Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: NBA Free Agency: Rumors, Exposition, etc...

I wouldn't do it. 3 starters and a 1rd for one starter? And a starter who may not be the same player after his knee surgery.

Anyways I think it's going to have to be a team that takes on CP3 and Okafor that will make the trade.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

- Chris Paul
    - Emeka Okafor

...to Oklahoma City in exchange for:

- Westbrook
    - Sefolosha
    - Collison
    - Kristic
    - and cash. (No small amount... it's about $5mil...)

OKC's new (by my best estimation) starting lineup would be...

- Paul
    - Harden
    - Durant
    - Ibaka
    - Okafor

That's a better, and better-suited to the West, lineup than our current one. Also, it features a bench of Jeff Green, Eric Maynor, Daequan Cook, Morris Peterson, and would allow Kyle Weaver and D.J. White their "call-ups" so we don't lose them. That's a talented, and experienced, bench. Then, in addition to that, add some more depth in that kid from Kansas. We make up for losing Collison and Krstic with starting two defensive-minded, rebounding big men, and then mixing it up with different looks from Green, White, and Aldrich.

In addition, bigger guards in Cook and Peterson, both also good outside shooters, will help with size, and Green and White play bigger than they are, but, just like last year, if our starters get into foul trouble, we're in trouble. I think that, no matter what, we're a year or two away from being legit contenders... but I think that, given Paul's history, if his health holds up, we're setting ourselves up to be championship contenders starting next season.

If Harden doesn't pan out, there are two starter-caliber players waiting at his position, in Cook and Peterson. If Ibaka doesn't pan out, then Green goes back to starting at the four. If there are problems with Okafor, then move Green in, Ibaka up, and Okafor out, and you're still subbing with Aldrich, White, and Okafor.

Players that can play point would be an issue, though. If we lose Paul for any length of time, Maynor is it for point guard depth, meaning we'd have to try to bring in a vet, or play Cook or Weaver there as Maynor's backup. Not exactly a championship recipe. And I think that Paul's health will be a concern until he can prove that it won't be again.

That's why I look for him to move sometime in December, and it could be us he's moving towards. Who knows?

- Head? It's genius. Two bona-fide NBA superstars in Paul, who this city already loves, and Durant, who this city would keep as their "alpha-love." Not Batman and Robin, but Superman (Durant) and Batman (Paul).

- Heart? F*ck that. This team has built something together, and if they get a chance to finish it, together, whether or not they actually DO finish it, we're going to get front-row seats to the show of a lifetime. How can you not root for that?

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Would N.O. accept this though? I feel like they would insist on getting Westbrook AND Green in a scenario that leaves them giving up their superstar and starting center, but maybe I'm wrong--Colly's and Nenad's expiring contracts + Thabo's cheap contract would put them in a much improved cap situation. And up-and-coming Westbrook would nearly be the next-best-thing to losing your star PG.

At any rate, I think you're right: this would be an excellent trade for OKC. But I think I would be sad if it happened. This team is my first (NBA) Love, and I want to celebrate with all of the parts in-tact. I was even sad on the day that Shaun Livingston was released.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

if N.O. is ready to give up Paul, do you think that they think Collison is ready to run the offense there? He did a very good job in replacing paul. Something along the lines of 15 PPG and 6 or 7 APG.

vCash

- Collison
    - Westbrook
    - Posey
    - West
    - Kristic

That brings (Nick) Collison, Sefolosha, Julian Wright, Peja, and some scrubs (Hilton Armstrong, Darius Songalia) off of the bench, too. Decent lineup, but small... but wouldn't you run teams to death with Collison and Westbrook on the court together? You'd almost have to find some to start in place of Krstic, which, with the extra cash to make the deal work, shouldn't be too hard...

A guy like Louis Amundson from Phoenix, or, depending on the money, Josh Howard, and then go super small, starting West at the 5, Posey at the 4, and Howard at the 3. That lineup would run, run, run... until Posey's old-*ssed legs gave out in the 3rd every night... then they'd have to trade him for Amundson anyway...

Craig Smith from the Clippers... Josh Boone from the Nets... even Udoka or Sean May from the Kings...

Any of those guys would be a good fit as a big on that up-and-down team, especially Amundson or Boone, both guys that you could EASILY get for $5mil/per or less... in the case of Boone, likely MUCH less... there's more of a market for Amundson, though.

Also... if you have any questions about Collison, take a look at his game log from last season, and keep in mind that Paul went down around the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=3973

If I was New Orleans, knowing that Paul wanted out anyway, I'd do it now, while there's still time to get a lot of value back in return. OKC could probably even part with a draft pick...

But, like I said, as OKC, I'd do it thinking about my job, but as a fan of the game; someone who loves the game, I couldn't do it. Keep this team together... and stop adding Tejas players to it...

But yeah, NOLA should do it in a heartbeat if it comes up...

the_ouskull

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    - Chris Paul
    - Emeka Okafor

...to Oklahoma City in exchange for:

- Westbrook
    - Sefolosha
    - Collison
    - Kristic
    - and cash. (No small amount... it's about $5mil...)

OKC's new (by my best estimation) starting lineup would be...

- Paul
    - Harden
    - Durant
    - Ibaka
    - Okafor

That's a better, and better-suited to the West, lineup than our current one. Also, it features a bench of Jeff Green, Eric Maynor, Daequan Cook, Morris Peterson, and would allow Kyle Weaver and D.J. White their "call-ups" so we don't lose them. That's a talented, and experienced, bench. Then, in addition to that, add some more depth in that kid from Kansas. We make up for losing Collison and Krstic with starting two defensive-minded, rebounding big men, and then mixing it up with different looks from Green, White, and Aldrich.

In addition, bigger guards in Cook and Peterson, both also good outside shooters, will help with size, and Green and White play bigger than they are, but, just like last year, if our starters get into foul trouble, we're in trouble. I think that, no matter what, we're a year or two away from being legit contenders... but I think that, given Paul's history, if his health holds up, we're setting ourselves up to be championship contenders starting next season.

If Harden doesn't pan out, there are two starter-caliber players waiting at his position, in Cook and Peterson. If Ibaka doesn't pan out, then Green goes back to starting at the four. If there are problems with Okafor, then move Green in, Ibaka up, and Okafor out, and you're still subbing with Aldrich, White, and Okafor.

Players that can play point would be an issue, though. If we lose Paul for any length of time, Maynor is it for point guard depth, meaning we'd have to try to bring in a vet, or play Cook or Weaver there as Maynor's backup. Not exactly a championship recipe. And I think that Paul's health will be a concern until he can prove that it won't be again.

That's why I look for him to move sometime in December, and it could be us he's moving towards. Who knows?

- Head? It's genius. Two bona-fide NBA superstars in Paul, who this city already loves, and Durant, who this city would keep as their "alpha-love." Not Batman and Robin, but Superman (Durant) and Batman (Paul).

- Heart? F*ck that. This team has built something together, and if they get a chance to finish it, together, whether or not they actually DO finish it, we're going to get front-row seats to the show of a lifetime. How can you not root for that?

the_ouskull
    I like that trade, and I think it would fit NO needs (expiring contracts)
    But you can only send up to 3 mill in cash. Not that that effects the deal.

But I think it hurts OKC this year, because of a lack of depth. But I think over the next couple of years they can add the right pieces. Had this deal come up earlier and there were still more FA this off season available I would be all over this.

*of course all of this is dependent of CP3 saying yes to going to OKC, since OKC wasn't on his list.

vCash

I'm not saying that the deal is going to happen either. It's a hypothetical deal.

Although with the Thunder signing Royal Ivey today, maybe they have something up their sleeve. That's the only reason I can think of to sign former Tejas players. (Durant was only there for one year. Doesn't count.)

the_ouskull

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Yeah, it only took Durant 1 year to realize his mistake. We all make mistakes. What matters is how we respond.

vCash

Juwan Howard signed with the Heat. It is only his ninth team.

vCash

One thing that would make me more willing to trade away several dudes for Chris Paul: I'm not very confident about Westbrook wanting to be in Oklahoma. Maybe once he and Durant begin to do really amazing things in the next few seasons that will change, but I would not be surprised if Westbrook wants to fly back home and play for for the Lakers.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Ibaka View Post
    One thing that would make me more willing to trade away several dudes for Chris Paul: I'm not very confident about Westbrook wanting to be in Oklahoma. Maybe once he and Durant begin to do really amazing things in the next few seasons that will change, but I would not be surprised if Westbrook wants to fly back home and play for for the Lakers.
    Seeing as Chris Paul didn't put OKC on his list despite playing here, I'm not sure how much he wants to be here either.

vCash

Then f*ck 'im. We'll win without him.

BUT...

Something that, hard as it may be to believe, we're going to have to get used to, is that Durant is going to make players consider OKC that wouldn't otherwise consider OKC. He's here, guys. He's long-term. Now, who do we put around him to win with...?

I still can't believe that I just said that about Kevin freaking Durant. Geez, talk about your all-time backfires. At least I was right about him making a bad 4.

the_ouskull

vCash

Sources: Heat targeting Erick Dampier
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trueho...ory?id=5839820

Don't fall for it, Miami!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

Heat lose at home tonight to mighty Indiana 93-77
    8-6 on the year PATHETIC
    Let me see your war face!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member boomersooner28's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerbub View Post
    Heat lose at home tonight to mighty Indiana 93-77
    8-6 on the year PATHETIC
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!