Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

USC at odds with NCAA over proposed sanctions

From the Arizona State board...http://www.cactusranch.com/devils/sd...rd/123550.html

I have it on very good authority that USC has been going back and forth with the NCAA about the proposed sanctions on the athletic program. The NCAA has come back twice in recent weeks and told USC that it was ready to levy sanctions, but each time SC has cried foul and used their legal team to push back on the NCAA. He said that they have even challenged the NCAA's ability to levy certain sanctions, and they have let the NCAA know that they are prepared for a landcape-changing legal battle if the sanctions are too harsh. In other words, SC has stopped playing nice and is now threatening a very lengthy and costly legal battle that would challenge the NCAA's jurisdiction like never before. He mentioned that other schools around the country are pushing the NCAA to stand its ground. He thinks USC is trying to bluff the NCAA into something lighter while "negotiations" are still private. He said that USC would probably reverse course if and when this becomes a public process (like after sanctions are announced). He says it is truly unprecendented for the NCAA to have a school threatening to challenge its role. He said that legal bills for USC are well north of $2 million already, and that SC has no shortage of $ to fight. What will stop USC is the bad press if they try to fight the NCAA and come off looking like spoiled cheaters. Sorry if this is rambling - I am typing as I recall our conversation today.

USC feels they have been successful to a certain degree already. They have already apparently persuaded the NCAA to ratchet down the sanctions on the football program to a certain extent, but USC is not satisfied yet and is still working the NCAA. There is regular dialogue between the NCAA and USC, and most of the dialogue is initiated by USC. He said if 2 days go by without any word from the NCAA, the USC legal team is calling them. The USC legal team feels it can create a bit of a niche in bullying the NCAA, and they think that any success they have this time around can be used to get other universities to hire them - no joke. It's an entrepreneurial opportunity! That's really the way they have been talking.

I don't make this stuff up. I have a business associate who is a real estate tycoon, and he is one of SC's largest boosters - let's leave it at that.
    Norman Michaels

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: USC at odds with NCAA over proposed sanctions

On the one hand, it really annoys me that USC gets to bargain their sanctions.

On the other hand, it'd be nice to see a legal ruling to take the NCAA down a notch or two.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerloyal's Avatar
    vCash

Of course, they have been successful so far - is there ANY other school that could pull this BS and get away with it? Absolutely NOT.

While I agree that the NCAA needs to be challenged and taken down several notches - the fact that it's USC trying to do it, believing they are above playing by anyone's rules (other than their own), well, that just chaps my azz considerably. And I doubt I'm alone.

If the NCAA allows USC to dictate this whole process any more than they already have - especially in terms of how the school and program are punished - I hope there is a sh*tstorm and uprising by other schools the likes of which the NCAA has never seen...and will regret for the rest of its existence.

This whole sham of a real "investigation" has been a joke from the beginning. Either USC has the anchor dropped on its head, or the NCAA needs to be punished hard itself. Shame on both parties.
    "I thought the only way we could beat Bama is if they came in unmotivated like we did against Boise. Bama wasn't caught off guard, OU didn't use cheap-*** trickeration...for 60 minutes we punched them in the face and they went down." - SoonernAR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    - Hubert H. Humphrey

In the hills and trees west of Tulseytown.
    vCash

Hmmm... let me get this straight: USC is trying to lessen the sanctions by threatening legal action?

The last time we saw legal action by a school vs. the NCAA, the NCAA proceeded to go on a decade-long witch hunt. (We all know how that ened up.)

I say let them "fight on." With Kiffin and Orgeron back in the saddle there and Mike "Win at All Costs" Garrett running the ranch, it will be just a matter of time before they **really** eff things up for themselves. And if the NCAA lets them off the hook for these egregious actions, then the NCAA can kiss any sort of compliance by anyone goodbye because they have now set the precedent: your boosters can do whatever they want and we won't do squat.

Also: if USC is a voluntary member of the NCAA, don't they have to comply with the rules set forth by the NCAA? (See Shawnee HS v. OSSAA a couple of years back... I'll defer to the legal types here to discuss.)

