Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Joe Go!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Go Joe Go!

PHOENIX — An Arizona sheriff known for cracking down on people who are in the country illegally launched a crime and immigration sweep in northwestern metro Phoenix on Friday, a half day after officials in Washington limited his powers to make federal immigration arrests.
    Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, whose sweeps have led to allegations of racial profiling, said the rebuff from Washington won't stop him. He said he can still arrest immigrants under a state smuggling law and a federal law that gives all local police agencies more limited power to detain suspected illegal immigrants.
    "It doesn't bother me, because we are going to do the same thing," said Arpaio, whose deputies had arrested 16 people by Friday evening on unspecified charges. "I am the elected sheriff. I don't take orders from the federal government."
    The officers were participating in a federal program that grants a limited number of local police departments special powers to make immigration arrests and speed up deportation. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement stripped Arpaio of his power to let 100 deputies make federal immigration arrests, but renewed another agreement that allows 60 jails officers to determine the immigration status of people in jail.
    The sheriff's sweeps in some heavily Latino areas of metro Phoenix have drawn criticism that Arpaio's deputies racially profile people. Arpaio said people pulled over in the sweeps were approached because deputies had probable cause to believe they had committed crimes and that it was only afterward that deputies found many of them were illegal immigrants.

The U.S. Department of Justice is investigating Arpaio's office over allegations of discrimination and unconstitutional searches and seizures.
    "He is doing this to thumb his nose at the Obama administration," said Lydia Guzman, president of the Hispanic civil rights group Somos America.
    The sweeps have discouraged some Hispanics who have witnessed or been victims of crime to refuse to call Arpaio's deputies, for fear of mistreatment, Guzman said.
    Observers who are part of Guzman's group fanned out across the area of the sweeps with video cameras to record exchanges between deputies and motorists.
    Arpaio said volunteers will use cameras owned by his agency to video-record deputies so viewers can see for themselves that they weren't doing anything wrong. Arpaio responded angrily to a question during a news conference about the costs of the cameras, saying they were paid through seizures in drug cases. "Dope peddlers bought the cameras," Arpaio said.
    A dozen anti-Arpaio protesters yelled throughout the news conference. At one point, they chanted: "Order equals K-K-K — here's what Arpaio has to say."
    Kris Kobach, a law professor at the University of Missouri at Kansas City and an advocate of expanding local immigration efforts, said Arpaio's office — like every other local police agency — can detain people suspected of immigration violations for a day or two until federal authorities come to pick them up.
    In the past, Arpaio could have held such immigrants for longer than two days and conducted investigations of smuggling rings, Kobach said.
    "It's really a slight narrowing, but it's not much," said Kobach, who worked as an immigration law adviser to then-U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft from 2001-2003.
    Dan Pochoda, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing people who filed a lawsuit over the sweeps, said Arpaio still can't pull over motorists solely because they are suspected of being illegal immigrants.
    "He can't do it under the terms he is claiming. He has indicated that he can stop people without the suspicion, based on what they look like, what they sound like," Pochoda said.
    Arpaio said the Bush administration had no complaints about his use of the special federal powers, but all that has changed with the Obama administration.
    "What's changed?" Arpaio asked. "Politics has changed, because they don't like us going on the streets to catch illegals."
    This round of sweep, Arpaio's 12th, is set to end late Saturday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,567902,00.html

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerNate's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Go Joe Go!

Joe for President!

vCash

papers please.

i'm sorry, but looking Hispanic is not probable cause.

i'm all for deporting criminals, but i'm not really down with taking people in for Driving While Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    papers please.

i'm sorry, but looking Hispanic is not probable cause.

i'm all for deporting criminals, but i'm not really down with taking people in for Driving While Brown
    Hmmm...so there taking people in for driving while brown? Funny, I didn't see that in the article. I thought they were taking in people that were not only driving illegally, but in the country illegally.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

I'm surprised he's still alive.

Not that he isn't trying to do the right thing...but he's made himself such a target.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Hmmm...so there taking people in for driving while brown? Funny, I didn't see that in the article. I thought they were taking in people that were not only driving illegally, but in the country illegally.
    "He can't do it under the terms he is claiming. He has indicated that he can stop people without the suspicion, based on what they look like, what they sound like," Pochoda said.
    sounds like DWB to me

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Penguin's Avatar
    vCash

If the county and sheriff wants to use their resources and time to enforce federal immigration laws, that's fine with me.

I just disagree with people saying that the feds should be able to mandate local communities to do ICE's job and not give them a penny to help or a detention facility to hold the illegal aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    you're weird

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Sacramento police chief says legalize undocumented immigrants
    [email protected]
    Published Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009

It's time to legalize millions of undocumented immigrants who are productive, law-abiding citizens - the public's safety depends on it - Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel said Thursday.

In a telephonic press conference with several other law enforcement officials and in an interview with The Bee, Braziel - who has 30 years of law enforcement experience - said that crimes ranging from home invasions to hit-and-run drunken driving are going unsolved because undocumented witnesses are afraid to testify for fear of being deported.

"They're either victims or witnesses in crimes or accidents, but they don't come forward - you have a population of criminals who understand that and actually prey on folks knowing they're not going to call us."

Sacramento police will assist federal immigration officials in tracking down undocumented immigrants suspected of serious crimes, but will not routinely check immigration status in traffic stops.

Braziel made his call for immigration reform as part of the Law Enforcement Engagement Initiative, an organization founded by former Sacramento Police Chief Arturo Venegas Jr. to give police a voice in the immigration debate.

Braziel said Congress must take a two-pronged approach - tighter borders and a way to allow productive undocumented immigrants to stay here legally. Now, many are afraid to assist in criminal investigations, putting the general public at risk, Braziel said.

"We need to remember that there are at least 12 million people out there who are unauthorized to be in this country, and they're our neighbors. ... We need to start putting faces and names to these 12 million people because this is not an issue where you can deport people away. It doesn't solve the issue."
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

vCash

Law-abiding citizens...?

Now, that's not exactly true is it now?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Law-abiding citizens...?

Shhhh....it makes it sound better.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

"Go Joe Go" means only one thing...the OU/Mizzou game that Joe Washington took over at the end...miraculous..That was the chant by the OU broadcast by John Brooks...a classic...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

Law-abiding citizens...?

Don't roll your eyes about that. They abide by some of our laws.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    sounds like DWB to me
    Last I checked, stopping people without suspicion (or "probable cause") was kinda written into the Bill of Rights.

Why are the Republicans defending big government when it comes to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    "Go Joe Go" means only one thing...the OU/Mizzou game that Joe Washington took over at the end...miraculous..That was the chant by the OU broadcast by John Brooks...a classic...
    Wasn't it Mike Trepps who made that call?
    "They are survivors. Come the apocalypse, the only thing left standing will be a handful of cockroaches and Bob Stoops and his Sooner squad." -hornfans-

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

[Holier than Thou]Law-abiding citizens...?

Now, that's not exactly true is it now? [/Holier than Thou]
    Curly, now I'm confident you've never broken a law, but I must sadly remind you that some of your best buddies on this board are criminals who have downloaded copyrighted music illegally, drank before the legal age, brewed in dry counties, and some have even smoked pot.

Somehow folks seem to get all self-righteous about obeying laws rather selectively.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUMallen's Avatar
    vCash

Yermom is right.

1. No more DWB arrests.
    2. Don't to the Sac thing though- go ahead and check immigration status during a legit traffic stop.
    3. We need wholesale changes. The current system is. not. working. Let's turn a negative into a positive. Add these people to the labor force and the tax base. There's a reason why China is going to outstrip us soon- they have more people. We've made it clear that deportation won't work. If we allow more immigration through legal channels, maybe the undocumented people will slow down a little.

But we need to deal with the reality of the situation: these people won't stop coming. Mexico isn't helping us. The mega drug wars across the border aren't helping.
    Olevet Posse Bail Bondsman

"I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right"
    - Chick Corea

vCash

Also, it's amazing sometimes how willing people are to give up the liberty of others.

"I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right"
    - Chick Corea

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    Sacramento police chief says legalize undocumented immigrants
    [email protected]
    Published Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009

"They're either victims or witnesses in crimes or accidents, but they don't come forward - you have a population of criminals who understand that and actually prey on folks knowing they're not going to call us."
    This is sad and all, but the life of an illegal alien shouldn't necessarily be peaches and cream either.

- Chick Corea

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    Curly, now I'm confident you've never broken a law, but I must sadly remind you that some of your best buddies on this board are criminals who have downloaded copyrighted music illegally, drank before the legal age, brewed in dry counties, and some have even smoked pot.

Somehow folks seem to get all self-righteous about obeying laws rather selectively.
    Timeout. The difference between me smoking some ganja in San Diego, and your buddy Humberto from Hermosillo smoking some ganja in San Diego is that I am in San Diego legally, and Humberto is not.

vCash

HOLY **** **** it's HOT! Re: Go Joe Go!

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Timeout. The difference between me smoking some ganja in San Diego, and your buddy Humberto from Hermosillo smoking some ganja in San Diego is that I am in San Diego legally, and Humberto is not.
    And Humberto ain't dead sexy either.