Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Electrical question (ceiling fan)

Installng a new ceiling fan. Old fan wiring was grounded out of the ceiling onto the downrod. New ceiling fan has ground wire on mountig bracket, and on downrod.

Instructions say to connect ground from fan to ground from ceiling, then ground from downrod to ground from bracket.

Problem is, the only three wires coming out of the fan motor assembly are black blue and white. These are the hot fan, hot lght and common wire. How do I proceed?
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Electrical question (ceiling fan)

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner View Post
    Installng a new ceiling fan. Old fan wiring was grounded out of the ceiling onto the downrod. New ceiling fan has ground wire on mountig bracket, and on downrod.

Instructions say to connect ground from fan to ground from ceiling, then ground from downrod to ground from bracket.

Problem is, the only three wires coming out of the fan motor assembly are black blue and white. These are the hot fan, hot lght and common wire. How do I proceed?
    Ok, paint the white one green. It is now the ground.

Really I have no clue.
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Can I just tie all three together?
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Can I just tie all three together?
    Well, the light and the fan should use the same power source, unless you have a separate light and fan switch.
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

just wire ground from ceiling to wire on bracket yea put all 3 together

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

all it does if hot is touching metal on fan it gives it a place to flow to and open breaker. If no ground to metal it will stay hot till someone touches it,then go down leg to ground and hopefully open breaker,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walkoffsooner View Post
    all it does if hot is touching metal on fan it gives it a place to flow to and open breaker. If no ground to metal it will stay hot till someone touches it,then go down leg to ground and hopefully open breaker,
    That sounds reassuring.

-Isaac Asimov

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ChickSoonerFan's Avatar
    vCash

How do I proceed?

Call an electrician, pay him to install the fan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ChickSoonerFan View Post
    Call an electrician, pay him to install the fan.

Such a woman answer.

-Isaac Asimov

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Turn the water off if you're wiring it in your shower. YWIA.
    Oh... you know...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 salth2o's Avatar
    vCash

I just put up a new ceiling fan last night and I had a bare wire coming out of the ceiling that was my ground. I connected the green wires from the down rod and the bracket to the wire from the ceiling in a single connection.

There was no ground coming from my fan motor assembly either, just black, blue, and white.

Mine is working like a charm.
    You only live once, but if you work it right...once is enough!

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Do you have four wires in the ceiling? A green (or bare copper), white, black, and either black or red?

If so, you should have a green attached to the bracket and one to the downrod, right? Hook the bare (or green) from the ceiling to the green from the bracket like it says. Then hook the green from the downrod to the bracket. You're basically grounding the fan casing. Then hook white to white. The other two in the ceiling, one will be light, one fan. Hook the blue (on fan motor) to the light hot and the black (on the fan motor) to the fan hot.

vCash

Like boarder said...hook white to white.

I hooked my blue and black wires together to a single hot so they will work from the wall or with a chain.

vCash

I hooked it up like that and no go.

I think I may be having issues with the switch. The old fan was hooked up to a a switch that had a picture of a fan with an off, low, med, and high setting on the switch. Problem was it didn't work like that. Had to turn it to high and that was the only way the fan would come on, on high at that.

There was also a dimmer next to it for the lights in the room as the fan had no light kit.

So now the wire that was lose in the light kit cap is still no attached to anything.

I hate this crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder View Post
    Do you have four wires in the ceiling? A green (or bare copper), white, black, and either black or red?

If so, you should have a green attached to the bracket and one to the downrod, right? Hook the bare (or green) from the ceiling to the green from the bracket like it says. Then hook the green from the downrod to the bracket. You're basically grounding the fan casing. Then hook white to white. The other two in the ceiling, one will be light, one fan. Hook the blue (on fan motor) to the light hot and the black (on the fan motor) to the fan hot.
    Yes four wires. Green, black white and gray (which I am assuming is the blue wire in this scenario.

This fan has remote (no chains) so the black from the fan goes to the black on the transmitter. Same with the whites. Then the black blue and white from the transmitter ( a seperate 3 wires on the other side of the transmitter) connect to the black blue and white from the fan motor. This is how I hooked it up, with the green from the ceiling tied together with the mounting grind and the downrod ground and capped them together. The mounting and the downrod grounds are connected to screws. This did not make the fan work.

vCash

Sorry colley, I can offer no further suggestions to you and your electrical issues. With that tricky wall switch I am in way over my head.

I would consult a professional...really I would keep connecting stuff until it worked or burned the house down, but I AM NOT suggesting you take that route.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

What brand of fan is this? And you say the ceiling (house) has a green, black, white, and gray, right?

vCash

Yeah, I'm on a limited time crunch before the Mrs host a baby shower at the house this weekend. Wires hanging all over the place
    are probably not what she had in mind for decorations.

vCash

Post pics of the Fan wiring the wires from the ceiling and the switch .
    Make it a lot easier to help.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder View Post
    What brand of fan is this? And you say the ceiling (house) has a green, black, white, and gray, right?

Harbor breeze from Lowes. Yes, coming out of the ceiling are a black, white, gray and green. The green was grounded to the downrod on the old one, the black to black, the white to white, and the gray was capped off by itself. With no light kit, I figured that for the light hot.

Transmitter that goes up under the cover with the wires has a black and white on one side, and a blue, black and white on the other. The booksays for the B&W from the ceiling to go to the two side on the transmitter, and the B&W&B from the transmitter hook up to the same coming out of the motor.