Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Wikileaks?

Wtf?

Should we be happy the light is being shone on the truth or should we be pissed our business is being shared with the World?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Wikileaks?

Some things needed to be aired out, and some didn't. The latest ones had some dirty deals which involved other governments.

It's kind of ironical to see the govt get bent out of shape about this because when the govt passed the Patriot Act said: if you have nothing to hide then you should not worry.

So now that the tables are turned, it seems privacy is important and one should be concerned about privacy...hmmm

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

I am generally in favor of an open door policy. In fact, one of the greatest tragedies in this country is the current failure of the press. The idea was to have an non-partisan watchdog to make sure that everything was on the up and up. That sadly ended with the 24 hour news cycle and a move towards commercial news. It has become mostly sensationalism.

However, leaking classified information is a bird of a different feather and not a matter of free press, IMO. I should disclose that I am not terribly familiar with wikileaks, but I have read some of the recent news. With that said, it scares me that military and diplomatic secrets could be divulged because somebody has an ax to grind.

Those kind of implications are much further reaching.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

a compartmentalized or classified discussion/analysis is protected for certain reasons. I can't understand why anyone would find joy in the fact that a untrustworthy individual duplicated this data and then leaked it to a foreign entity.

"truth".......yeah ok, i take a **** every day. By not letting you watch am I denying you the "truth"?

You don't have a right to view secret data unless you have the clearance and it is for official use.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MR2-Sooner86's Avatar
    vCash

It sucks but you can always say, "No I didn't."

Saudi King wants us to bomb Iran and he denies it. Was it in a document or video? If it's audio you can always claim it's a fake but video is a little harder to do. As for documents, anybody can take a document, put it into photoshop, and in minutes have something completely different to fit their agenda.

Did the Saudi King and other things happen? Probably but the evidence isn't 100%.
    Loved By The People
    "you are a disgusting pig and should be punished for such vile language. Would you like your mom to see that you wrote that? YOU=Disgusting pig."
    "you lack any semblance of taste and suggest substandard upbringing and education"
    "Guess what? You're a ****ing dildo!"
    "You're an asshat!"
    "racist pig by any chance?"

vCash

It's good for the government of a free-society to have its dirty laundry aired out from time to time. Regardless of how "damaging" they claim this is, I think it's refreshing.

vCash

ts dirty laundry aired
    I wouldn't consider analysis of RPG vulnerable areas on MRAPs as dirty laundry.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner5030 View Post
    I wouldn't consider analysis of RPG vulnerable areas on MRAPs as dirty laundry.
    You are correct. Some of the leaked stuff should have not been leaked, because they may put our troops in danger, in the current wars or future.

Other stuff that were leaked, I have no problem with.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

as long as it doesnt affect operations being conducted by our armed forces, the public has the right to know how its government spends its time and money.
    There's few things in the world that can't be fixed by the liberal application of duct tape.

Those who say winning isn't everything are the people you want to play against.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I love wikileaks. That video of those helicopter pilots acting like they were playing Call of Duty while murdering a journalist was quite an experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideTrombone
    Our fans don't walk around dressed up like Bud Wilkinson.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GKeeper316 View Post
    as long as it doesnt affect operations being conducted by our armed forces, the public has the right to know how its government spends its time and money.
    Agreed.

Foreign governments already know these sorts of things are said between diplomats and their respective governments. The specifics may not be known, but I doubt anyone is truly shocked by any of this.

What it does do, however, is give our own citizenry an insight into how the government operates overseas and in its relationships with other nations. I truly think our government is more embarrassed by what its own citizens will find out about how it operates than they are about what other governments will think.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The's Avatar
    vCash

Omelet Posse Egg Wrangler.

vCash

The public does not have the right to know everything.

MRAP hull specifications?
    How to make an EFP using a $400 metal lathe?
    How to make urea or ammonium based home made explosives?

You like the current leaks because it suits your ideological objectives but that doesn't negate the need for a classified network that is not intended for public view.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

I wouldn't be sad if Wikileaks all of a sudden disappeared.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

You like the current leaks because it suits your ideological objectives but that doesn't negate the need for a classified network that is not intended for public view.
    This would be a non-issue if we eliminated all of our overseas military commitments, closed all of our bases, and returned every last soldier in uniform from their overseas deployments.

I also have absolutely no problem with people learning how to make an EFP or ammonium based explosives. I only care if they use that knowledge to hurt other people or their property.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    This would be a non-issue if we eliminated all of our overseas military commitments, closed all of our bases, and returned every last soldier in uniform from their overseas deployments.

I also have absolutely no problem with people learning how to make an EFP or ammonium based explosives. I only care if they use that knowledge to hurt other people or their property.
    yup.
    There's few things in the world that can't be fixed by the liberal application of duct tape.

Those who say winning isn't everything are the people you want to play against.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MR2-Sooner86's Avatar
    vCash

I have both of these. Great books.
    Loved By The People
    "you are a disgusting pig and should be punished for such vile language. Would you like your mom to see that you wrote that? YOU=Disgusting pig."
    "you lack any semblance of taste and suggest substandard upbringing and education"
    "Guess what? You're a ****ing dildo!"
    "You're an asshat!"
    "racist pig by any chance?"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SCOUT View Post
    I am generally in favor of an open door policy. In fact, one of the greatest tragedies in this country is the current failure of the press. The idea was to have an non-partisan watchdog to make sure that everything was on the up and up. That sadly ended with the 24 hour news cycle and a move towards commercial news. It has become mostly sensationalism.
    This isn't anything new at all.

The press has been partisan and policy-driving since typesetters learned to cut lead. It may have been an idea at one time, but pressmen and "journalists" alike have been painting their brand of the news since before our nation was a nation.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I saw on MSNBC this morning that the Attorney General wants to prosecute Mr. Assange under the 1917 espionage laws.

Wtf did Assange violate? He is not sworn to protect any state secrets like true spies. In my opinion, prosecution of this leak on anyone but the Private First Class is a slippery slope to thought police and a record worse than the Chinese.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I am not saying that a Republican Leader would be better, in my opinion they would be worse.

But Holder and Clinton both look like fools on the stage dancing for the crowd, with all this talk of criminal prosecution.