Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

What PF's will be on the market?

This is the 1st time I've visited OKC Thunder Talk, but I was curious if they have a chance at any of the power forwards or centers that will be free agents this year. I saw one mock draft that have them taking Daniel Orton who would help defensively but brings nothing to the table offensively at center. Thoughts?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~ Confucius

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What PF's will be on the market?

Orton would bring zero to the table for several yrs, just like Mullins is now. The emergence of Ibaka is huge, rumors have us taking a shot at Bosh.
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Boozer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

I think we are in more need of a center than PF. I think Serge will continue to develope as a PF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

vCash

We need a consistent post scorer/defender/rebounder. We need "a big man," and if he plays the 3, 4, or 5 doesn't matter. They'll make it work as long as he can play. Bosh would likely play the 4 for us since he has a better jumper than Ibaka. On defense, they're interchangeable.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

I vote for a 2 that can pull it consistently from outside. I like our bigs. If we can shoot consistently from outside, that helps them out quite a bit.
    Fear the 'Stache!

vCash

Give Harden more time, and he'll be that guy. He was just a rookie last year. He's just not good enough, defensively, to merit giving him more of Thabo's minutes, and he'll continue to learn his way around the court offensively as well.

Our bigs, on the other hand, were, well...

And, while I could throw a ton of regular stats at you to back up what I'm saying (Ibaka and Durant were the only players to average over one block per game at 1.3, and 1.0, respectively - or our starting four and five, Green and Krstic, only averaged a combined 1.5 blocks and 11 boards per game) I'm going to go with something a little different, 'cause that's me...

According to OUR offensive production, our weakest two positions were the two we're discussing: SG, and C, checking in with a PER of 13.2, and 15.0. So our 2's were worse than the league average, and our bigs were right at it.

BUT...

According to our opponents production, once again, by position... we... ya know, what...? What it boils down to is, the Net Production, by position, of our team last year says that we need a big (-2.3) worse than we need a guard (-0.9) which makes even more sense when you consider that we just drafted a guard last season.

My info: http://www.82games.com/0910/0910OKC5.HTM

I mean, man, according to the numbers, our best lineup last season was Maynor, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, and Collison. Sadly, that leaves Westbrook off of the court, as well as Jeff Green. Now what? If anything, we have too many guards, but at least our depth there is good. OKC's bigs are f-u-c-t if one of them goes down. Instead of being Krstic and Green, with Collison and Ibaka coming off of the bench, it becomes Green and Collison, with Ibaka and D.J. White. There's a drop-off. If we lose Thabo, or Maynor, or Harden, for any length of time, we have depth to cover it.

...at least as the team stands today, anyway.

the_ouskull

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Kristic is the most likely to not be around next yr IMO unless we pull off a big trade, then its Jeff Green

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

i'd like to see serge start at the 4 next year, and have green come off the bench in a 6th man type of role for that shot of offense...but then, i'm not sure where harden would fit into that equation. maybe bring both him and green off the bench at the same time?

vCash

With our current roster, no changes...

Westbrook
    Harden
    Durant
    Ibaka
    Krstic

That would bring Green, Thabo, and Collison - three starters at various points in the past few years... off the bench for us, along with Eric Maynor, who still has a lot of upside, and D.J. White. That's a scrappy second unit, but they'd have a lot of trouble scoring...

BUT it's only the second string. No starters.

That's just me, though. Green would have to vastly improve his shot-selection in order to be the offensive focal point for the second unit as an undersized power forward or a three with a poor handle. But, with Maynor's development, I'm sure that the second unit could at the very least, hold leads.

the_ouskull

vCash

I think the Maynor pickup was genius, I loved the guy in college and he showed flashes of being really good at times. You have to think Harden will only get better and barring a trade, so will Green.

Dont laugh Skull but what do you think about bringing Redick in or is he gonna cost too much? Career 39% shooter from 3 in the NBA, shot over 40% this year. I just wonder if his ego still tells him he is a starter in the NBA?

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Man, that's the thing about Reddick. He's never been "an ego guy" in the league. He's a poet. He's humble. He's paid, a lot longer than he probably originally thought he would be.

He wouldn't be able to see many minutes for us, shooter or not, 'cause we'd have to constantly hide him on defense, and he's not athletic enough to run with the team for long stretches and still maintain offensive consistency.

I mean, he's a 10-point per game guy in Orlando, but we don't have anybody like Howard that commands the post double-team. (Durant will, but he's not a good enough passer out of it yet...) He'll have less time to get those corner 3's out of his hands.

I'd just rather see us go after someone who is a bit more multi-faceted, and can still shoot...

But I don't want to see anything until they take care of their issue with their bigs. And, since Bosh is going to go to Houston...

the_ouskull

vCash

david lee would bring a lot of production no doubt, but i still don't know if his game is "big" enough to be the answer we need down low... plus he isn't a great defender, but i'm confident brooks could coach him up
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    The only question I have concerning [Griffin] and Griner is who has the bigger dick?

