Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mavs Talk

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Mavs Talk

Buzz around the league is Mavs are looking to add Peja after the raptors finalize the buyout of his contract and Peja clears waivers. Apparently there has an agreement in principal to sign with the Mavs. Peja hasn't played much this season, citing a "sore left knee." Something tells me it won't be so sore any more and he'll be able to contribute sooner rather than later. He'll definitely be in the rotation at SF between him, Marion, and Pavlovic if they keep him.

vCash

vCash

Mavs have seemed to have stopped regained some of their previous form as of late. The have won 6 straight and 7 of their last 8, that includes wins over the Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, Hawks, and Knicks. Dirk appears to be almost back to form after the knee injury, which is huge.

The Mavs of late have been getting a nice offensive boost from Tyson Chandler. He has been connecting on a lot of alley-oops of late and he has been really solid at the FT line. JJ Barea has seem to have refound his scoring touch and is just about the only Maverick that can dribble drive to the rim.

Cuban hasn't ruled out the possibility of the rent-a-carmelo strategy if they think it will need it. If it's just mostly taking on his salary, I would do definitely do it, but if the Nuggets are wanting a bunch of picks I say forget it. Just make due with what you have or look to add depth elsewhere.

Dirk just passed 22,000 points for his career, good for 24th alltime. Assuming he plays out the rest of his current contract to the 13/14 season, there is a real possibility he hangs em up as a top 10 all time scorer in the 27-28,000 point range. I don't think he gets to the 30,000 milestone.

Good for him but it is interesting that Chandler is playing so well TWO YEARS AFTER the Thunder team doctor nixed a trade for him because of an injury.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerRoy View Post
    Good for him but it is interesting that Chandler is playing so well TWO YEARS AFTER the Thunder team doctor nixed a trade for him because of an injury.
    That was the rap on him when we got him from the Bobcats in exchange for dumping Dampier. He was a guy that had been hurt for pretty much the past 2 years. Props to the Mavs personnel guys for evaluting that he is healthy. It also probably helps that this is a contract year for Chandler as well. That always seems to get guys to up there numbers a bit above normal.

Glad he is on the team and really hope the Mavs can re-sign him in the offseason.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerRoy View Post
    the same doc that did the surgery on him when he was here

I'm thinkin there was more to the story but it worked out nicely for all parties IMO
    Let me see your war face!!

vCash

Mavs on a 10 game win streak with a tough matchup against Denver in the 2nd night of a back to back. Hasn't necessarily been the prettiest wins, but wins nonetheless and a good number of them over quality teams.

Getting lots of help off the bench lately. Hope the Peja pickup can prove useful. I'm sure he'll have his nights where he is knocking them down like he used to do against the Mavs in his Sacramento days, if he can avg 10 pts and help stretch the defense while he is out there I'll be fine with that.

Getting word the Roddy B is starting to go through full practices again and could join the team in a 7-10 days.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    Mavs on a 10 game win streak with a tough matchup against Denver in the 2nd night of a back to back. Hasn't necessarily been the prettiest wins, but wins nonetheless and a good number of them over quality teams.

Getting lots of help off the bench lately. Hope the Peja pickup can prove useful. I'm sure he'll have his nights where he is knocking them down like he used to do against the Mavs in his Sacramento days, if he can avg 10 pts and help stretch the defense while he is out there I'll be fine with that.

Getting word the Roddy B is starting to go through full practices again and could join the team in a 7-10 days.
    I wonder if the Mavs have any legit chance of making a deal to get Melo or even Stephen Jackson?
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

But who do you give up to get him, and what about the cap room?

vCash

Cap room has never been an issue for Cuban. He'll spend the money if he feels it makes the team better. I just think the Mavs would have to give up too much to get Melo and in return I'm just not sure how much better he would make the Mavs.

At this point, with the trade deadline only a couple weeks away, I'm not really sure there is any player out there that makes them good enough to beat the Lakers or the Spurs right now in a best of seven, Melo included. There are even rumors of getting Nash back from the Suns. How crazy would that be?

The Mavs are playing well right now for the most part, but not up to the level they were at earlier in the season. They have been getting nice play from their current bench players. Barea and Terry have been especially good lately.

With Roddy B's return looming and the possibility of Butler being able to make it back around the time the playoffs start, I'd hold firm with what they have and move on with the season.

