Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Sheriff Joe WON'T RUN for Governor

He announced yesterday he will stay Sheriff. He said he didn't want the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors appointing a Sheriff.(he would have to resign as sheriff first, before running for governor) The County Board of Supervisors is a very pro-illegal group of politicos, that fight Joe's law enforcement efforts at every opportunity. I applaud his decision.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Sheriff Joe WON'T RUN for Governor

Are you serious? This person is responsible for some of the greatest misuses of power we've seen in our modern society. He would have fit in far too well with Tammany Hall had he been a New Yorker of that era. He's a reprehensible person with no moral center.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerAtKU View Post
    Are you serious? This person is responsible for some of the greatest misuses of power we've seen in our modern society. He would have fit in far too well with Tammany Hall had he been a New Yorker of that era. He's a reprehensible person with no moral center.
    FWIW, The people of AZ tend to disagree with your D position.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Go Joe! You the man!!
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

You've stated yer opinion, Do you have any facts to back it up ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

I'm not sure what a D position is, so I am not actually sure how to respond to that. You are correct, though. He is very popular with older, conservative, white people who are scared of immigrants, both legal and illegal. His strong stance on crime and immigration has done him wonders and bought him a tremendous amount of job security and power.

From Wikipedia about things I consider to be abuses or at the very least bad ideas:

Arpaio began to serve inmates surplus food and limited meals to twice daily.

Arpaio set up a "Tent City" as an extension of the Maricopa County Jail [15]. Tent City is located in a yard next to a more permanent structure containing toilets, showers, an area for meals, and a day room.[16] It has become notable particularly because of Phoenix's extreme temperatures.

Despite allegations of misuse of funds received from sales of pink underwear, Arpaio declined to provide an accounting for the money [22].

On March 3, 2009, the United States Department of Justice "notified Arpaio of the investigation in a letter saying his enforcement methods may unfairly target Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people." [32] Arpaio denied any wrongdoing and stated that he welcomed the investigation, and would cooperate fully.[33] By May, 2009, Arpaio had hired a Washington D.C. lobbyist, who wrote to Obama administration officials suggesting that the decision to probe Arpaio had been driven by political rivalries and score settling.[34] In July, 2009, Arpaio publicly stated that he would not cooperate with the investigation.[35]

In October 2009, the Department of Homeland Security removed the authority of Arpaio's 160 federally trained deputies to make immigration arrests in the field. Despite the actions of the Department of Homeland Security, Arpaio has maintained that he will still pursue illegal aliens under Arizona state law.[36]

Arpaio has instructed his sheriff's deputies and members of his civilian posse to arrest illegal aliens. Arpaio told the Washington Times, "My message is clear: if you come here and I catch you, you're going straight to jail.... I'm not going to turn these people over to federal authorities so they can have a free ride back to Mexico. I'll give them a free ride to my jail."[31]

* In March 2009, the United States Department of Justice notified Arpaio of that they were investigating him for civil rights violations, in unfairly targeting Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people.[32]
    * In October 2009, it was reported that the FBI was investigating Arpaio for using his position to settle political vendettas.[37]
    * In January 2010, it was reported that the Department of Justice has impaneled a grand jury to investigate allegations of abuse of power by Arpaio.[38]
    * In March 2010, it was reported that an investigation into Arpaio is "serious and ongoing", according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder. [39]

New reports show that, under Arpaio, the MCSO may be improperly clearing as many as 75% of cases without arrest or proper investigation.

Starting in July 2000, the Maricopa County Sheriff's website hosted Jail Cam, a 24-hour Internet webcast of images from cameras in the Madison Street Jail, a facility which processed and housed only pretrial detainees.

U.S. District Court Judge Earl H. Carroll held in favor of the former detainees, issuing an injunction ending the webcasts. By a 2 to 1 vote, a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the injunction, with the majority opinion stating:

Under Arpaio, the Maricopa County Jails have lost accreditation multiple times.[56] In September, 2008, the National Commission on Correctional Health Care terminated the health care accreditation of all Maricopa County Sheriff's Office jails for failure to maintain compliance with national standards, and providing false information about such compliance. [57][58] In October, 2008, a U.S. district court judge ruled that the grossly inadequate conditions at the Maricopa County Jail, overseen by Arpaio, are unconstitutional and jeopardize the health and safety of prisoners.[59]

From 2004 through November 2007, Arpaio was the target of 2,150 lawsuits in U.S. District Court and hundreds more in Maricopa County courts, with more than $50 million in claims being filed,[60] 50 times as many prison-conditions lawsuits as the New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined.[61] Allegations of cruel treatment of inmates as well as living conditions have been cited by Amnesty International in a report issued on the treatment of inmates in Maricopa County facilities.[62]

In August 2001, Charles Agster, a 33-year-old mentally handicapped man, died in the county jail three days after being forced by sheriff's officers into a restraint chair used for controlling combative arrestees.

