Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Mavs Talk

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Mavs Talk

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    Think the Mavs did a pretty good job...They are still trying to keep their chance at another championship open, so they don't need projects right now, they need guys that have NBA experience and can fill a role for them. Fernandez is a nice add I think. One, you add some youth to the oldest team in the league. Two, he costs you virtually nothing. Three, he'll help fill the vacancies when the Mavs more than likely do not bring back Peja and Stevenson.

It'll all depend on who the Mavs bring back on just exactly how big of a role Fernandez will play. Of their major FA's, the Mavs will absolutely resign Chandler and then I think you either have to choose between Caron or JJ, but the odds of bringing both of them back are small. Both guys would have to give the Mavs a considerable discount if they really want to stay here.
    I completely agree with everything you just said. To add to Fernandez, we are only committed to him for one year and then have the option to pick up his option or send him on his way. It really is a low risk-high reward deal.

It will be really interesting to see who we resign out of Caron and JJ. I personally feel Caron would be the top priority and JJ will end up in NY. That is my guess.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Think the Mavs did a pretty good job...They are still trying to keep their chance at another championship open, so they don't need projects right now, they need guys that have NBA experience and can fill a role for them. Fernandez is a nice add I think. One, you add some youth to the oldest team in the league. Two, he costs you virtually nothing. Three, he'll help fill the vacancies when the Mavs more than likely do not bring back Peja and Stevenson.

It'll all depend on who the Mavs bring back on just exactly how big of a role Fernandez will play. Of their major FA's, the Mavs will absolutely resign Chandler and then I think you either have to choose between Caron or JJ, but the odds of bringing both of them back are small. Both guys would have to give the Mavs a considerable discount if they really want to stay here.
    They were talking on the radio and i think they have enough money to let Peja and Stevenson go, resign Chandler JJ and Butler and add 1 more guy around $3M
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf/Nek7 View Post
    I completely agree with everything you just said. To add to Fernandez, we are only committed to him for one year and then have the option to pick up his option or send him on his way. It really is a low risk-high reward deal.

It will be really interesting to see who we resign out of Caron and JJ. I personally feel Caron would be the top priority and JJ will end up in NY. That is my guess.
    JJ and Caron have both gone on record as saying Dallas is where they want to be, but this may be the only chance JJ has to cash in big time. Depending on how restrictive a cap they put in place, I'm not sure the Mavs will be able to match the highest bidder for JJ. At that point it'll really be up to him if he wants to take less money to stay in Dallas. Would love it if he stayed, but can't fault him for wanting a bigger paycheck too.

Caron is certainly more versatile b/w the two guys, but he is coming off a major injury and he isn't exactly a spring chicken. I don't think anyone is going to throw ridiculous money at him, but you could see a scenario where a team is willing to offer a longer deal. If he does comeback and produces like he was at the beginning of last year, then the Mavs make out great. Think the Mavs should look at something like a 2 year deal for $13-14MM with a 3rd year option to make the total value something in the neighborhood of $22MM.

Think something like that would be fair to both parties.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

JJ and Caron have both gone on record as saying Dallas is where they want to be, but this may be the only chance JJ has to cash in big time. Depending on how restrictive a cap they put in place, I'm not sure the Mavs will be able to match the highest bidder for JJ. At that point it'll really be up to him if he wants to take less money to stay in Dallas. Would love it if he stayed, but can't fault him for wanting a bigger paycheck too.

Caron is certainly more versatile b/w the two guys, but he is coming off a major injury and he isn't exactly a spring chicken. I don't think anyone is going to throw ridiculous money at him, but you could see a scenario where a team is willing to offer a longer deal. If he does comeback and produces like he was at the beginning of last year, then the Mavs make out great. Think the Mavs should look at something like a 2 year deal for $13-14MM with a 3rd year option to make the total value something in the neighborhood of $22MM.

Think something like that would be fair to both parties.
    I could see that. With the trade for Fernandez, the only moves left to make are resigning guys. I feel JJ could land a deal worth 4-5 mill a year and we will not pay that. Caron overcame the same injury a few years ago so i believe he will be back. I wonder what the future holds for DoJo and Roddy B?
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

I say you keep DoJo and Roddy B and hope they can stay healthy and continue to develop thoughout next season...Unfortunately with a lockout probable I do not think those guys will have the benefit of summer league play that they normally would...They really don't cost you anything, about $2.3 million combined between the two of them, and you can dump both of them after next year if they just really don't pan out.

