Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Team's not doin' much, so I'm going to start some sh

Controversy.

1) I'm starting to feel that Keith Gallon = Zach Randolph, pre 2009. Discuss.

And, if you don't know who Zach Randolph is, then it's okay. Let those of us who DO watch basketball played at its highest level explain him. Feel free to ask.

Cliffs Notes: Really, really offensively gifted power forward who is almost a guaranteed 20/10 guy every season, and shoots a high percentage as well... but is the ultimate loser. He's played for I've lost count of how many teams, in large part because he's all about his numbers, and REFUSES to play defense.

2) How many of you are starting to get nervous that an "I told you so" thread is coming from me in about four or five years...?

If you figure out what I (actually) mean by that, then sweet, you're an old-timer, and I may actually give a sh*t about what you have to say. Please, let's discuss this. I desperately wanted then to be wrong, but I didn't think that I was. Now I'm starting to really think I wasn't.

And, if that doesn't make sense to you, that's cool too. I've got the even MORE Cliffs Notes'ed version of this entire thread, ribbed for your pleasure:

-----

1) I think that we're a better team without Gallon.

2) I'm starting to think that in four or five years, I'll be dropping quite the "I told you so" on this board, in regards to the difference(s) between Kelvin and Capel. I really, really hope I'm wrong, but you have got to admit that, without Blake in the fold, he lost control of this team QUICK.

Try to limit your replys to the discussion at hand... Capel. This isn't about Kelvin... yet... This is about Capel and his seeming inability to coach or control this current group of players. Thanks. Mgmt.

Once again, discuss...

the_ouskull
    Last edited by the_ouskull; 1/3/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Re: Team's not doin' much, so I'm going to start some sh

One more log...

Willie Warren IS a statistical leader... and he's #12, too, wow.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/sortabl...dir=descending

Stop trying to make the big play Willie, and just make the smart one.

the_ouskull

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    1) I think that we're a better team without Gallon.
    I understand the Randolph comparison, and have thought similar things. Unfortunately, we don't really have anywhere to turn. If we're going to do anything this year (and from the looks of our recruiting, next year) we're going to have to have Gallon produce for us. You've said it many times yourself, Crocker isn't the answer down low, and neither is Wright if we want to win many meaningful games. You like Fitzgerald, and I like him to. That's just one big man, though, and he's not exactly a superstar regardless. So basically, without Gallon, we're essentially guaranteed to have the WORST big men in the entire conference. Our guards are average at best, so that's a recipe for disaster. We HAVE to have Gallon playing well if we want to do something this year, and seeing as we haven't signed a single big man for next year, we need him for next year.

I've also thought at times that we might be better without Willie, but if we didn't have Willie or Gallon, what would we have?

Also, is our big man recruiting as bad as it looks? It looks like we have a shot with Terrence Jones, but if that falls through we basically have the same people as this year minus Wright? Please say there are some good JUCOs.

vCash

Oh, and we miss Patillo more than we thought.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

I think the diff is that Gallon is a good dude while Randolph has always been a punk
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Comparing a freshman who just finished his first semester in college to a 28 year old is assenine.

vCash

Ignoring your spelling, I'm going to ask, since you only threw out an opinion without an explanation, why you feel the way that you do? Why is it an asinine comparison to make?

I am obviously already comparing college to pro basketball, so the age comparison - the one with which you seem to have the problem - is moot. What else was there, I mean, aside from the fact that they play very, very similar games, albeit on their respective levels; college and pro, that you disagreed with - aside from apparently needing a disclaimer where, for most posters, I would not have had to include one.

the_ouskull

vCash

When asked why he lost so much weight in his Senior year, Keith Gallon responded with something along the lines of "I didn't want to have to work hard when I got to college." I hoped he had misworded that, but have wondered about him ever since. I'm thinking he may not have misworded that.

vCash

I'm starting to worry that he's just good enough to be just dumb enough to get into trouble. Also, that he thinks he's (still) going to be able to get by on nothing but his size and his current skill level. If he thinks he's a one-and-done guy, I've got some bad news for him...

...he might be, but it won't have anything to do with his going pro; at least not in the NBA. He's not ready. He's too... Randolphian.

the_ouskull

vCash

He's too... Randolphian.

the_ouskull
    A poor man's Randolph. Randolph IS in the NBA, and making millions.

I am completely dumbfounded by this thread. This is a young basketball team, with a ton of talent. This team lost its leaders, and is relying on a sophomore to lead them, one who has not played college ball without one Blake Griffin on his team. I do agree that it seems Capel has lost control of this team to a degree, but in this case I do not think perception is reality. I still have faith in Capel and in this ball team. Do I think they are going to end up a top Big 12 team this year...no. Do I think they will in the next few years, a huge yes!