One major controversy includes the 1996 death of inmate Scott Norberg, a former Brigham Young University football wide receiver, who died while in custody of the Sheriff's office. After Norberg's corpse was discovered, detention officers accused Norberg of attacking them as they were trying to restrain him. The cause of his death, according to the Maricopa County medical examiner, was due to "positional asphyxia". Sheriff Arpaio investigated and subsequently cleared detention officers of any criminal wrongdoing.[69]

Richard Post was a paraplegic inmate arrested in 1996 for possession of marijuana and criminal trespass. Post was placed in a restraint chair by guards and his neck was broken in the process. The event, caught on video, shows guards smiling and laughing while Post is being injured

In 2009, the East Valley Tribune ran a series of articles that criticized the Maricopa County sheriff for a decline in normal police protection due to an increased focus towards arresting illegal immigrants.[82] The five-part series titled “Reasonable Doubt,” which received a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting, described "slow emergency response times and lax criminal enforcement." [83]

Arpaio's practices have been criticized by organizations such as Amnesty International,[62] the American Civil Liberties Union, the Arizona Ecumenical Council, the American Jewish Committee,[86] and the Arizona chapter of the Anti-Defamation League.[87] The editorial board of The New York Times called Arpaio "America's Worst Sheriff".[88]

So...there's that. Plus, there was no mention of the multi-hundred-thousand dollar bus that was needed for "prisoner transport" but has never been used for such. So there's abuse, there's fraud, AND there's coverup. He's a real Jack of all Trades.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

I'm not sure what a D position is, so I am not actually sure how to respond to that. You are correct, though. He is very popular with older, conservative, white people who are scared of immigrants, both legal and illegal. His strong stance on crime and immigration has done him wonders and bought him a tremendous amount of job security and power.

From Wikipedia about things I consider to be abuses or at the very least bad ideas:

Arpaio began to serve inmates surplus food and limited meals to twice daily.

Arpaio set up a "Tent City" as an extension of the Maricopa County Jail [15]. Tent City is located in a yard next to a more permanent structure containing toilets, showers, an area for meals, and a day room.[16] It has become notable particularly because of Phoenix's extreme temperatures.

Despite allegations of misuse of funds received from sales of pink underwear, Arpaio declined to provide an accounting for the money [22].

On March 3, 2009, the United States Department of Justice "notified Arpaio of the investigation in a letter saying his enforcement methods may unfairly target Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people." [32] Arpaio denied any wrongdoing and stated that he welcomed the investigation, and would cooperate fully.[33] By May, 2009, Arpaio had hired a Washington D.C. lobbyist, who wrote to Obama administration officials suggesting that the decision to probe Arpaio had been driven by political rivalries and score settling.[34] In July, 2009, Arpaio publicly stated that he would not cooperate with the investigation.[35]

In October 2009, the Department of Homeland Security removed the authority of Arpaio's 160 federally trained deputies to make immigration arrests in the field. Despite the actions of the Department of Homeland Security, Arpaio has maintained that he will still pursue illegal aliens under Arizona state law.[36]

Arpaio has instructed his sheriff's deputies and members of his civilian posse to arrest illegal aliens. Arpaio told the Washington Times, "My message is clear: if you come here and I catch you, you're going straight to jail.... I'm not going to turn these people over to federal authorities so they can have a free ride back to Mexico. I'll give them a free ride to my jail."[31]

* In March 2009, the United States Department of Justice notified Arpaio of that they were investigating him for civil rights violations, in unfairly targeting Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people.[32]
    * In October 2009, it was reported that the FBI was investigating Arpaio for using his position to settle political vendettas.[37]
    * In January 2010, it was reported that the Department of Justice has impaneled a grand jury to investigate allegations of abuse of power by Arpaio.[38]
    * In March 2010, it was reported that an investigation into Arpaio is "serious and ongoing", according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder. [39]

New reports show that, under Arpaio, the MCSO may be improperly clearing as many as 75% of cases without arrest or proper investigation.

