Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameron Newton

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Cameron Newton

Sam also sat quietly on the bench after his "interception" (AKA "prefectly thrown pass bobbled by Iglesias"). He had his quiet moments, too.

Sam never had a bad group to work with, as evident by the 12 TD-making TE Gresham, the three-headed monster at RB in 2007 and the veteran, mammoth OL that even a 6'5 QB could barely see over or around.

I just don't see what is so damn difficult for people to realize it's not time to jump off a cliff. When you lose the players we lost, you expect a drastic dropoff in productivity.

Game-changing TE makes it easier on the WR corps, Heisman winner has enough know-how to get you out of a tough spot, going at least two games without losing an OL to injury makes for some kind of consistency, some kind of identity we never found.

WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? The all-time winningest QB in CFB barely got past Nebraska's defense. He was playing behind a veteran OL, throwing to the best and most-experienced Texas has to offer. Meanwhile what is literally OUr scout team struggles against those same Nebbish guys IN LINCOLN and we're putting pistols to our mouths?

Ever think "it is what it is?" I mean... losing the best QB in school history isn't supposed to sting? Losing a once-a-generation threat at TE doesn't change things, we're just supposed to keep putting up 60 ppg? Really?

I welcome Newton if Stoops wants him and believes his dark days are past him. It's interesting to see us going after a guy known for scrambling around. But I know exactly why Cam's coming in. He's the best we can get to shor up OUr depth issues at QB with Sam leaving. Same reason we took Balogun and Bryant after Lofton left early. Same reason we wanted David Sims (who never worked out) to step in at DB for Reggie Smith leaving early. Same reason we went after Cam Kenney in light of losing 3 senior receivers and losing Stradford in 2008. Halzle didn't come in top take Bomar's spot, he came to take PT's spot. As in, guy who competes, has a chance to unseat the starter, but is really there to give us another guy. Sure, sometimes a Heupel is targeted to BE the starter, and ANYTHING is better than the 90's results, so any guy who wants to come in is welcome... but more often than not, these guys are coming in to provide depth and keep competition sharp. Cameron is flashy and no doubt an excitable runner, but one bad twist of his knee and the Sooner fan Chicken Littles are back on suicide watch.

"WHY, OH WHY DID WE RUN OUR QB!?!? WHAT WERE WE THINKING!?!"
    "This is all [insert name of choice here]'s fault!!!1111!!1"
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Exactly...I mean....

Dude, this is a great post. I already pointed out that Jones' numbers stacked up with the best QBs in the Big 12. As with those guys, Locker is an upperclassman. As a freshman, Jones put up number equal to solid upperclassmen from around the country and people here want him gone. Sad.

I think Stoops is losing it. He's already lost it as far as being able to prepare the team for big games. I think his recruiting of of a JUCO quarterback when he already has a solid one he knows can do the job, another highly-touted one on the bench, and another to sign in February just shows he may be desparate to the point of second-guessing himself about his own recruiting. And, that's worrisome to me.

All Stoops really needs to do is pull his head out of his backside and run the team better:

(1) Quit letting the strength and conditioning coach run off offensive linemen.

(2) Send Kevin Wilson somewhere to learn something other than bubble screens.

(3) In future blowouts, start putting in younger players in the third, or even the second, quarter the way Barry Switzer used to do - and the way coaches like Nick Saban and <sigh> Mack Brown do these days. Prepare for these kids for the future. Having them run a bunch of give up plays midway through the fourth quarter of blowouts isn't doing the job.

(4) Stop being afraid to fire coaches. Mack Brown didn't start beating us until he replaced his offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. Virginia Tech has had many coaches for many years. Fine. But, how many championships do they have to show for Beamer's loyalty to his coaching staff?

Hooray for Frank Beamer, he's a loyal guy, as Bob seems to be...and Mack used to be. But, at what point does loyalty lull into complacency? I'd say we may be at that point.

Hey, if we want to be a team that wins 8-10 games a year and is "almost there" every year...well, then, by all means never fire a coach. Virginia Tech's fans seem happy with perpetual "almost there." I wonder how long our fanbase will accept it.
    WELL... there you go again...

How dare you make sense!!

On this site no less!

BLASPHEMY I TELL YOU!!!!

Now.. go vote for a librul as punishment.

In Pacem Requiescat --- October 5, 2003 - October 18, 2010.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 adoniijahsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by goingoneight View Post
    Sam also sat quietly on the bench after his "interception" (AKA "prefectly thrown pass bobbled by Iglesias"). He had his quiet moments, too.

Sam never had a bad group to work with, as evident by the 12 TD-making TE Gresham, the three-headed monster at RB in 2007 and the veteran, mammoth OL that even a 6'5 QB could barely see over or around.

I just don't see what is so damn difficult for people to realize it's not time to jump off a cliff. When you lose the players we lost, you expect a drastic dropoff in productivity.

Game-changing TE makes it easier on the WR corps, Heisman winner has enough know-how to get you out of a tough spot, going at least two games without losing an OL to injury makes for some kind of consistency, some kind of identity we never found.

WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? The all-time winningest QB in CFB barely got past Nebraska's defense. He was playing behind a veteran OL, throwing to the best and most-experienced Texas has to offer. Meanwhile what is literally OUr scout team struggles against those same Nebbish guys IN LINCOLN and we're putting pistols to our mouths?

Ever think "it is what it is?" I mean... losing the best QB in school history isn't supposed to sting? Losing a once-a-generation threat at TE doesn't change things, we're just supposed to keep putting up 60 ppg? Really?

I welcome Newton if Stoops wants him and believes his dark days are past him. It's interesting to see us going after a guy known for scrambling around. But I know exactly why Cam's coming in. He's the best we can get to shor up OUr depth issues at QB with Sam leaving. Same reason we took Balogun and Bryant after Lofton left early. Same reason we wanted David Sims (who never worked out) to step in at DB for Reggie Smith leaving early. Same reason we went after Cam Kenney in light of losing 3 senior receivers and losing Stradford in 2008. Halzle didn't come in top take Bomar's spot, he came to take PT's spot. As in, guy who competes, has a chance to unseat the starter, but is really there to give us another guy. Sure, sometimes a Heupel is targeted to BE the starter, and ANYTHING is better than the 90's results, so any guy who wants to come in is welcome... but more often than not, these guys are coming in to provide depth and keep competition sharp. Cameron is flashy and no doubt an excitable runner, but one bad twist of his knee and the Sooner fan Chicken Littles are back on suicide watch.

"WHY, OH WHY DID WE RUN OUR QB!?!? WHAT WERE WE THINKING!?!"
    "This is all [insert name of choice here]'s fault!!!1111!!1"
    Name on post where i have a gun to my mouth. Name one post in this thread where I say that Landry sucks. Name one post where I say the sky is falling.

I sad that with Landry at the helm, we will go 10-2 to 12-0 next year, but if Newton comes I think he will be the qb next year. What is wrong with that? Why are you guys trying to make everyone see how beautiful Landry Jones qb play is? What's worse is that you are lowering the accomplishments of 2 guys who have their names written in sooner lore 4-ever. "Just give Landry another chance, please? He will show all of you how wonderful he truly is. He will grow the Stache again, and then we can pull out our t-shirts and lay back as he takes us on another mustache ride!! BOOMER SOONER!!"

Just relax, it will all play out in the next week.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

there should be competition at every position. i don't think landry is scared of being tested. if he is, then that is a different issue.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TXBOOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rawlingsHOH View Post
    I'd say other than Landry's friends and family, no one cares who the starter is, as long as it is the BEST guy for the job.

What I'm here to do is bring a rational opinion on Landry's freshman season. Put the pitchforks down and ADMIT he had better numbers than freaking Heupel in the national championship season.

That is all!

LOL. The only numbers that matter are wins and losses. His numbers are absolutely not better than Heupel's NC season.
    BOOMER SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 gaylordfan1's Avatar
    vCash

Wow, there seems to be some peeps that have gotten their feelings hurt. To think that any player on this team will have a position handed to them would be crazy. We will have a shoot out between the QB's, and between the RB's, and between the WR's,and between the CB's,... the list goes on and on until we have a list of 22 starters. And even then the squad will be changed due to performance or formantions or even (God forbid) injuries. We will just have to wait and see who signs and who steps up next year. I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to see how the Crimson shows up to indroduce the SOONER nation to the Cardinal!
    People say you will regret your tattoos when you get old and wrinkly, but will that be your #1 regret when they are changing your diaper in a nursing home?

