Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mavs Talk

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Mavs Talk

I know this is the Thunder Board, but for those Mavs fans out there, I hope you've been watching them of late.

They are arguably the hottest team in the league right now having won 10 straight and have been playing really good basketball. Dirk has been Dirk, but the big difference this season has to be Tyson Chandler. He brings energy and a tough physical presence to make up for what Dirk can't do on the defensive end. He has also been a great team mate. You always see him encouraging his teammates on the floor when he is on the bench. He and Haywood have a goal to combine for 20/20 each night, which I think is great.

Carlisle's decision to start DeShawn Stevenson has also worked out well I think. No. 1 it moves Caron Butler to a more natural SF position. No. 2 he is a pretty solid defender that you can stick on a teams best player, and for the most part he'll do a respectable job or at least get under the guys skin.

Jet Terry and Shawn Marion off the bench have been pretty solid this year. Jet has to be the early favorite for 6th man of the year and has been instant offense off the bench this year. Marion is still a good defender and will get you some hustle points every night.

I am a bit worried that Kidd's legs are starting to go, but I think Carlisle is making a real effort to limit his minutes when he can. JJ has been a serviceable backup and still has the ability to drive the ball. He's struggled a bit offensively of late.

All this and the Mavs have been doing it without the exciting Roddy B. Can't wait for him to get back.

vCash

Re: Mavs Talk

Mavs with another big win on the road and put a halt to Miami's 12 game win streak. While the Mavs allowed the Heat to come back after racing out to an early lead, they stayed tough and hit clutch shots and free throws in the closing minutes to win.

Have the 2nd night of a back to back tonight against the new look Magic. I'm hoping that since it is a bunch of new guys playing together that it will work in the Mavs favor and get a bunch of turnovers on the defensive end.

After that, the Mavs have a short break for Xmas but get right back at it with games at OKC and the Spurs at home before the end of the year.

vCash

Buzz going around today about the Mavs possibly being interested in renting Carmelo for the rest of the season. Cuban is denying though.

Think you'd prob. have to give up Butler, Stevenson, Beaubois and prob. a pick to get it done. Not worth it to me. Chemistry is fine right now and team is playing great.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

I dont really like the idea of having Melo right now given team chemistry and the fact that the desired location Melo wants to be is NY. Regardless, I love how the Mavs are playing. I just hope they have enough in the tank come postseason.

The Mavs have to have the most depth at the forwards. Dirk, Marion, Chandler, Haywood, Mahimi, Ajinca, and yes Cardinal! Once Roddy B gets back its going to be awesome. Hell, it already is. Go Mavs!
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

Quick thoughts. Kidd's legs have been going for a few years. For the past two or three now, he's been getting by, defensively, SOLELY on reputation. In the playoffs, for the Mavs to do anything of note, they're going to have to find a way to hide Kidd defensively, and, in the West, that means hiding him from the likes of Westbrook, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, et al... athletic guards that he simply can't keep up with anymore.

Stevenson's been a decent player with no minutes for a few years now. He gives them the versatility to move Butler to his natural position, as already mentioned, but he's also a solid three-point shooter, and a capable, if not great, defender.

Also, as for the bench, Terry's NOT a starting two, but he's a good off-the-bench combo guard. Marion hasn't been a starting forward for a few years now, but, being paid like one, he's been cast in the role. Nice to see him coming off of the bench where he can still be somewhat effective... with his f*cked-up lookin' shot.

If they "fix" the Kidd situation defensively, and if Haywood and Chandler can give this team ANYTHING offensively, they'll be able to make some noise. I think Roddy B. coming back will help with the Kidd situation. Only time will tell with their posts.

Good thread. Good analysis.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Unfortunately was flying back into Dallas last night so I did not get to see the game, but a big, big win over OKC with Dirk going down in the 1st half. Kidd stepped up...Marion had a nice night. Butler continues to roll and Jet Terry had another big time 4th Quarter performance and helped sew up the win.