Starting in July 2000, the Maricopa County Sheriff's website hosted Jail Cam, a 24-hour Internet webcast of images from cameras in the Madison Street Jail, a facility which processed and housed only pretrial detainees.

U.S. District Court Judge Earl H. Carroll held in favor of the former detainees, issuing an injunction ending the webcasts. By a 2 to 1 vote, a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the injunction, with the majority opinion stating:

Under Arpaio, the Maricopa County Jails have lost accreditation multiple times.[56] In September, 2008, the National Commission on Correctional Health Care terminated the health care accreditation of all Maricopa County Sheriff's Office jails for failure to maintain compliance with national standards, and providing false information about such compliance. [57][58] In October, 2008, a U.S. district court judge ruled that the grossly inadequate conditions at the Maricopa County Jail, overseen by Arpaio, are unconstitutional and jeopardize the health and safety of prisoners.[59]

From 2004 through November 2007, Arpaio was the target of 2,150 lawsuits in U.S. District Court and hundreds more in Maricopa County courts, with more than $50 million in claims being filed,[60] 50 times as many prison-conditions lawsuits as the New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined.[61] Allegations of cruel treatment of inmates as well as living conditions have been cited by Amnesty International in a report issued on the treatment of inmates in Maricopa County facilities.[62]

In August 2001, Charles Agster, a 33-year-old mentally handicapped man, died in the county jail three days after being forced by sheriff's officers into a restraint chair used for controlling combative arrestees.

One major controversy includes the 1996 death of inmate Scott Norberg, a former Brigham Young University football wide receiver, who died while in custody of the Sheriff's office. After Norberg's corpse was discovered, detention officers accused Norberg of attacking them as they were trying to restrain him. The cause of his death, according to the Maricopa County medical examiner, was due to "positional asphyxia". Sheriff Arpaio investigated and subsequently cleared detention officers of any criminal wrongdoing.[69]

Richard Post was a paraplegic inmate arrested in 1996 for possession of marijuana and criminal trespass. Post was placed in a restraint chair by guards and his neck was broken in the process. The event, caught on video, shows guards smiling and laughing while Post is being injured

In 2009, the East Valley Tribune ran a series of articles that criticized the Maricopa County sheriff for a decline in normal police protection due to an increased focus towards arresting illegal immigrants.[82] The five-part series titled “Reasonable Doubt,” which received a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting, described "slow emergency response times and lax criminal enforcement." [83]

Arpaio's practices have been criticized by organizations such as Amnesty International,[62] the American Civil Liberties Union, the Arizona Ecumenical Council, the American Jewish Committee,[86] and the Arizona chapter of the Anti-Defamation League.[87] The editorial board of The New York Times called Arpaio "America's Worst Sheriff".[88]

So...there's that. Plus, there was no mention of the multi-hundred-thousand dollar bus that was needed for "prisoner transport" but has never been used for such. So there's abuse, there's fraud, AND there's coverup. He's a real Jack of all Trades.
    I hope you don't have to miss three squares and ever camp out. OMG, there may not be air conditioning...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

So hes makin em sleep in tents? eat Surplus food ?
    Oh noes thats just inhumane

At least they not gettin SHOT at, Poor babies

These other things you brot up are not only investigated By the SO but also the ASBI, and prolly the FBI .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

I wonder why you say older, white Americans are scared of immigrants? You didn't mention that most Americans(those with any gray matter) aren't happy with undocumented foreign nationals running around the country, as well as a great number with phony ID's. In your world, does one need to be older, conservative and white for those issues to concern you? haha

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

He's going after the low hanging fruit and biggest chunk of law breakers in his jurisdiction: illegal aliens. They account for 5-12% (wtf really knows?) of the population and 40+% of the crime here. In other words he's doing his job and it's lib pansy, vote whoring, race baiting, America apologists giving him a hard time about it.

vCash

Allow me to re-quote a particular passage from above in response to people who say "stop crying, at least you're not at war"

In October, 2008, a U.S. district court judge ruled that the grossly inadequate conditions at the Maricopa County Jail, overseen by Arpaio, are unconstitutional and jeopardize the health and safety of prisoners.

Secondly, I've never said that ALL older white people are scared of immigrants. The ones that vote for Joe are, however.

