Thread: The Dentist

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

The Dentist

I have to go to the dentist Friday. Most people don't like going to the dentist. But I don't mind the actual cleaning and (when needed) drilling. I can even handle that pointy metal pick they use to tear gums apart.

I hate the nagging.

I'm over 50, and I have heard the scolding a hundred times by now. I know I don't floss as often as they want me to. I know I'm not taking care of my teeth like most teeth-obsessed people do.

I'm tired of hearing about it. Real ****ing tired.

I have the urge to tell both the dental hygienist and dentist to just STFU. Maybe I'm the only person with this peeve, but I feel like a little kid having Mommy telling me to eat vegetables so that I will grow up to be a big boy.

Maybe I should corner the dental medicine majors and lecture the crap out of them on proper study habits. "You know, I overheard you talking about cramming for this exam last night. Do you know that two hours of studying every night reduces the need to cram for an exam?"

If I nag them enough, maybe I can make them hate going to class. Then they would know how I feel.

Rant over.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Dentist

I get pretty tired of listening to their crap, too.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 49r's Avatar
    vCash

Don't worry, you'll lose you teeth soon enough then your dentist worries will all be over.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

you should have eaten your veggies....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

My advice is to be sure and tell both the hygienist (a/k/a plaque-scraper woman) and the dentist how they're doing it all wrong and don't know WTF they're doing or talking about, like you love to do here. That should really work out well for ya.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

I went to our new dentist yesterday and he was really a nice guy. The hygienist was blonde, good looking and pregnant. At one point she told me that she was sorry that she was pregnant, and that her fat tummy was in my face. I responded to her that it was not her tummy that was in my face, not that I minded.

She proceeded to clean my teeth as rough and as rugged as I've ever had done. She went to town on me and now I'm skeered of her for the next time.

This is one time that I should have kept my big mouth shut.

BTW, my teeth feel like she took a large cheese grader to them.

On the bright side, the dentist told me that I have nice teeth and no cavities.
    My kids rock the flock!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member fadada1's Avatar
    vCash

my old man is a dentist. there's nothing better than being able to scream "HEY, that freaking hurts!!!!"... but then get laughter in return.
    I don’t know if the block on that last one was due to low trajectory or if the guys up front didn’t hold their ground well enough. I’m not convinced it matters. We have every reason to believe the ball could have gone through the uprights and the refs would have signaled first down Oregon. - D.E.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by fadada1 View Post
    my old man is a dentist. there's nothing better than being able to scream "HEY, that freaking hurts!!!!"... but then get laughter in return.
    That sounds like the opposite of "nothing better." Your dad is a jerk.

But seriously, I agree with Leroy's OP: preachy dentists are annoying. But, at the same time--given that these are people who have devoted their lives to teeth--I sometimes grant them them the moral authority to disapprove of my mouth-hygiene.

It's kind of similar to my mechanic when I was 17: he would tell me how I did not take good enough care of my vehicle. In 2008 I bought a (used) car for the first time, and I take much better care of this new one.

And so all of the preachy dentists of the world at least have their hearts in the right place.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    My advice is to be sure and tell both the hygienist (a/k/a plaque-scraper woman) and the dentist how they're doing it all wrong and don't know WTF they're doing or talking about, like you love to do here.
    Oh, looks who's talking.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    I went to our new dentist yesterday and he was really a nice guy. The hygienist was blonde, good looking and pregnant. At one point she told me that she was sorry that she was pregnant, and that her fat tummy was in my face. I responded to her that it was not her tummy that was in my face, not that I minded.

She proceeded to clean my teeth as rough and as rugged as I've ever had done. She went to town on me and now I'm skeered of her for the next time.
    Sounds like a self-inflicted injury.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard View Post
    I have to go to the dentist Friday. Most people don't like going to the dentist. But I don't mind the actual cleaning and (when needed) drilling. I can even handle that pointy metal pick they use to tear gums apart.

I hate the nagging.

I'm over 50, and I have heard the scolding a hundred times by now. I know I don't floss as often as they want me to. I know I'm not taking care of my teeth like most teeth-obsessed people do.

I'm tired of hearing about it. Real ****ing tired.

I have the urge to tell both the dental hygienist and dentist to just STFU. Maybe I'm the only person with this peeve, but I feel like a little kid having Mommy telling me to eat vegetables so that I will grow up to be a big boy.

Maybe I should corner the dental medicine majors and lecture the crap out of them on proper study habits. "You know, I overheard you talking about cramming for this exam last night. Do you know that two hours of studying every night reduces the need to cram for an exam?"

If I nag them enough, maybe I can make them hate going to class. Then they would know how I feel.

Rant over.
    Before tearing into those oral folks, you should watch the movie: THE DENTIST, with Corbin Bernson.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.