*POSSE, ENOUGH SAID!*

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 gaylordfan1's Avatar
    vCash

For what it's worth I hope Newton signs. But, I think Landry makes some positive stids this off-season. The position is his if he progresses and can improve his leadership skills. And just because Landry doesn't cry or bash his WR for not making a play after and INT doesn't mean he doesn't care, maybe he is just trying to stay positive and collected!
    People say you will regret your tattoos when you get old and wrinkly, but will that be your #1 regret when they are changing your diaper in a nursing home?

*POSSE, ENOUGH SAID!*

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TXBOOMER View Post
    LOL. The only numbers that matter are wins and losses. His numbers are absolutely not better than Heupel's NC season.
    LOL. Great analysis.

You may have just declared Colt McCoy the greatest quarterback of all time. By the numbers, of course.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by westbrooke View Post
    You may have just declared Colt McCoy the greatest quarterback of all time. By the numbers, of course.
    We are comparing a (one, singular) Sooner season. Pony boy is the QB at texass. As far as I know he hasn't won a NC this year. I'd take Josh over McCoy just like I'd take Josh over Landry any day of the week. Josh was a GD Ice Man under pressure.
    BOOMER SOONER!

No offense intended. Just pointing out a logical consequence of the argument you were making.

I, too, would take Josh over either Landry or Colt, but there's no logical reason why the metric you offered shouldn't extend to a career, or to quarterbacks of other teams for that matter. I think most reasonable observers will agree that the sum of a quarterback's worth accounts for both record and statistical output. Otherwise you end up with an argument that says Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino. Or, gasp, Tim Tebow over Sam Bradford. And I know no one here believes that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Originally Posted by TXBOOMER
    The QB position is important, but giving all the credit (and blame) for the teams record is going too far. Tebow's team lost 4 the year he won the Heisman because the gators were rebuilding on defense. Not saying the Heisman voters are brillant, but at least they could figure out what happened.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The QB position is important, but giving all the credit (and blame) for the teams record is going too far. Tebow's team lost 4 the year he won the Heisman because the gators were rebuilding on defense. Not saying the Heisman voters are brillant, but at least they could figure out what happened.
    I agree, saying a qb is only as good as his won loss record is a bit much.
    A) it shows no respect for what the entire rest of the team does to gain/lose a win.
    B) places all the blame on one person, which is ridiculous.
    The qb is one of 22 guys that start. He might be the most important, but really it is a insulting to the rest of the team to give all the praise/blame to one person.

Heck why don't we just quit playing football games and have 85000 people show up to watch a qb skills competition. Then the won loss record would actually reflect who is the better qb.
    What are the only two words in the english dictionary that are better together than free beer?

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA

vCash

My boy Rawlings original post referenced LJ had better numbers than Josh in his NC season. He was being funny and I was giving him crap being funny back. I don't think Rawlings really believes LJ > JH. My obvious point was Josh had him in the numbers that count which was wins that NC season because we ended up with a NC. If you guys are getting paid to analyze a couple of quick comments on college football chat board your employer needs to put you on a performance improvement plan.
    BOOMER SOONER!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

If you guys are getting paid to analyze a couple of quick comments on college football chat board your employer needs to put you on a performance improvement plan.
    you GOT PIP'ed!!

It's a Sunday, and the alternative is Christmas shopping.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by westbrooke View Post
    It's a Sunday, and the alternative is Christmas shopping.
    LOL....I'm right there with you on that.
    BOOMER SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 adoniijahsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quarterback Cameron Newton gives Auburn high marks
    By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News
    December 20, 2009, 12:10PM

Cameron Newton
    The No. 1 junior college football player in the nation left Auburn on Sunday morning with a favorable report on the Tigers.

Quarterback Cameron Newton said he liked what he heard from Auburn coaches during his three-day weekend visit. Newton, who can enroll in a four-year college in January, said he'll decide on his future soon. It's down to Auburn, Oklahoma and Mississippi State. Newton has two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-6, 245-pounder who spent two years at the University of Florida was impressive in looks, and in demeanor, said our friends at Inside the Auburn Tigers and AuburnSports.com and AuburnUndercover.com. They have lots of quotes, so check them out. We heard the interview and Newton seemed impressed with his visit. Rivals says he's the top junior college player.

"I'm on Cloud Nine,'' Newton said.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

Hmmm. So which is better: "Cloud Nine" or "Crunked up" ??

Sooner Benchwarmer misplacedsooner's Avatar
    vCash

wish he would make up his mind. im sure at the other 2 schools he has been promised to start day 1. here he knows he will have to battle and win the job. now we will see how confident the kid is in his skills.