Thirdly, to Harry, the issue is that he pursues illegals with a focus and purpose so severe, that it impairs his ability to effectively do his job. This is evidenced by his insane rate of closure (in some periods up to 85%) of cases with no arrest or investigation. Does that sound appropriate to anyone? Are 85% of the things people bring to the sheriff's office unimportant or invalid?

vCash

Vet, he IS absolutely under investigation for all of these things, you are correct, which is precisely why he would never run for any other office outside of MCSO. He'd be subject then to some sort of oversight that he would not be able to control via threats of force, imprisonment, or other tenuously legal means.

vCash

Allow me to re-quote a particular passage from above in response to people who say "stop crying, at least you're not at war"

In October, 2008, a U.S. district court judge ruled that the grossly inadequate conditions at the Maricopa County Jail, overseen by Arpaio, are unconstitutional and jeopardize the health and safety of prisoners.

Then why isnt it shut down ?

Secondly, I've never said that ALL older white people are scared of immigrants. The ones that vote for Joe are, however.

Thirdly, to Harry, the issue is that he pursues illegals with a focus and purpose so severe, that it impairs his ability to effectively do his job. This is evidenced by his insane rate of closure (in some periods up to 85%) of cases with no arrest or investigation. Does that sound appropriate to anyone? Are 85% of the things people bring to the sheriff's office unimportant or invalid?
    Now I think yer just making shat up .

vCash

... I've never said that ALL older white people are scared of immigrants. The ones that vote for Joe are, however.
    Once again you lumped in illegals with legal immigrants. Why is that?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Now I think yer just making shat up .
    It's not shut down because who is going to enforce that ruling? This is the issue people have with Joe. He's supposed to be the law of the land, and it's more than a little tough to have a federal agency step in and take over for a state-level institution without bringing all sorts of Sic 'Ems out of the woodworks about states' rights.

As to the percentages, here's the quoted portion of the wiki that I didn't think I needed to include in my rant above:

In an interview on the ABC Nightline news program, when asked to explain why 82 percent of cases were declared cleared by exception, Arpaio said "We do clear a higher percentage of that. I know that. We clear many, many cases -- not 18 percent." Nightline contacted the MCSO after the interview and was told that of 7,346 crimes, only 944, or 15%, had been cleared by arrest.[51]

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Once again you lumped in illegals with legal immigrants. Why is that?
    Simply because I don't believe the fear to be limited to illegal immigrants. If you think differently, that's great. Is that your sense of the people that you know that think Joe is doing a great job? You feel that they value and love their legal immigrant neighbors but shake a mighty fist at those who skirt the law to be with their friends and relatives who arrived properly?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member delhalew's Avatar
    vCash

Next you're going to tell me these prisoners don't have cable television. Oh the humanity.

What you just demonstrated is that the Sheriff has had political war waged against him for a decade and all these liberal organizations with deep pockets have not been able to make any thing significant stick.

That says the sheriff is doing all lot of things right.
    "Once a country boy's seen the way the steam rises off a man's insides on the sidewalk Tends to change the way he thinks, the way he sees everything when he goes back to where he came from."

POSSE TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST. "It Fell Off the Back of a Truck."

vCash

Simply because I don't believe the fear to be limited to illegal immigrants. If you think differently, that's great. Is that your sense of the people that you know that think Joe is doing a great job? You feel that they value and love their legal immigrant neighbors but shake a mighty fist at those who skirt the law to be with their friends and relatives who arrived properly?
    yes, people approve of Joe's performance because it's not a racial thing, but a legal thing. The illegals are lawbreakers. The legals are not.

vCash

It's not shut down because who is going to enforce that ruling? This is the issue people have with Joe. He's supposed to be the law of the land, and it's more than a little tough to have a federal agency step in and take over for a state-level institution without bringing all sorts of Sic 'Ems out of the woodworks about states' rights.

[51]
    HMMM Guess ya never heard of the Feds taking over The Oklahoma Prisons back in the early 70s huh ?

They can and DO take over . So If a Fed Judge says they are breakin the Law he can and will shut em down

Now as for yer Wikki quotes .
    Well ya do know any one can post shat in that dont ya ?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    HMMM Guess ya never heard of the Feds taking over The Oklahoma Prisons back in the early 70s huh ?

They can and DO take over . So If a Fed Judge says they are breakin the Law he can and will shut em down

Now as for yer Wikki quotes .
    Well ya do know any one can post shat in that dont ya ?
    The one I posted was from NBC Nightline. I didn't do the investigation myself, and it may be wrong, but it'd be a major news network getting their facts wrong, not some schlub from a blog.

The early 70's was just a couple of years before my time. I didn't get here until 1978. I don't think we're far off from seeing Joe forcibly removed from office, however. I just wonder whether it'll be a shootout when the feds come to take his toys away.