Capel will continue to grow as a Coach and his players will grow into a team...something they are struggling to be without the Griffin brothers.

As for the Sampson and Capel arguments. I was not blessed enough I guess to know what your awesome predictions are, but I believe Capel will take this program where it needs to be. The difference between the two is that Sampson had reached his potential, where Capel still has plenty of room to get better as a Coach, something I love about having him.
    As far as Gallon is concerned. He is a player who absolutely dominated everyone he played in highschool. He is a big kid who can play like a guard and he has yet to figure out how he fits in at this level. He is not too lazy to play defense, he just isn't sure where to be and when. I believe that w/ more work Tiny will be a big time player, one who learns how to win and win big! There is no way I would ever even considering comparing Gallon, who has played a handful of college games to Randolph, makes no sense to me.

And as for I told you so threads, if everyone posted one every time they were right, that is all we would have to read. What is that saying? Act like you have been there before. Please forgive any spelling/grammar errors, I hope any will not take away from what I mean...I would hate to get a smart *** reply for misspelling something.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

My opinion is too early to tell at game 13. I think we have too much youth and not enough interior depth. I think some of the youngsters are being thrown to the div 1 fire and were not ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    When asked why he lost so much weight in his Senior year, Keith Gallon responded with something along the lines of "I didn't want to have to work hard when I got to college." I hoped he had misworded that, but have wondered about him ever since. I'm thinking he may not have misworded that.
    I cannot speak for him but I think he meant he wouldnt have to work hard in college on losing weight, leaving him more time to work on other aspects of his game. I hope that is what he meant.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

I think Randolph is 10 times the talent of Tiny. I don't know that Tiny is chasing numbers as much as he just plays his way like in prep school and the hell with anyone changing him. If we had forfeited after the chocolate thunder incident I wouldn't have cared which really pains me because I love Sooner b-ball as much as anyone on this board.

Now to Capel: He is not a "fear of God" coach like Kelvin or even Coach K. He has lost this team--even if we get hot it will be because the guys choose to play not because of the fear of getting benched or (gasp?) being arm twisted to transfer.

My way would be to get about 4 bad asses from juco in kansas or mississippi for next year that would literally kick some *** to earn playing time. Throwing guys under the bus in media sessions only closes them off--doing it during 2 a days in Oct-Nov is the time for impact and to have a season that isn't lost by New Year's.
    Let me see your war face!!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Ignoring your spelling, I'm going to ask, since you only threw out an opinion without an explanation, why you feel the way that you do? Why is it an asinine comparison to make?

I am obviously already comparing college to pro basketball, so the age comparison - the one with which you seem to have the problem - is moot. What else was there, I mean, aside from the fact that they play very, very similar games, albeit on their respective levels; college and pro, that you disagreed with - aside from apparently needing a disclaimer where, for most posters, I would not have had to include one.

the_ouskull
    My problem is with you saying that Tiny is all about his numbers and refuses to play defense also implying that he doesn't hustle. Tiny leads the team in rebounding and by almost double the next player in offensive rebounding as well as blocks. That shows hustling and defense to me.

In the Utah game there was no one cheering their teammates on more on the bench than Tiny was so I don't believe at all that he's not a team player.

I have a problem with you implying that Tiny has a bad attitude and all about himself when the fact of the matter is that he's a freshman that is faaaaar from a finished product while Randolph has proven time and again to be a malcontent.

I believe that Tiny thought success was going to come a lot quicker than it has and he had a frustrating game....a freshman showing frustration and immaturity, wow that's never happened before, he's definitely a malcontent who's all about his own stats

Just like football fans got spoiled with Sam Bradford and now expect every freshman to play like he did, OU bball fans have gotten spoiled with BG and think that every freshman should have the maturity that he did. This team is full of talent that just needs time to gel. Rather than putting them on the **** list, let's support this team through Big XII play because while this could be a tough season, I truly think next year and the year after that this is going to be a team that goes deep into the tournament and we'll be marveling at how far these kids have come, they just need to learn the game and gain some maturity.

P.S. Tommy Mason-Griffin is playing out of his mind(assist to turnover ration of over 2:1!) and will be a 4 year player that Big XII fans are going to be wondering when he's going to be leaving in the coming years.

vCash

Can we give this a season guys.........geez

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner4FCD View Post
    My problem is with you saying that Tiny is all about his numbers and refuses to play defense also implying that he doesn't hustle. Tiny leads the team in rebounding and by almost double the next player in offensive rebounding as well as blocks. That shows hustling and defense to me.