Stephen Jackson seems like a real hit or miss player at this point too.

vCash

Roddy B apparently makes his long awaited return from injury Wednesday night. Don't think he'll get a lot of minutes to start off, but could see a few extra than expected if JJ can't go.(flu)

At best this could have the impact of a big mid-season acquisition. At worst, he never finds his rhythm and only gets mop up duty. There is one unique thing he can bring that no other current Mav has and that is speed. Something the Mavs haven't had since they sent Devin Harris packing to NJ for Kidd.

vCash

I wonder if the Mavs could be that third team involved in the Carmelo trade talks? Troy Murphy is not having the best season and battling injuries but that first round pick could come in handy when trying to make a trade for Stephen Jackson.

I know that Detroit is the said third team but with Cuban running the show, we are never out of the equation.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

I don't know about that. Lakers cannot beat anyone with a winning record right now and they are again just one big injury from being game over. Spurs are old, yeah they are playing hot but it's getting hot at the wrong time. Last team to do that good to start the season....the MAVS! Yeah we all remember what happened the first round of the playoffs that year and their big 3 are old *U*KERS!

Jackson gives us a tenacious player who can assure 15+ points a night, like Caron. The thing about Caron is, how is he going to come back off of a knee injury? It's one thing if he came in 30 games into the start of the season, it's another to tap him back in in the playoffs. He would get limited mins until he has shaken the rust off.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

So with the trade i'm assuming this will be a Deron-less jazz team tonight. So long as we shut down Millsap, I think the Mavs fair pretty well tonight. GO MAVS!
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

The most wild rumor I heard was that the Mavs were trying to re-acquire Devin Harris from the Nets, and then immediately repackage him in a deal to get Deron Williams for the Jazz. I would have definitely approved of that move, even if it meant giving up picks, some expiring contracts, and Roddy B/Dominique Jones.

Never the less, I hope the Mavs don't make a major move today before the deadline. The team chemistry is great right now. The acquisition of Peja and return of Roddy B has been the equivalent of a trade. The Mavs are without question the deepest team in the league right now. Word is the Caron's rehab is ahead of schedule he may very well make it back for the playoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    The most wild rumor I heard was that the Mavs were trying to re-acquire Devin Harris from the Nets, and then immediately repackage him in a deal to get Deron Williams for the Jazz. I would have definitely approved of that move, even if it meant giving up picks, some expiring contracts, and Roddy B/Dominique Jones.

Never the less, I hope the Mavs don't make a major move today before the deadline. The team chemistry is great right now. The acquisition of Peja and return of Roddy B has been the equivalent of a trade. The Mavs are without question the deepest team in the league right now. Word is the Caron's rehab is ahead of schedule he may very well make it back for the playoffs.
    I agree with the Roddy B and Peja comment. Roddy injects a shot of adrenaline and Peja gives us a shooting threat at all parts of the court. I think Caron is fairing better with rehab because he has suffered this injury before. He knows exactly what to do or what he can do better.

The spurettes are old and streaking at the wrong time. They will be a one and done in the playoffs. Mavs are set up to win the west. Just beat okc or lakers and then play bulls or celtics in east. Go Mavs! (This time stern can't keep cuban from getting the trophy. Cuban has been on good behavior)
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Another great win by the Mavs tonight. I'm glad Cuban kept the team we have because they are looking really good. Dirk was huge tonight!!! With the way the upcoming schedule looks like, no reason Mavs can't put together a third double digit win streak. Go Mavs!
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

And it's not out of the question that this team could win 60 games. And to think at one point this team lost 10 out of 13 games. If Dirk and Caron manage to stay healthy, are record looks a lot like the spurs

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by texas-sooner View Post
    And it's not out of the question that this team could win 60 games. And to think at one point this team lost 10 out of 13 games. If Dirk and Caron manage to stay healthy, are record looks a lot like the spurs
    All of that is true and does sound good, but as Mavs fans, we all know that regular season record means nothing if you are ousted early in the playoffs. I say we reduce Dirk's mins , let Mahimi get more, and be energized come playoffs.

The spurs will do exactly what the Mavs did when they set the franchise record for. Regular season wins and then blown away first round by golden state. The spurs are old and streaking at the wrong time.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

After a nice first couple games, Roddy B has been a non-factor in last few games. Something just not be sitting right with Carlisle, b/c he has been yanking him pretty early even though he has started. Hopefully it's just a case of him getting more games under his belt during the stretch run.

I would say give Stevenson more of the off guard minutes, but it seems like he has hit a wall too and isn't knocking down the 3 as much as he was at the beginning of the year.

Thankfully the rest of the bench has been solid for them: Terry, Marion, Barea, Mahinmi and even Haywood to some extent. That has really what has helped this team win consistently.