Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I think there may be more to this story...

Bob Stoops On Tress Way place kicking:
    "I just don't feel that Jimmy (Stevens) has been consistent as he needs to be. Tress has showed me enough in practice that he is much better than he was a year ago and he's been more consistent. He deserves the opportunity and we will see how he handles it."

Jimmy Stevens is second in the Big XII for FG Pct (11/13) and PAT kicks made (21/22)....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I think there may be more to this story...

Tress Way is a better kicker name. What other possible reason could there be?

Yeah, something else is going on, as those are sick stats.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Ok, he's got good numbers. But don't you always fear the worst when you see him trotting out there? Seems like too many of his kicks involve an upright. We'll see how Way does...
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by No1Better View Post
    Bob Stoops On Tress Way place kicking:
    "I just don't feel that Jimmy (Stevens) has been consistent as he needs to be. Tress has showed me enough in practice that he is much better than he was a year ago and he's been more consistent. He deserves the opportunity and we will see how he handles it."

Jimmy Stevens is second in the Big XII for FG Pct (11/13) and PAT kicks made (21/22)....

I wouldn't doubt it.

On a side note, I think Way had his worst game as a punter last week. He seemed to mis**** a few balls. Though his overall average was only 3 yards under his season's.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

the 11/13 is more deceptive than it appears.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It would be 10 of 13 if his first kick at the Cotton had bounced the other way off the upright.

Just think about that for a second.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Tress Way is a better kicker name. What other possible reason could there be?
    Yeah, it's why they replaced Heupel with Hybl instead of Jason White. I mean... how perfect is it? HYBL sounds like HEUPEL! It's like we have a virtual clone of a Heisman-runner-up quarterback as Heupel's successor! Plus, if you sneeze when you say "Heupel," what does it sound like?

That's right - Aaaa-cho!

But, if you were really clever, you could actually be saying "HYBL!"

And, if you're an idiot about OU football, you probably misprounced it as "High Bell" just to make it sound more like "High Pell," didn't you?

I spent entirely too many words on that joke. It's not even funny anymore. Long post short, I am happy for Tress Way, but it indeed curious.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

I bet that FG that Stevens MISSED at the Cotton Bowl (and consequently we lost by 3 points) may have held a lot of weight in this decision. Plus the other that bounced in wasn't pretty. Would Tress have looked better? I have no clue, but I think Bob may have been angry about the average kicking for as hard as the team played. Stevens made one, missed one, and had one bounce in. Shaky at best. I won't pretend to know who is the best kicker on the team, but those are things that may have gone through Bob's mind.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

vCash

who did they bring in for the game winner at the end of the BYU game?

Stevens is 11/13 because they have only kicked short FGs for the most part

i hate to bag on the kid, but he hasn't really been getting the job done with any kind of distance involved

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I am not sure who told me this story, but this how I was told that a certain surfer-lookalike got his start at OU... and got his redshirt pulled near the end of the season.

Trey DiCarlo was a solid kicker for much of his career, but his consistency was starting to get inconsistent. Then, during a road Baylor game, I think it was the Sugar Bowl season, he was given an ultimatum: Make this kick or never kick again.

It was a meaningless kick for a game we were sure to win (this was not the Brett Romar year and there was no VY clone in the backfield), but quite meaningful for Trey.

He missed the kick. Some new guy named Garrett Hartley kicked the rest of the game.

When Trey went to the sidelines after that kick, he starred silently at the practice net, knowing that he would never take the field for OU ever again.

I am not sure if this story is true, but that is the last time Trey kicked for us and the game Garrett got his redshirt yanked. If true, I wonder if Stoops would ever do a similar ultimatum... maybe if he had another future NFL kicker on his hands?

vCash

that was Baylor 2004

DiCarlo was money until the Big 12 Championship in 2003. Lou Groza finalist and everything. i think he had missed one kick up to that point

he was like 50% after that

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

If I remember correctly there were other issues in that previous situation than just a single miss destroying his confidence.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

i don't know what caused it, i just remember when it started

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

His trajectory is too low. On all kicks. Makes him completely ineffective on kicks over 40 yards. To avoid getting it blocked he has to rush the kick and has a greater chance of mis-hitting it. Heading down the stretch we are going to need points every time we can get them. Way, I believe, increases those odds.

Go watch the Kansas game, and look at how high Way kicks extra points. Some kickers evolve out of the tee in high school, Stevens hasn't.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CtheB View Post
    His trajectory is too low. On all kicks. Makes him completely ineffective on kicks over 40 yards. To avoid getting it blocked he has to rush the kick and has a greater chance of mis-hitting it. Heading down the stretch we are going to need points every time we can get them. Way, I believe, increases those odds.

Go watch the Kansas game, and look at how high Way kicks extra points. Some kickers evolve out of the tee in high school, Stevens hasn't.
    Plus if you go back to last season...how many extra points did Stevens miss? 6? 7? that is totally unacceptable

Also, we need a kicker who can get us points from 35 plus yards and with Stevens out there I sure as heck didn't feel good about it with some of the kicks that Ive seen in his playing days in Norman...and finally I think his playing days are over...IMO Tress Way will totally out-perform Stevens when it comes down to how strong his leg is...the only question is how accurate is he?
    "I'm goin to come down there and jerk a half itch in your a$$" ~ Roy D. Mercer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Way will be plenty accurate from Stevens' distance, and has a less than 50% chance of eating one over 40.

Want to see a D1 kicker? Watch the kid from Texas. Every kick was right down the middle. Made it look so easy I thought he was eating a ham sammich while doing it.

Then comes Jimmy Ricochet.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Do you really think Tress just got way better since his Freshman year? No way. He was a stud kicker in HS (as well as a big strong 3rd baseman). He should have been kicking PATs and FGs last year IMO. Not sure why it took the coaching staff 3 losses to figure that out this year. Or Tress was in the doghouse for something last year.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

I've never liked Jimmy kicking

did u see the horns kicker? the ball was high and long

if Jimmy makes that FG against texas, could have been different

i just hate feeling like if we make a 40 yard fg, its an accomplishment, it should be routine

vCash

If we were 7-0 right now like we were last year I would take the ole Jimmy Stevens in a heart beat! I'll take the misses over losing any day!
    Like my old grand daddy used to say, "The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

2006 Oklahoma Sooners
    2007 Oklahoma Sooners
    2008 Oklahoma Sooners