Hopefully Dirk will be able to lace them up for the big matchup with the Spurs on Thursday night.

vCash

Mavs looked pretty lost last night against Toronto. I sure hope Dirk is back to play the spurettes. Either that or they work hard on getting a better game plan going without him.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Tough loss for the Mavs last night, but not really fair to gauge a team w/o it's 1st scoring option. The Mavs definitely looked very out of sorts at times without Dirk last night. Kidd tried to force a lot of stuff last night and took some really bad shots. Jet Terry was unfortunately a complete no-show last night. Props to Caron for stepping up in Dirks absence. Wish he would try and put the ball on the floor and drive it a bit more though.

Spurs played a nice game though. They went on that crazy run in the 2nd quarter where they hit like 10 or 11 straight shots. They got a bit lazy and settled for too many perimeter shots in the 3rd Quarter, and the Mavs were able to claw their way back but they answered every run by the Mavs with a run of their own.

I'd like to think that if Dirk were in there it would have been a different result, but the Spurs looked pretty legit and just have so many weapons. You can see why they have the best record in the league right now.

I think Dirk is probably out a couple more games. No real reason to risk it against the likes of the Bucks and Cavs, but hopefully he'll be back for Portland at home. It definitely hurts your team when both of your front court guys do not consistently produce offensively where it is Chandler/Haywood and Cardinal/Marion. Definitely wishing the Tim Thomas thing would have worked out right about now.

vCash

I grew up a mavericks fan and then switched my alliance to the Thunder. Just when they get good.

vCash

Well Sh*t!!!

The injury bug has not only bitten the Mavs in the last week, it's a full on allergic reaction to the bite. Butler goes down in terrible pain against Milwaukee and it is sounding like he will be out for a very long time, if not the rest of the year.

They are now down their first and second scoring option and it will be tough going for the Mavs if they can't get someone else to fill the scoring void left by Butler. Do the Mavs revisit the Carmelo Anthony rent a player strategy?

The Mavs called up rookie SG Dominique Jones from their D-League team. He has been playing well there and also had a good showing with the Summer League team. He lacks ideal size for a SF though, which might mean moving Marion to SF. I'm a bit hesitant about this b/c Marion has actually been more effective when he's getting minutes at PF.

DeShawn Stevenson has had a nice year, but again not really sure he has the size to play the 3. Mavs might look to go to their 3 guard lineup of Kidd, Terry, and Barea, which I absolutely don't like b/c it means having 3 defensive liabilities on the floor at once.

2 Months of really good basketball has been completely undone in about 4 days with the injuries they have sustained. Cubes, Donnie and Carlisle have some major decisions to make in the next few weeks or so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

Injuries suck but dirk's was the freakiest I have ever seen on a basketball court--couldn't do it again if he tried.

Everyone is just lining up for their *** whipping by San Antonio at this point

oh and you're goin down Thursday night!!!!
    Let me see your war face!!

vCash

I don't give the Mavs much chance against anyone right now if they don't get healthy in a hurry. Initial word out is the Mavs are not going to rush to the trade market just yet, but that doesn't mean the media down here isn't spinning stories and possible trade scenarios.

Everything from Carmelo to Gerald Wallace to Tayshaun Prince. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Prince though....He's in the last year of his deal, so you send Caron's expring and Dominique Jones and a 1st Rd pick and you could land Prince.

vCash

Welp it's official. Butler is done for the season. Had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. Heard they can apply for some sort of injured player exception for about half of Caron's salary, so about $5MM. That's probably only if they don't trade him though.

Regardless, I think the Mavs really need to make a move to shore up their SF position. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Marion getting 30 or so minutes at SF every night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    Welp it's official. Butler is done for the season. Had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. Heard they can apply for some sort of injured player exception for about half of Caron's salary, so about $5MM. That's probably only if they don't trade him though.

Regardless, I think the Mavs really need to make a move to shore up their SF position. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Marion getting 30 or so minutes at SF every night.
    Deshawn Stevenson, being 6'5, is more than likely the beneficiary of that spot left vacant by Caron. This may provoke Cuban to pursue Melo even harder, especially since he just shot down yet another generous offer from Denver.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf/Nek7 View Post
    Deshawn Stevenson, being 6'5, is more than likely the beneficiary of that spot left vacant by Caron. This may provoke Cuban to pursue Melo even harder, especially since he just shot down yet another generous offer from Denver.
    Stevenson will definitely be given more minutes at SF. Ideally it would be better if he were a little bit taller. He is listed at 6'5" but I'm not sure he's really that tall. He also doesn't rebound particularly well either, so that is also why i'm a bit hesitant for him to receive major minutes at SF. Plus he pretty much just camps out on the perimeter on offense and is only really effective if he is hitting the 3 ball on that particular night. He did last night, which was huge in a win over Portland.

I still really like the idea of going after Tayshaun Prince. Last year of contract and I don't think you'd have to give up a whole lot to get him and he does have pretty solid playoff experience and is familiar with Carlisle as well.

Another very unlikely option I heard that I think would be a good fit is Battier in Houston. I just don't think the Rockets would be willing to deal him within the division. He does a little bit of everything though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

Glad the mavs didn't decide to foul in the end!

And KD, WTF you got snookered at the end
    Let me see your war face!!

vCash

Tough loss. Mavs played a pretty solid 1st half, but the Thunder clamped down on defense in the 2nd half and cut the Mavs shooting percentage by about half. The Mavs just looked completely out of sorts in a half court set and it was very frustrating to watch. They were sloppy with turnovers and rebounded poorly in the later runs by the Thunder. As a credit to the Thunder the Mavs simple had trouble trying to find an open shot against the length and athleticism the Thunder bring.

Not a lot of positives for the Mavs in this game. Marion had a great first half scoring-wise. Chandler battled down low all night, but he the Mavs were just out matched at too many other positions.

The Mavs just don't have anyone right now that can replace the 40 points a night that Dirk and Caron brought on a nightly basis and it is killing them. What also hurts is that those are the 2 guys that can create their own shots.

The Mavs are in for more of the same if Dirk can't get back and soon. I'm really starting to get worried. This is the longest absence due to injury of Dirk's career. It has really been his ankles that have given him problems in the past, so this knee thing is new. We are all seeing just how valuable he is to this team now.

vCash

The only positive thing that I am taking from this is that Dirk should be well rested come playoff time. Something, he is not accustomed to having.

I'm trying not to panic just yet because we are playing tough teams w/o our MVP candidate and staying in each game we have played. OKC -4, SA -6. For the exception of the Milwaukee game, we really have not been blown away. Maybe Cuban and Nelson are holding Dirk out until Roddy B is ready to come back to add a shot of high energy to the Mavs
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

vCash

Welp, Mavs are flat out terrible right now. They are just pathetic right now on offense without anybody that can consistently create their own offense. So frustrating to watch right now after the awesome start to the season. They are playing like a borderline lottery team right now. They can hang with another team for the first couple quarters, but then without fail the opponent will go on a run and open the lead to about 9-10 points and they just won't be able to close that gap.

I guess the only positive right now is that the Mavs are still 3rd or 4th in the West. I'm also worried that when Dirk does come back, you are still missing Caron Butler as your 2nd option. I know the Mavs are hesitant to pull the trigger but a move has to be made and I think that would involve Butler's expiring contract, as much as Donnie and Cuban would love to keep him here.

vCash

Big win last night for the Mavs against the Lakers. They definitely need that to get some confidence back. Granted the Lakers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, the Mavs fought back after trailing most of the 1st half.

Kidd and Terry had nice shooting nights and the Mavs got a ton of bench points. Chandler stepped up and had a big 2nd half despite puking in the locker room during the first half with the flu.

Still not sure now well this team will ultimately function without Butler, but if Dirk is healthy the rest of the way, they should at least get into the playoffs. They have to bring in help though if they want to have a chance to compete for the title though. w/o Butler the rest of the way, it'll be another 1st or 2nd round exit.