Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Let's talk Iverson, guys...

whachu know bout practice JLEW?
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

Whachu know bout drankin some beer tomorrow Jlew?!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

me thirsty.. very thirsty

vCash

Me too, maybe ill join you

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

yup, I'll be around!

vCash

No Sh*t sherlock, you must be drunk already, lol

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

haha, bout to head to McAlester

should be in Norman by high noon

start sipping about 1

vCash

Deans BBQ was pretty damn good

I'll see how his fajitas are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jlew1818 View Post
    haha, bout to head to McAlester

should be in Norman by high noon

start sipping about 1
    Ill be up there around 12 or 1, either call me or stop by

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

So the 76ers are 3-4 with Iverson (obviously not counting games after he signed that he missed due to injury), they are 6-18 without him. He has been playing under control and avg 16.7ppg and 4.1 ast in 33.6 mpg while committing only 2.1 turnovers per game.

Now if you remember Skull, in the preseason I said that if he found a team he would improve them, while just a small sample size, would you agree so far that he is doing what is needed of him and not trying to do it all as his reputation would say?

~ Ivan Maisel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

No.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    No.

the_ouskull
    Shortest skull reply ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

vCash

he just hates it that AI is doing a good job so far

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

I wouldn't QUITE say "good job" yet...

One, he's old, so no matter how well he plays, there's the question of whether or not he's going to be able to hold up. It starts with the nagging injuries that have you playing for three games, then sitting for two, then playing for four, then sitting for seven, etc... and, because of his frame and style of play for all of those years, we're seeing him have a great deal of difficulty adjusting to "his new body" now. It's taken him almost two seasons, granted across four teams (but that's also his fault; I mean, Rodney Dangerfield had a more believable broken arm than Iverson did a "hurt back" his last year in Detroit) to get anywhere near the level at which he was playing when he first left Philly for Denver.

But, a few problems that I'm still seeing...

- As his FGA's go up, his percentage goes down. He was shooting 57.7% on 8.7 shots per game in Memphis. Then he gets to Philly, makes himself the number one option again, and starts shooting 44.2% on 12.3 shots per game. Also, consider that he's only shooting 47% at the rim, 20% on shots inside of 10', and 31% on shots from 10-15'. (This isn't as big a deal since he's currently getting to the line 3x a game more than he was for Memphis, but over the course of the season, when his old *ss stops trying to get to the basket as much, look out. Also, his percentage around the rim is another example of his deteriorating physical skills...)

- Although it has also improved since Memphis, his TOR (turnover ratio - the percentage of his possessions that end in a turnover) isn't anything, you know, good, especially for a player of his ability. 9.93 isn't great. Almost 10% of his possessions end in turnovers.

BUT...

- His outside shooting has improved.

It's still far from great, but, at least in his short time in Philly, so far, he is a much-improved shooter from the outside. On shots from 16-23', he's currently shooting 53%, and from behind the arc, he's shooting 40,0% - but don't get too twitterpated. It's not a large sample size on that last one... (2 of 5)

- His percentage of assisted baskets is as high as it's ever been for him, meaning two things, 1) he's relying on his teammates more than in the past, 2) because he likely HAS to. He's currently being assisted on 39.5% of his baskets, which probably explains the increase in his outside shooting percentage.

Ultimately, his AWS (adjusted win score) still isn't very good (he's good for roughly 4.5 wins over the course of a season right now - for comparison's sake, Lebron currently leads the league in that stat with an AWS of 11.35) and his PER (player efficiency rating) of 17.25 places him in the ranks of players like Leandro Barbosa, Mo Williams, Monta Ellis, and (this year's version of) Tony Parker than it does the elite class of players, he's still above the league average - set at 15 every season.

For the record, currently, only two players in the NBA are sitting RIGHT ON the league average of 15, indicating that they are, all-around, the most average players in the league... Andre Miller and Tim Thomas. That'll also give you an idea of the drop-off between 17.25 and 15.00.

Also, according to both PER and aPER, Iverson is no better than the fourth best player on his own team.

But, all of that considered, he's playing better in Philly right now than I thought him capable. But, we're not that many games in, and he's old. Give the stats time to balance out a bit.

the_ouskull

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

all I needed to hear

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

What did I say?

the_ouskull

vCash

you said more or less that he has done better than you thought he would

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Philly now 6-7 with AI, 6-18 without...that cant be denied

~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Easier stretch of schedule, more home games... healthier posts, too. Brand is rounding back into form. (Check his splits... he hadn't been. Also, check his stats in wins vs. losses. Now check A.I.'s. Look at FG% and assists.)

I hate having to dig this deep.

the_ouskull