Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

State agencies facing another budget cut, any of you

going to be effected by this?

State revenue is down 28% from the projections. We are about to be seriously effected by the cuts that keep coming.

Good luck to anyone on the wrong end of this.
    I taste terrific.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUMallen's Avatar
    vCash

Re: State agencies facing another budget cut, any of you

The Oklahoma School of Science and MAth is being affect...which sucks in general, but further sucks because two years ago the school was the ONLY state agency that received a cut!

Hard times.
    Olevet Posse Bail Bondsman

"I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right"
    - Chick Corea

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

As someone that's lived outside of Oklahoma since 1994 -- what's up with the rainy day fund?

Is that still around? Are we using it? Did we spend it already?

It should have been topped off very nicely a couple of years ago when petro prices were through the roof.

Anybody got anything?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

The Rainy Day Fund is at it's constitutional limit of $600M. The Legislature and the governor both have to sign off on tapping it, however the Legislature is not in session until February. There may be a special session in January, however $600M won't even begin to be enough to cover the deficits. We're looking at a $1B shortfall right now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten View Post
    The Rainy Day Fund is at it's constitutional limit of $600M. The Legislature and the governor both have to sign off on tapping it, however the Legislature is not in session until February. There may be a special session in January, however $600M won't even begin to be enough to cover the deficits. We're looking at a $1B shortfall right now.
    A couple more questions if you don't mind --

Is the $1bn shortfall for 2009, or for 2010? Or does OK have a fiscal year budget?

And more to the point, if the $1b shortfall is for 09, isn't that water under the bridge? It's Dec 18.

If it's for 2010, does that mean that the pencil pushers are predicting a $1bn cut in spending levels over 2009? If so, they could be wrong. Obama keeps telling us the recession is over, right?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

OK has a fiscal year budget. July through June. We are currently in FY 2010.

vCash

Tulsa's new Mayor (?) is going to hack away at the FOP. Called out for the Sheriff's Dept to help cover some areas that the FOP won't be able to get to.

I guess losing the Horses wasn't enough anyway...

Lots of Policemen and Policewomen are going to lose their jobs it seems.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Tulsa's new Mayor (?) is going to hack away at the FOP. Called out for the Sheriff's Dept to help cover some areas that the FOP won't be able to get to.

I guess losing the Horses wasn't enough anyway...

Lots of Policemen and Policewomen are going to lose their jobs it seems.
    And Firemen. And staff within all areas of the City. When the vast majority of your budget is police and fire salaries, that's about the only choice when you've had to have reductions to the extent that we have.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Just FWIW, and perhaps to inspire further discussion, these various entities like schools, law enforcement and fire which are apparently under-resourced, seem to have one thing in common; the ratio of adminstrative personnel to classroom teacher, beat cop and firehouse firefighter seems as though it may be way out of whack.

Put another way, I've heard it stated repeatedly, in print and by broadcast media, the ratio of school admin types to classroom teachers is 1:1. I don't know what it is for cops and fire, but I bet it's close.

Now, might one way out of this predicklement be to either cut back on admin types, or at least require them to take some kind of pay cut, while leaving the folks at the tip of the spear alone? I know, contracts and all that stuff. But nevertheless, I'd rather see that sort of thing than cutting first-line folks.

What say you?

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Condescending Sooner View Post
    OK has a fiscal year budget. July through June. We are currently in FY 2010.
    Yes. And that budget was based on projected monthly revenue (tax collections, etc.). The key word there is projected.

Before the fiscal year even began, lawmakers knew thought they would have about $600M less to work with as compared to the FY09 budget. So almost all state agencies were ordered to cut their budgets by 7.5 percent. Most agencies were able to absorb that through cutting back operating expenses, hiring freezes, eliminating overtime, thing like that.

But then the actual revenue started coming in, and it was much lower than expected. So the Legislature told agencies to trim an additional 5 percent from their budgets. That's when we could start to see it and feel it. Salaries represent around 90 percent of most agency's budgets. You can't cut 12.5 percent without dipping into your human costs.

Then this week the really bad news hit, one of the worse Novembers in the state's history in terms of collections. Additional cuts of 10 percent were ordered for December and January. That means agencies are operating with more than 17 percent less money than last year, and that means people are going to lose their jobs. With no signs of the situation getting better, there is talk that the additional cuts will be annualized, meaning even steeper cuts in February and March. This is where the $1B contraction figure comes in, and remember that figure represents about 1/7th of the state's entire budget. Lawmakers from both parties are throwing the term "Great Depression" around.