Serge starting over Green...at the 4...no. We have a smaller, faster line up then most. I like Serge at the 5 starting ahead of Kirstic. Again, like Skull said about Harden being a Rook same is to be said of Serge. We have absolutely no offensive depth at the 2. Kirstic is our only offensive threat from the 5, but lacks big rebound and block numbers. If Serge could develop the pick and pop and some "real" inside scoring, we would be well off in the front court. You can't forget the intagibles that Collison provides. I wouldn't turn down a good big, but the ones available don't fit the work ethic and attitude of the team we have now.
    Fear the 'Stache!

vCash

Itd be great if we could draft Udoh

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by starclassic tama View Post
    david lee would bring a lot of production no doubt, but i still don't know if his game is "big" enough to be the answer we need down low... plus he isn't a great defender, but i'm confident brooks could coach him up
    He is gonna cost a pretty penny and really doesnt address our needs, good player though

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Well, the thing about David Lee. Yeah, he's only like, 6'9", but he plays a lot bigger than that...

..and don't give him TOO much crap for his defense. He's been on D'Antoni's defensive juggernaut for a few seasons now.

And, since I just realized a weakness of mine... (What? Doesn't everybody constantly search for theirs...?) I am going to provide statistics to back up my argument. Either that, or I am going to delete everything below and including this paragraph and just sign the post here. That's the weakness. Sometimes, I make arguments with nothing backing them up, 'cause, to me, it's obvious Lee's a really, really good player that would help us a great deal... (Except against the Lakers, 'cause their size is just too much, and Lee - no matter how big he plays - is only 6'9".

Anyway..

Among players who played the majority of their minutes at the center position, David Lee ranked 4th in the league in PER last season. (Duncan, Howard, and Oden were the three above him...) All "real" centers. (Yeah, I know Duncan's a power forward. He's a four so he can be an All-Star...) That's better than Bogut, Bynum, and (Mark) Gasol. It's better than a similar player, also from UF, in Al Horford. He ranked 14th overall, with no positional considerations taken into account.

Alright, screw it. I don't need stats for this... even though his rebound rate is 17.9%, and he's a 20/10 guy who shoots 80% from the line and 55% from the field (with a TS% closer to 60%...) while dishing out 3.5 assists per game and rarely getting into foul trouble.

I don't stats 'cause his biggest defensive weakness - weak side help as a shot-blocker, happens to be Serge's specialty. Also, since we play more team than individual defense, he won't find himself in a lot of weak side "I have to make this play defensively" situations. Sure, he's not big enough to bang with L.A., but I'd rather have him out there than Collison. (No offense to Collison, whose game I respect, even as I look to replace it...)

Oh, and, even in D'Antoni's offense, he only took 8 three's all season. That alone is reason enough to try to make him the consolation prize when they can't land Bosh from Houston.

the_ouskull

vCash

but is he interested in coming to OKC?
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    The only question I have concerning [Griffin] and Griner is who has the bigger dick?

vCash

David Lee? Man, I don't think he cares, much. I think he'd love the younger team here. I think he'd fit in well, both on and off of the court, with the team and with the community.

What's working against us? Well, he's got what he'd like to make an acting career on his hands. (Commercials, some TV stuff...) That won't get helped along a great deal in Oklahoma. (Lakers?) Also, he's a Missouri prep school kid. So, he may not like the "culture" of the state. Then again, he DID go to school in Florida, and they even out-redneck us, I think. If not, they're neck-in-neck in their attempt to out white-trash us.

the_ouskull

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    Well, the thing about David Lee. Yeah, he's only like, 6'9", but he plays a lot bigger than that...

..and don't give him TOO much crap for his defense. He's been on D'Antoni's defensive juggernaut for a few seasons now.

And, since I just realized a weakness of mine... (What? Doesn't everybody constantly search for theirs...?) I am going to provide statistics to back up my argument. Either that, or I am going to delete everything below and including this paragraph and just sign the post here. That's the weakness. Sometimes, I make arguments with nothing backing them up, 'cause, to me, it's obvious Lee's a really, really good player that would help us a great deal... (Except against the Lakers, 'cause their size is just too much, and Lee - no matter how big he plays - is only 6'9".

Anyway..

Among players who played the majority of their minutes at the center position, David Lee ranked 4th in the league in PER last season. (Duncan, Howard, and Oden were the three above him...) All "real" centers. (Yeah, I know Duncan's a power forward. He's a four so he can be an All-Star...) That's better than Bogut, Bynum, and (Mark) Gasol. It's better than a similar player, also from UF, in Al Horford. He ranked 14th overall, with no positional considerations taken into account.

Alright, screw it. I don't need stats for this... even though his rebound rate is 17.9%, and he's a 20/10 guy who shoots 80% from the line and 55% from the field (with a TS% closer to 60%...) while dishing out 3.5 assists per game and rarely getting into foul trouble.

I don't stats 'cause his biggest defensive weakness - weak side help as a shot-blocker, happens to be Serge's specialty. Also, since we play more team than individual defense, he won't find himself in a lot of weak side "I have to make this play defensively" situations. Sure, he's not big enough to bang with L.A., but I'd rather have him out there than Collison. (No offense to Collison, whose game I respect, even as I look to replace it...)

Oh, and, even in D'Antoni's offense, he only took 8 three's all season. That alone is reason enough to try to make him the consolation prize when they can't land Bosh from Houston.

the_ouskull
    IF Lee IS a team first player,I am all for it.Given the desire for STAR treatment or should I say desire to be treated likeTHE STAR that Bosh allegedly has ,I would prefer Lee.I do think we need more scoring from the primeter as well,either a shooting guard or SF with 3PT range.Not looking fo a starter but a scoring threat off the bench.Sam and the guys have done a good job so far deciding what OKC needs and then getting that player so I rest easy in that regard.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member