maybe see if he can't catch fire b/c I'm just not sure what we are going to get from Terry against a much bigger Portland team.

Glad to get the first one....definitely helps that there is such a long break b/w games 1 and 2. The extra time off is huge for a guy like Kidd.
    Kidd was phenomenal and Dirk caught fire at the right time. I hate when we get complacent and settle for jump shots. We shot so terribly in the second half (except Kidd) but gutted it out. We will not always need Kidd to have that kind of night.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Home teams will certainly get more calls, but McMillan has a point about the whistles in the 4th. J Kidd hit six threes....he had a great game. Dirk is a great player and while I do not root for Dallas, I have always rooted for him. Dallas controlled much of that game which surprised me. I still like Portland to take game 2 (fair called game).

Dallas fans....is there anyone on that team besides Dirk that you can count on? To me J Terry is your second best option, but that guy cannot be counted on IMO. To me...this is where losing Butler hurts. He would be a viable second option for Portland to deal with.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    Dallas fans....is there anyone on that team besides Dirk that you can count on? To me J Terry is your second best option, but that guy cannot be counted on IMO. To me...this is where losing Butler hurts. He would be a viable second option for Portland to deal with.
    Exactly....When the Mavs got off to that great start by beating a lot of quality teams from both conferences and they were pretty much neck and neck with the Spurs fast start as well, it had a lot of analysts saying that the difference was having Butler on the floor. His toughness and versatility on both ends of the floor was just what the Mavs needed and would help take pressure of both Dirk and Terry. Ever since Caron's injury it has been Dirk and a rotation of players to step up on a given night whether that is Terry, Kidd, Barea, Marion, or Chandler.

Terry is about the only guy besides Dirk that has the ability to explode for 30 points on any given night, he has just been in such a slump the last 2 months of the season that he is hard to count on right now. But I guess you'd have to say he is the Mavs No. 2 option. If he isn't hitting his jump shots, then he is pretty much an ineffective player as he doesn't really attack the basket and he is not a great defender.

vCash

Another gutsy win by the Mavs. Second half defensive was great and while Aldrige got off to a great start, you didn't hear his name called hardly at all in the second half.

Dirk with another big 4th quarter. Kidd keeps his shooting touch alive. Peja had a big night too. On to Portland, which is always a tough place to play. Hoping for a split up there so they can come back and finish them off in 5. That will not be an easy task though.

Great win!

vCash

I HEART THE 2006 FINALS

vCash

I love the way our role players are stepping up. Still waiting on Marion to get going but happy with the production elsewhere. Defense is what is really impressing me and I can only hope that Peja keeps lighting it up. He is doing exactly what we expected him to do when we acquired him.

The only downside to Peja is that if he is not on, we have to take him off the court because he is a liability on the defensive side of the court. HE CANNOT GUARD WALLACE! Who do you root for again SoonerNate?
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

I think Peja did a pretty commendable job defensively in game 2, best he has played since joining the Mavs anyway. No he's not the most athletic, but he is still pretty quick and is 6'10" as well. He rebounded pretty well too. Perfect shooting form too....even better than Dirks.

Hoping he and Kidd can keep it rolling. Would be nice to see Terry explode for about 20 points tonight too. He's long overdue for a big game. Mavs just need to keep doing what they have been defensively and limit there turnovers. As long as the Portland does run out to a huge lead early and the Mavs have to play catchup tonight, I think the Mavs will win tonight.

vCash

I have a bad feeling that we will be called very closely tonight. Although, we did survive crawford Tuesday night. I feel it may take overtime to win or we rely on terry to carry us in the 4th.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Ill admit I was wrong as I thought Portland would get one in Dallas. Dallas defended well and your old vets came through. Resting Kidd at the end of the season looks like a great move at this point.

vCash

I hope they keep matching up Batum against Dirk....Dirk is just a different player when they put Batum on him. He is much more aggresnif when he knows he has Batum on him.

I'm worried Kidd will start to fatigue earlier on with just the one day off between. Hoping Carlisle can manage his minutes well tonight and game 4, and try and sneak in each rest time by subbing him out just before you know a TV timeout is coming.

It'll be tough to win this first game tonight, but if they can somehow get to 3-0 and guarantee a split out of the trip I'd say this series is as good as over.

vCash

Tough loss in a tough place to get a win in the first place. Mavs did what they had to and kept themselves in it the whole game, but just came up short in crunch time.

Credit to Portland....Roy had a huge game for them and they got Chandler in foul trouble early and often. Haywood gave a good effort, but limiting Chandler the whole game really hurt.

Hope Terry can keep his shooting touch for Saturday. Dirk settled for a few too many jump shots in this game, hopefully he attacks a bit more in game 4. Chandler has to stay on the floor too.

vCash

Why is this in the OKC Thunder Talk forum? Can Miami fans read?
    This is a Dallas thread

vCash

Because not everyone is from Oklahoma, and not everyone is a thunder fan. I call it equal opportunity guys.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08