Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Al Eschbach

vCash

Al Eschbach

I kind of like Al, and here is why: it's plainly apparent that the dude knows very little about anything aside from OU sports (and OU football, more specifically). A person might call in to discuss a recent MLB trade, and he will have no idea that the said trade even occurred. Yet, he somehow pulled the wool over everybody's eyes, and he got his dream job. And he probably gets paid well for it too.

I respect that.

And he even co-teaches a journalism course at OU every Spring which is more precisely an excuse to get onto campus in order to check out cute 18-24 year-old girls.

I respect that too.

I sort of like his personality and voice anyway. He reminds me of the crazy dudes that frequented diners during breakfast in my hometown back East.

And with all of that said: Mark Rodgers is the best host on the Sports Animal (even if he is fairly condescending).

Discuss.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Al Eschbach

For entertainment value I like Traber best with Al close behind. Al can become annoying (or more annoying) when Dean is on and Al is constantly making juvenile innuendoes.

Perhaps Al's knowledge lags Dean and Jim's so he has to interject these comments to be involved. It's amusing sometimes because Dean either gets a little tickled or tries to ignore Al. However too many times there is an interesting topic I'd like to hear about and Al's banter has wasted several minutes. Before you know it it's commercial time again and another 8 minutes of more ads.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Insert obligatory [The Ticket is 1,000x better than the Urinal] comment.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GrapevineSooner View Post
    Insert obligatory [The Ticket is 1,000x better than the Urinal] comment.
    But do you have the sweet sentimentality that is introduced by Al's ignorance or Traber's homophobia/misogyny? I don't think so.

Those big Dallas-dollars can't buy you soul, Grapevine.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

vCash

Actually, those big Dallas dollars can by lots of soul if you know the right street corners.

Or at least rent it.

He's a dork deluxe, but him talking OU football is OK.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Ibaka View Post
    I kind of like Al, and here is why: it's plainly apparent that the dude knows very little about anything aside from OU sports (and OU football, more specifically). A person might call in to discuss a recent MLB trade, and he will have no idea that the said trade even occurred. Yet, he somehow pulled the wool over everybody's eyes, and he got his dream job. And he probably gets paid well for it too.

I respect that.

And he even co-teaches a journalism course at OU every Spring which is more precisely an excuse to get onto campus in order to check out cute 18-24 year-old girls.

I respect that too.

I sort of like his personality and voice anyway. He reminds me of the crazy dudes that frequented diners during breakfast in my hometown back East.

And with all of that said: Mark Rodgers is the best host on the Sports Animal (even if he is fairly condescending).

Discuss.
    OU sports only? You're way off base. Sure he's kind of annoying and you can't always tell what language he's speaking but that dude knows a ton of trivia.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    OU sports only? You're way off base. Sure he's kind of annoying and you can't always tell what language he's speaking but that dude knows a ton of trivia.
    Fair enough. I generally enjoy his ideas about music and movies even while I usually disagree.

One time they used that Strawberry Alarm Clock song as a lead-in from a commercial, and he went on a short-rant about people doing acid in the 60s. It was classic Al Eschbach.

Speaking of which: do you guys ever call the lead-in song before it actually plays? The two they use the most are the beat from the 50 Cent song (In the Club) and the catchy guitar-riffs-from-unnamed-rock-song. They really need to find some new lead-ins.

vCash

I like him and he entertains me, more so than Mark Rogers, way more so. I can listen to Traber alllllll day and Eschbach most of the time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Ibaka View Post
    But do you have the sweet sentimentality that is introduced by Al's ignorance or Traber's homophobia/misogyny? I don't think so.
    No.

But I do have Dan McDowell's dark humor and Norm Hitzges' propensity to go apes**t over any minor disagreement a caller has with him.

vCash

Traber is the most "shock-jock" of the group; he is the most willing to say things to get notoriety.

Or at least I think that's the case because he says a lot of senseless things. And I disagree with him a lot of the time. I'm unsure if he's a very good person because he seems to only appreciate people who agree with him.

I only truly appreciate him when he's telling stories about being in the Bigs. Still, he is generally well informed about sports--he's the opposite of Al, basically.

vCash

Traber sounds like the OKC version of Greggo.

Without the coke and pain killer addiction.

vCash

Traber sounds like the OKC version of Greggo.

Without the coke and pain killer addiction.
    Greggo sounds like the Dallas-sports version of Rush Limbaugh.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

I like Matt Pinto. I haven't heard that much from him yet, but so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    I like Matt Pinto. I haven't heard that much from him yet, but so far so good.

Wait!!!!

The former Mavericks and Clippers play-by-play guy is doing OKC sports radio?

Bestill my beating heart.

vCash

Wait!!!!

The former Mavericks and Clippers play-by-play guy is doing OKC sports radio?

Bestill my beating heart.
    He does play-by-play for the Thunder. He's awesome.

But yeah, I guess he's taking over Sports Animal shifts in his spare time. I feel kind of sad for him, honestly.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah I listend to him during the Thunder broadcasts and when I heard him on the daytime animal I was like WTF?

He seems too classy and too much of a Pro to fit in with the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Al makes over 200k from what I hear and over the last 3-5 years he has been absolutely dreadful.

Dont dare disagree with him or he will just scream in his troll speak until the caller gets sick of it and mostly he just makes derogatory jokes left n right, not that im against that but talk some damn sports man
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Pinto is solid and I absolutely love Spenozi
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Sounds like varieties of beans to me.

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -