Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Exclamation Detroit pitcher flat SCREWED out of a perfect game.....

2 outs in the 9th, batter hits one to the first baseman who throws to the pitcher (Galarraga) covering for the final out (he was out by a foot). Only problem is the ump blew the call & said he was safe. I'm not even a Tiger fan & I'm sick for the guy.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Detroit pitcher flat SCREWED out of a perfect game.....

yah i hope this ump loses his job, wife, and kids to another man.

party pooper
    vCash

yeah...he was screwed. But thats part of the game. I didn't see the whole AB...watched it on gamecast, and at least in that application, the first strike to the last batter was called way outside...which is about where the final pitch to him was hit. He got one call his way, and the ultimate call against him in that AB....such is the breaks.

vCash

death threats coming his way .

vCash

Heard some post game from Galarraga, he said Joyce (the umpire) personally apologized to him with tears in his eyes.

vCash

vCash

To blow that call in that situation is beyond ridiculous, or even stupidity. You just don't miss that particular call in that particular situation.

...and yeah: it wouldn't hurt my feelers if this guy lost his job over it. I am sick of officials screwing up and nothing really being done about it.

...and hell! I don't even like baseball and I'm p*ssed about this.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

On another note, since when did it become easy for pitchers to throw a perfect game?
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    On another note, since when did it become easy for pitchers to throw a perfect game?
    It's pretty damn hard when the umps are against ya doing it!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    Since they started testing for roids? And since they opened up the strikezone.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Theyve been testing for about 7 years now, I think its just that the pitchers are better and they arent being squeezed by the umps as much

It was a screw job but what can ya do, it was a mistake and the ump apologized
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

this kind of **** is the reason the MLB needs to expand its replay system to include more than just home runs. i honestly feel bad for the ump, but i feel even worse for that pitcher. that would have been the 3rd perfect game this season, and 2nd in like 5 days!

vCash

I disagree, you know how many close plays there are on the bases...are you gonna review every other play of the game?

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    I disagree, you know how many close plays there are on the bases...are you gonna review every other play of the game?
    limit it to 2 per game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...gareplay060210

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    this kind of **** is the reason the MLB needs to expand its replay system to include more than just home runs. i honestly feel bad for the ump, but i feel even worse for that pitcher. that would have been the 3rd perfect game this season, and 2nd in like 5 days!
    God no...please no more instant replay. We don't need games taking forever because every close call has to be reviewed. Yeah, instant replay would 'fix' this particular issue, and a few others that occur over the course of a season. But how often then will umpires make the call thats more easily reversed because they will have the benefit of replay...or how often will close plays that umpires get right 99% of the time already be reviewed and how much longer is that going to drag out the game.

Also: Having replay takes away one of the central messages of baseball to young kids (or at least one of the central messages I got as a kid): The game ain't always fair. Deal with it.

I'm just going to re-post what I wrote about this on Paperclip's FB:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    As bad a call as it was, Im having a tough time getting worked up over it. For any PG or NoNo, a pitcher needs a few calls to go his way. Sometimes those are bad calls. It's part of the game, and players have known that since childhood. You put it behind you and get on to the next batter/game.

I believe Joyce when he says that in the moment he believed the runner beat it out. That's the best we can ask for umps. To call it like they see it. I'd rather have that than to have an ump determine his call on a close play based on what is at stake.

And as Paperclip responded..."It's too bad we're talking about an umpire and not Gallaraga, not to mention Austin Jackson's unbelievable catch."

And he's absolutely right. The guy pitched a great game, whether it was a PG or not. Jackson made a hell of a catch. Willy Mays Style. It was a fricking great game. It had a bad call in it, like lots of games do. Gallaraga did exactly what players everywhere are expected to do after a bad call. He got back on that bump and got the next guy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    God no...please no more instant replay. We don't need games taking forever because every close call has to be reviewed. Yeah, instant replay would 'fix' this particular issue, and a few others that occur over the course of a season. But how often then will umpires make the call thats more easily reversed because they will have the benefit of replay...or how often will close plays that umpires get right 99% of the time already be reviewed and how much longer is that going to drag out the game.

Also: Having replay takes away one of the central messages of baseball to young kids (or at least one of the central messages I got as a kid): The game ain't always fair. Deal with it.

I'm just going to re-post what I wrote about this on Paperclip's FB:

And as Paperclip responded..."It's too bad we're talking about an umpire and not Gallaraga, not to mention Austin Jackson's unbelievable catch."

And he's absolutely right. The guy pitched a great game, whether it was a PG or not. Jackson made a hell of a catch. Willy Mays Style. It was a fricking great game. It had a bad call in it, like lots of games do. Gallaraga did exactly what players everywhere are expected to do after a bad call. He got back on that bump and got the next guy.
    there is absolutely no reason, with the given technology we have, to continue to keep the MLB without a halfway decent replay system. it's a joke, and it would NOT stretch the games forever like you say it would...especially if the number of replays were limited in a game.

vCash

So, what if there were two plays earlier in the game...that play wouldnt be reviewed anyway. I dont agree, Joyce has been one of the better MLB umpires for years, he made a big frickin mistake but it didnt cost the Tigers a win or a playoff spot, unfortunately it did cost them though

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

You are dead on IKE, not to mention, if you watch it in regular speed it is very very close. The umpire doesnt have the ability to slow it down like we do, doesnt take away from the fact that he missed it but I dont want replay either

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

there is absolutely no reason, with the given technology we have, to continue to keep the MLB without a halfway decent replay system. it's a joke, and it would NOT stretch the games forever like you say it would...especially if the number of replays were limited in a game.
    How many times throughout a season does something like this come down to an umpires call? Why even have umpires, why not just use cameras and technology. There is no place for further replay in baseball

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    So, what if there were two plays earlier in the game...that play wouldnt be reviewed anyway. I dont agree, Joyce has been one of the better MLB umpires for years, he made a big frickin mistake but it didnt cost the Tigers a win or a playoff spot, unfortunately it did cost them though
    listen, i'm no expert on instant replay systems...but if there's ALREADY one in place for home runs, it's plain silly to not have one for other circumstances. the umping this year has been a joke across the league, and for a sport that relies more on the human eye than just about any other sport, it needs some kind of replay system.