And my problem with you is that you refuse to see the forest for the trees. Your stats aren't comparing Tiny to other players on other teams, you're comparing him to OUR team, talking about his leading the team in rebounding and blocks. First of all, he's a good four inches taller than the majority of the players he's been on the court with at the same time, playing the five to the 6'5" Crocker's four. SOMEONE has to get the rebounds... And, considering he, a 6'9" McDAA, is only averaging 1.5 more boards per game than Crocker and only .23 more blocks than him as well... well, his "accomplishments" aren't quite as impressive when you list them like that.

He also "leads the team" in total fouls, (40) foul-outs, (2) and has almost twice as many turnovers (23) as assists (12) so far. Ya left THOSE out, didn't you?

The fouls are the result of being either out of position on a play, or too lazy to move his feet and play good defense, choosing instead to run with the "Ole" and swipe method. But I could be wrong. I mean, stats aren't everything, right? I mean, sure, they're YOUR whole argument, but... ah, screw it.

In the Utah game there was no one cheering their teammates on more on the bench than Tiny was so I don't believe at all that he's not a team player.

was constantly pouting when he didn’t receive the ball, and was made his displeasure clear to his teammates vocally.
    Gallon struggles to get up and down the floor due to his terrible conditioning, and therefore will at times spend entire possessions back on the defensive end just to conserve any energy he can. He looks a bit lazy out on the floor and plays absolutely no defense as you can probably imagine.
    Gallon’s effort really wavered from day to day, often looking very disinterested in the proceedings. He obviously has a very easy-going personality and clearly came to enjoy himself here, which is understandable considering the vacation-like atmosphere, but you would have liked to see him be a little more serious at times. He complained a lot, demonstrated terrible shot-selection, dribbled the ball excessively and forced a lot of very difficult, contested fade-away jumpers, which really took away from his main strengths.
    These are all quotes from NBA draft sites. I don't know how YOU feel about his effort, but that's how the people that get PAID to evaluate players feel. Also, Google "Tiny Gallon defense" sometime and just read the first page. Spooky.

I have a problem with you implying that Tiny has a bad attitude and all about himself when the fact of the matter is that he's a freshman that is faaaaar from a finished product while Randolph has proven time and again to be a malcontent.

Once again, it's not like this is the first time he's 1) been accused of it, 2) SHOWN it, and 3) yet to fix it. One of the quote I left out earlier wondered whether or not he'd stop working as hard (as he had to lose all of that weight) once he "made it," or began starting in college. Hmmm...

I believe that Tiny thought success was going to come a lot quicker than it has and he had a frustrating game....a freshman showing frustration and immaturity, wow that's never happened before, he's definitely a malcontent who's all about his own stats

It's not just one game. Quit being facetious.

Just like football fans got spoiled with Sam Bradford and now expect every freshman to play like he did, OU bball fans have gotten spoiled with BG and think that every freshman should have the maturity that he did. This team is full of talent that just needs time to gel. Rather than putting them on the **** list, let's support this team through Big XII play because while this could be a tough season, I truly think next year and the year after that this is going to be a team that goes deep into the tournament and we'll be marveling at how far these kids have come, they just need to learn the game and gain some maturity.

Expectations, especially at the basketball school we want OU to be, are going to be higher for players hitting the court with that many stars beside their name. Period. It's part of it. I support my team, no matter what, and I cheer. But ignoring coaches, refusing to run back in transition (this isn't high school anymore, Keith), refusing to body up the opposing team's big, and playing lackadaisical at best defense isn't what I am going to cheer for. Sorry to disappoint you... but at least you got an apology from me. Think Keith will give you one...?

P.S. Tommy Mason-Griffin is playing out of his mind(assist to turnover ration of over 2:1!) and will be a 4 year player that Big XII fans are going to be wondering when he's going to be leaving in the coming years.

Cool. Why the f*ck does that matter in a discussion about Gallon?
    the_ouskull

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Go Sooners!

vCash

You are all a bunch of Chicken Littles.
    1. Tiny: He has gotten by on being big his whole life and has never had to work hard. Give him a year or two before you pass judgement.
    2. Capel: He will either be a great coach here, or somewhere else.
    3. If you are willing to start an "I told you so thread, I hope you are also willing to start an "I was dead wrong" thread.
    4. This team needs one signature win this season to know what they are capable of, and to understand the work it takes to be that good.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by starrca23 View Post
    3. If you are willing to start an "I told you so thread, I hope you are also willing to start an "I was dead wrong" thread.
    I'm still looking for his "I was dead wrong" thread about when he disagreed when I said Oden couldn't hold BG's jock. I said this just before Blake's sophomore season. I'm still waiting.