Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AZSOONER's Avatar
    vCash

New to OKC, looking for great food

I know there are going to be a lot of great places to eat, I've seen some places on Diners Drivins and Dives, I love BBQ, Seafood, Italian, and my wife LOVES Mexican food. We're moving to OKC this weekend and I'd like to get a list going of places I have to try. If someone post a place you like 2nd it for me, cause I know we all have different tastes and I'm going to start going to the places mentioned the most. Thanks for your opinions.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

Re: New to OKC, looking for great food

italian... best in the metro area is victoria's on campus corner in norman. seafood... im partial to cajun at trapper's. BBQ... hell take your pick. oklahoma BBQ is the best in the world!

vCash

I going to have to dissagree with Victoria's.

We've been loving us some Alfredo's lately. It's a messican joint in Moore. Tarahumarah's in Norman is also top notch but you'll most likely have to wait.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

JAHNNIES CHAHCOE BWOILAH
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Long John Silvers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Ann's Chicken Fry House at NW 39th and Tulsa in OKC. Try the chicken fried steak. I had it for the first time today for lunch. Maybe the most tender chicken fried steak I have ever had. Big Truck Tacos is good if you like Mexican street-style tacos. Iron Star Urban BBQ is good. I have heard Leo's BBQ is good. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler is good for burgers. Toby Keith's is pretty good, but don't go on Friday or Saturday night unless you want to wait 2 hours. Lots of decent mexican food places and steak houses. Nic's Grill at 10th and Penn is awesome for burgers, but its tiny and busy....but worth it. However, like Ann's Chicken Fry House, Nic's is cash only. Pearl's is good also.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AZSOONER's Avatar
    vCash

I know about the BBQ, everytime I've been to visit I always hit a BBQ joint. Always satisfied. Vans is good.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I heard Pat Jones on The Sports Animal once talking about being a coach and eatin' a players *** out.

I dunno if that helps or not...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

On a serious note, go to McNellie's and try the sweet potato fries.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I'll back up the Victoria's entry...just make sure you're not in a hurry. They are notoriously slow...but it's my favorite Italian food around. Tarahumara's is the opposite. You might have to wait a while to get a table, but your food will be out before you finish folding up your menu.

I haven't been to Alfredo's, but I like Ricky's (is that right?) in that same part of Moore.

I'll also back up the Iron Star entry. Their BBQ sauce has a little kick to it. Get the mac & cheese. What's the other place that's owned by the Iron Star people? Cheevers? I've heard it's really good too.

Cafe Pranza is one of my favorite Italian spots in OKC.

Mama E's is soul food in OKC (and was featured on DD&D). Loved it.

I ate lunch one time at the BBQ joint just off I-35 kinda by Lincoln Park golf course. Anybody help me out with the name? It was pretty good. If I remember right, it was cafeteria-style dining. I'm always down for some Earl's.

VZD's has some of the best burgers in OKC.

I like Johnnie's, but when in Norman, I'll choose Boomerang over JCB.

The restaurants at Lake Hefner don't really blow me away, but it's a nice setting.

I used to really like Bourbon Street in Bricktown. It's still good, but I'm not crazy about it like I used to be.

Do you know about Hideaway? Solid pizza place.

vCash

Also: Charleston's. Their prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes dinner is one of my top 5 dining out meals in Norman.

BisonWitches has one of my other faves (half a green turkey and a bowl of potato/bacon soup).

Staying in Norman, Legend's is also pretty well-liked.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg View Post
    I'll also back up the Iron Star entry. Their BBQ sauce has a little kick to it. Get the mac & cheese. What's the other place that's owned by the Iron Star people? Cheevers? I've heard it's really good too.
    That group (Good Egg) owns several restaurants in the area. Iron Starr, Cheevers, Pop's, Republic Gastropub, Market-C, and Red Prime.
    at this point in the process, I can only assume it was a typo and they meant to say "cram"...

vCash

Pepe Delgado's is also pretty good in Norman. Mexican-ish (the experts tell me it's more like southern Latin American).

For Mexican food in the OKC metro area, Ted's is very popular, but I don't see what all the hub-bub is about. I mean, it's really good...but worth the wait? With so many other solid options, I only go there with my Ted's-obsessed family and friends (and there are quite a few of them).

Oh, and when you go to Ricky's...get the carne asada.

Chelino's is also a good choice for Mexican.

vCash

I wouldn't even say that Ted's is "really" good.
    at this point in the process, I can only assume it was a typo and they meant to say "cram"...

vCash

Othello's is an old-school Italian favorite on Campus Corner. It's been a while since I've been there, but you used to run pretty good odds on seeing The King when dining there. Patsy's is a spot on Lindsey that kinda broke off from Othello's.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    I wouldn't even say that Ted's is "really" good.
    Heh. I originally put "pretty". For me it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "really good." Would that be just "good"?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg View Post
    Heh. I originally put "pretty". For me it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "really good." Would that be just "good"?
    That's where I put Ted's.

vCash

If you're up for a road trip, Eischen's in Okarche is an Oklahoma landmark. Jake's Rib in Chickasha is also pretty popular. And one of these days you HAVE to make it down to Meers (near Lawton). It was featured on Hamburger America. This guy traveled the country and chose 8 (I think) burger joints to feature in his film. Meers was one of them.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Is Johnny's still going in El Reno? That place was awesome the last time my grandpa took me there 25 years ago. I was eating a Johnny's onion fried burger when I found out Elvis was dead.

vCash

Oh, and Cattleman's...down in the stockyards...is one of those places you have to go to. I know some people who think it's overrated, but you should go see for yourself. I loved it.

Isn't there an old lunch-counter place on (or near) Santa Fe and a mile or so north of 23rd? I used to work around that area and went there once or twice. Can't remember the name of it, but it was tasty!