Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

car battery trouble

I'm having trouble with the car I'm getting rid of semi-soon, but it needs a new alternator and battery. Car buddy is coming over later to help with the alternator but wants me to pull them out and get them tested at Autozone first.

Problem is I can't get the battery terminals loose. What is the right tool to get it loose. Pic below is of the negative terminal. What kind I use to get that nut off (heh)? A pic of the tool would be helpful.

man this thread has some gay undertones...

yes i know it is bad, lets glaze over that part, OK? I have tried every tool i have to get it loose and can't. I know it comes loose cause they had them off at the shop yesterday before hooking it back up and jumping it so i could get it home.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: car battery trouble

Mix a little baking soda with water and get an old toothbrush. Pour the soda over the terminal, and scrub it some with the brush. It should fizz some.

It looks like someone stripped the ridges off the head of the bolt. It also looks (although you can't tell from the pic) to be a 3/8 or maybe 7/16. If it's metric, it's somewhere between a 10mm and 13mm.

Get a deep socket of whichever size it is. See if you can get it on the bolt. Use a small hammer if you have to. Then ratchet it off.

Now before you go doing all that, you shouldn't have to remove either the alternator or the battery for testing. They can test it right in the vehicle.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Coke will work as well if you don't have any baking soda.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Mix a little baking soda with water and get an old toothbrush. Pour the soda over the terminal, and scrub it some with the brush. It should fizz some.

It looks like someone stripped the ridges off the head of the bolt. It also looks (although you can't tell from the pic) to be a 3/8 or maybe 7/16. If it's metric, it's somewhere between a 10mm and 13mm.

Get a deep socket of whichever size it is. See if you can get it on the bolt. Use a small hammer if you have to. Then ratchet it off.

Now before you go doing all that, you shouldn't have to remove either the alternator or the battery for testing. They can test it right in the vehicle.
    I tried banging on the smaller one, but it won't go. I'll clean it and try again.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Administrator
    vCash

Did you miss the part about not having to take them out for testing?

And I didn't say bang on the bolt, I said tap a deep socket onto the head of the bolt.

vCash

yeah, I heard you, i just don't have anyone around to jump it to get it up to Autozone to test it. If you can test it at home, i certainly don't have the tool currently to do that. I have a pretty reliable mechanic and they're the ones that told me the alternator and battery were bad. I was just taking it for testing to make sure. If i can't get the car there, i need to take the alternator there cause there are two different sizes they put in my year/model of car.

All clean now.

I didn't bang on the bolt, i tried tapping a one size smaller deep socket onto the head and it didn't work. I'll try it now that it's clean. Window guys are here putting in our last new window, so I'll have to take a break. Appreciate the help. I'll keep you updated.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Is it a foreign or domestic?

If it's foreign, you'll probably need a metric tool to get the connector off.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

vCash

it's a 1998 ford explorer sport

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

This is coming in late, but visegrips didn't work? It also might be easier if you remove the other end of the cable and take then entire thing out.

vCash

i may just wait until i can get somebody over here to try and jump it to take it to autozone, have them test it and get that bolt off if I can't. it's not wanting to let me get the smaller socket on there, and the correct size one just spins.

Administrator
    vCash

That looks like a square bolt. Try taking a flathead screwdriver and tapping it down in between the part of the cable end where it comes together (between the bolt and the terminal). It may loosen it enough so you can get a pair of pliers on it and twist it back and forth while you pull up on it.

You could also take some vise grips and grab the threaded end of the bolt and try loosening it from there. It will **** up the threads a little, but you really don't wanna use that bolt anymore anyhow.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Lott's Bandana View Post
    This is coming in late, but visegrips didn't work? It also might be easier if you remove the other end of the cable and take then entire thing out.
    not the pair i have. I need to get a better one anyways, so this might be in my future

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    That looks like a square bolt. Try taking a flathead screwdriver and tapping it down in between the part of the cable end where it comes together (between the bolt and the terminal). It may loosen it enough so you can get a pair of pliers on it and twist it back and forth while you pull up on it.

You could also take some vise grips and grab the threaded end of the bolt and try loosening it from there. It will **** up the threads a little, but you really don't wanna use that bolt anymore anyhow.
    okay i'll give that a shot here in a sec.

vCash

man this thing is being a total bitch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Lighter fluid and a match?

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Jeez Colley, open the hood and do little PM once and a while.
    posse member

vCash

And that helps me now how?

I know, I know. I hate this car and she knows I'm fixing to **** can her *** with our tax return.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Kids today

Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

vCash

Well, got it up to autozone, and both alternator and battery are bad. Headed to home depot to get a good pair of vice grips and try to get that bolt off.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

A little piece of advice. Dont let your battery get so yucky. It causes the alternator to work harder, ergo it burns out. The crap on the battery cables causes higher resistance to current flow.
    posse member