Williesan
    OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL - THE HOME OF CHAMPIONS!
    BIG XII CHAMPIONS: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000
    (We could claim more, but we're not 'Bama!)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

is there any way for them to both lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

vCash

^^THIS^^.
    "I thought the only way we could beat Bama is if they came in unmotivated like we did against Boise. Bama wasn't caught off guard, OU didn't use cheap-*** trickeration...for 60 minutes we punched them in the face and they went down." - SoonernAR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    - Hubert H. Humphrey

Wild West Wench
    vCash

Cheaters cheating the process of being punished for cheating.

Ugh, SUC v. NCAA is like SUC v. whorns. A plague on all their houses.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Williesan View Post
    Hmmm... let me get this straight: USC is trying to lessen the sanctions by threatening legal action?

The last time we saw legal action by a school vs. the NCAA, the NCAA proceeded to go on a decade-long witch hunt. (We all know how that ened up.)
    True, but the situations were much different. We fought in court over tv rights for all of college football. USC is fighting (allegedly) sanctions without using the normal appeals process. In other words, they are trying to break down the entire rules process...

... but only for themselves!

They're not trying to create a better landscape for college football. They're just trying to weasel out of the sanctions that every other team in college football would have accepted or appealed.

And those of you who think it would be great to see the NCAA "taken down a notch" don't understand what is happening. The NCAA is not going to change their manner towards other schools, just USC. Poor ole TCU or Indiana or Alabama Tech are going to be no better off for it. In fact, the NCAA could ratchet up their intolerance to prove they are still viable.

This all assumes the story is true. I'm not sure it is.

One more thing: The NCAA should never negotiate sanctions. You heard the evidence; you lay out the sanctions. If the school gets upset, they can appeal. That's the way it should be.
    Last edited by Leroy Lizard; 5/16/2010 at 12:04 PM.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

The USC legal team feels it can create a bit of a niche in bullying the NCAA, and they think that any success they have this time around can be used to get other universities to hire them - no joke.
    I hate to inform USC that, unlike what they think, they are not God's gift to the legal profession and that other universities have lawyers too.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Why if USC manages to do that it would damage the NCAA's credi..haha...credi..haha...credibility...hahahaha hahaha

Sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

**** SUC and the National Communists Against Athletes!

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

From an aSu board.
    I have it on very good authority
    posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

We should have threatened legal action back in '89.

They would have literally burned OU to the ground.

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

To be fair to SC guys, we, too, protested the NCAA's finding against us in the Bomar/Quinn fiasco. We had our 2005 wins vacated (even though we didn't have too many of them that season) initially, only to have Boren et al get them reinstated later.

Perhaps that is what SC is up to. I am not sure.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

We are either about to see that usc isnt as relevant as they seem to think or that the ncaa is as spineless as we think...Hmmm?
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    To be fair to SC guys, we, too, protested the NCAA's finding against us in the Bomar/Quinn fiasco. We had our 2005 wins vacated (even though we didn't have too many of them that season) initially, only to have Boren et al get them reinstated later.

Perhaps that is what SC is up to. I am not sure.
    We did it thru a formal protest with the infractions committee after our infractions were announced, we didnt try and secretly bully them into ruling in our favor. Apples and Oranges
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Wild West Wench
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    We did it thru a formal protest with the infractions committee after our infractions were announced, we didnt try and secretly bully them into ruling in our favor. Apples and Oranges
    Yep. And why would we want to be fair to SUC? They deserve no such consideration.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member fadada1's Avatar
    vCash

this is like tiger woods getting his wife to pay HIM for diddling half the waitresses in the USA. usc f-ed up... they know it... we know it... pigmies in the amazon know it. usc just doesn't want to accept it. i hope they get clobbered.
    I don’t know if the block on that last one was due to low trajectory or if the guys up front didn’t hold their ground well enough. I’m not convinced it matters. We have every reason to believe the ball could have gone through the uprights and the refs would have signaled first down Oregon. - D.E.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    We did it thru a formal protest with the infractions committee after our infractions were self-announced, we didnt try and secretly bully them into ruling in our favor. Apples and Oranges

(slightly fixed)

Yup.

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Sooner Starter
    vCash

will their recruits leave?