Mavs have to start developing some youthful talent, so you hope that between those two guys and Brewer, one of them can step up and really contribute next year.

Getting Rudy pretty much ensures that we don't resign stevenson.

I think JJ will stay. He seems to really want to. Then again, he could run for the money if it's good enough (and I wouldn't blame him).

Rudy was a good pick up, he has the best chance of making an impact now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan31 View Post
    Getting Rudy pretty much ensures that we don't resign stevenson.

I think JJ will stay. He seems to really want to. Then again, he could run for the money if it's good enough (and I wouldn't blame him).

Rudy was a good pick up, he has the best chance of making an impact now.
    Would like to keep Stevenson, but it would have to be a significant pay cut. He made 4.15MM last season. Mavs can't pay anywhere near that for him going forward, and I don't think he'll sign on for Vet Minimum. I could be wrong though.

You're right though, Rudy should be able to come in and contribute right away.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I love stevenson. He is one tough guy who will not back down, at all. I heard a lot of talk when more people started to watch the mavs during their playoff run. They didn't understand what he brought to the table, just seeing that he missed some 3's.

Carlisle got the most out of him, and I think Stevenson will benefit from that in free agency. I can't see him getting just a vet min deal. I can't see us signing him for much more than that either, unfortunately.

Same goes for Peja, I can't see him sticking around if he gets offered much more than the vet minimum.

vCash

Really hard to get a read on exactly what Cuban/Donnie's plans are for the Mavs this year. They seem content to let Butler, JJ, and worst of all Chandler leave town. I can't see Cuban wanting to waste Dirk's few remaining prime years and just be content with the one championship.

Seems like they did not want to offer any free agent more than a 1 year deal. I hope they have some sort of ace up their sleeve still. There have been talks about pushing to get Deron Williams or Dwight Howard, but I just don't know if that is in the cards.

They gotta think they will get Howard or else they wouldn't let Chandler go so easily.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash
    Supposedly singing Vince Carter today.

Also, The Mavs are one of the three teams the Magic said they would deal with, but Mavs need a third team to make it work.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Mavs using the trade exception from the Chandler deal to nab Odom from the Lakers. Looks like Lakers will try and use that in some package to make a push for Howard.

Pretty solid addition for the Mavs IMO. He can definitely contribute and will see time at the 3 and 4 spots. Mavs also aren't on the hook for a bunch of money and does help their flexibility next summer.

Hoping Vince Carter can find a resurgence in being reunited with Kidd.

Mavs still need to find either a backup PG or C. I'd place more emphasis on a backup C though. Between Kidd, Terry, Roddy B, and maybe even Fernandez when he gets here, I think PG can be covered.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerNate's Avatar
    vCash

twitter: @ palmbeachsooner

vCash

Welp...about 20 games left in the regular season, and the Mavs haven't looked particularly stellar in their attempt to defend their title this season. Tough to do when the roster is partially blown up, even tougher to do in a compressed season with a bunch of old guys on your team.

After the terrible start, the Mavs rallied a bit and showed flashes of their championship selves. They were playing pretty well actually up until the all star break, then they got bit by the injury bug and went into just a general funk, losing to some really bad teams along the way. Their defense also went to hell during this stretch, after starting off as one of the better teams in the league.

Definitely thinking the Mavs are missing Barea right about now and the different dimension he brought to the offense. If Dirk isn't going, and the rest of the guys aren't making their shots, they really don't have that guy that can dribble-drive and break down a defense. The loss of Delonte West has also been pretty significant it appears.

Mavs have managed to win their past 3 games, but they haven't been impressive wins with the exception of San Antonio. They are in 6th place right now. Hoping they can get healthy and try and get back up to a 4th seed to at least have 1st round home court advantage. Dirk seems to be on a bit of a roll of late, which certainly helps, and Roddy B has showed flashes of remarkable play. It'll be a real testament to this team's toughness if they can make it back to the top of the mountain, I'm just not sure they have all the pieces they need to defend unfortunately.