We haven't even begun to talk about FY2011 yet, except for the fact that the Stimulus money, which has filled some of the holes this year will then be gone.

vCash

Oh and before somebody else does it...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    Just FWIW, and perhaps to inspire further discussion, these various entities like schools, law enforcement and fire which are apparently under-resourced, seem to have one thing in common; the ratio of adminstrative personnel to classroom teacher, beat cop and firehouse firefighter seems as though it may be way out of whack.

Put another way, I've heard it stated repeatedly, in print and by broadcast media, the ratio of school admin types to classroom teachers is 1:1. I don't know what it is for cops and fire, but I bet it's close.

Now, might one way out of this predicklement be to either cut back on admin types, or at least require them to take some kind of pay cut, while leaving the folks at the tip of the spear alone? I know, contracts and all that stuff. But nevertheless, I'd rather see that sort of thing than cutting first-line folks.

What say you?

I say, what is happening now is nothing compared to what is about to happen in relation to underfunded and broke public pensions, possible default by States such as California, New York, Meatchicken, etc.

And what is already happening with the Dollars collapsing, China is beginning to stop buying our Debt, we risk losing are AAA bond rating, and our national debt is quadruple what it was a year ago.

The porkulus has been the absolute most expensive fail in American history, the States are going broke and jobs are continuing to be lost, and our Dear Leader is in Denmark trying to give more money we don't have away to fighting something we cannot control or may not even exist.

2010 is not going to be a good year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten View Post
    Then this week the really bad news hit, one of the worse Novembers in the state's history in terms of collections.
    Its figures like this that tell you that BLS unemployment numbers are basically hogwash.

If the economy were improving, sales taxes would be going up, not collapsing during the biggest shopping season of the year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oklahoma’s budget has country’s biggest deficit
    BY RANDY KREHBIEL - Tulsa World
    Only a few months removed from being declared "recession-proof” by national media, Oklahoma faces the largest state budget deficit in the nation, according to a report given by the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The conference’s November update of state budgets says Oklahoma’s 18.5 percent shortfall for the current fiscal year edges out Arizona’s 18 percent, with Illinois, at 16.5 percent, in third.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Onlyaf274401
    Last edited by SanJoaquinSooner; 12/20/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Ingles solamente (ˇno exepciones!)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MR2-Sooner86's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    Oklahoma’s budget has country’s biggest deficit
    BY RANDY KREHBIEL - Tulsa World
    Only a few months removed from being declared "recession-proof” by national media, Oklahoma faces the largest state budget deficit in the nation, according to a report given by the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The conference’s November update of state budgets says Oklahoma’s 18.5 percent shortfall for the current fiscal year edges out Arizona’s 18 percent, with Illinois, at 16.5 percent, in third.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Onlyaf274401
    WE'RE #1!!!!!
    Loved By The People
    "you are a disgusting pig and should be punished for such vile language. Would you like your mom to see that you wrote that? YOU=Disgusting pig."
    "you lack any semblance of taste and suggest substandard upbringing and education"
    "Guess what? You're a ****ing dildo!"
    "You're an asshat!"
    "racist pig by any chance?"

vCash

Yikes.

Early projections for next year's (2011) budget were announced today. An additional billion dollars less than this year. Things are gonna get ugly.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

Good times.

I heard today that 26 high schools have reported that they don't have the revenue to finish the year.

I don't think some people fully realize how bad it's about to get. We are looking at losing nearly 1/4 of our workforce. That's a lot of Oklahomans out of work folks.
    I taste terrific.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

That's crazy. I think we spent more the past couple months than I have in any other holiday season since being in OK. Crazy...
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

A big part of the problem is that the geniuses in the legislature cut taxes a couple of years ago when we had a surplus. They cut auto inspection fees, and other things. They didn't replace the revenue for the most part. They did try to shift some of it to gross production taxes, but when the industry took a nose dive, so did revenue.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Condescending Sooner View Post
    A big part of the problem is that the geniuses in the legislature cut taxes a couple of years ago when we had a surplus. They cut auto inspection fees, and other things. They didn't replace the revenue for the most part. They did try to shift some of it to gross production taxes, but when the industry took a nose dive, so did revenue.
    Turn in your Republican card right now. Can't be havin anyone wanting higher taxes.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders