Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

At first, I thought this had to be a joke but it isn't. He won.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/...eu_nobel_peace

Quote Originally Posted by AP News
    By KARL RITTER and MATT MOORE, Associated Press Writers – 3 mins ago
    OSLO – President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
    The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.
    Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist.
    The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage. The plaudit appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for resorting to largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
    Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.
    "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee said. "In the past year Obama has been a key person for important initiatives in the U.N. for nuclear disarmament and to set a completely new agenda for the Muslim world and East-West relations."
    He added that the committee endorsed "Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"
    President Theodore Roosevelt won the award in 1906 and President Woodrow Wilson won in 1919.
    The committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.
    Five years later, the committee honored Bush's adversary in the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore, for his campaign to raise awareness about global warming.
    The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize though it was not immediately apparent who nominated Obama.
    "The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given too someone ... who has the power to contribute to peace," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.
    Nominators include former laureates; current and former members of the committee and their staff; members of national governments and legislatures; university professors of law, theology, social sciences, history and philosophy; leaders of peace research and foreign affairs institutes; and members of international courts of law.
    The Nelson Mandela Foundation welcomed the award on behalf of its founder Nelson Mandela, who shared the 1993 Peace Prize with then-South African President F.W. DeKlerk for their efforts at ending years of apartheid and laying the groundwork for a democratic country.
    "We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty," the foundation said.
    In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel stipulated that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."
    Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, he said the peace prize should be given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Sweden and Norway were united under the same crown at the time of Nobel's death.
    The committee has taken a wide interpretation of Nobel's guidelines, expanding the prize beyond peace mediation to include efforts to combat poverty, disease and climate change.
    ___
    Associated Press Writer Ian MacDougall contributed to this report.

Re: Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

So they're handing out Nobel Peace Prizes for potential instead of results?
    "They are survivors. Come the apocalypse, the only thing left standing will be a handful of cockroaches and Bob Stoops and his Sooner squad." -hornfans-

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MrJimBeam View Post
    So they're handing out Nobel Peace Prizes for potential instead of results?
    Evidently. He's accomplished nothing that I understand to be requirements for being awarded the Peace Prize, but you see he says all the right things and he's trying really really hard.

vCash

I love that he won the Peace Prize on the same day he authorized the bombing of the moon.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

And the Legend grows...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

It was given to him the same reason the presidency was given to him.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Historic!
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

It always is.

So the President was nominated 2 weeks after he took office? Feb 1st is the deadline for nominations. The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.
    "They are survivors. Come the apocalypse, the only thing left standing will be a handful of cockroaches and Bob Stoops and his Sooner squad." -hornfans-

vCash

So the President was nominated 2 weeks after he took office? Feb 1st is the deadline for nominations. The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.
    Considering who they've been awarding the Peace Prize to lately, I'd be more honored to be honored by the Rotary Club.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.

You mean it wasn't already?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 batonrougesooner's Avatar
    vCash

I thought the credibility of the award was pretty well destroyed after Carter and Gore won it. I guess they were just wanting to make sure...
    "I am batonrougesooner and I approved this message"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by batonrougesooner View Post
    I thought the credibility of the award was pretty well destroyed after Carter and Gore won it. I guess they were just wanting to make sure...
    Carter and Gore won it after Yassir Arafat and Kofi Annan won. It's been a joke for many years now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 batonrougesooner's Avatar
    vCash

True. Forgot about Yassir Arafat.
    "I am batonrougesooner and I approved this message"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

Sad that a decision made by a committee will only serve to direct more anger towards President Obama.

vCash

I suspect he'll turn down the prize in some way and then be applauded for his magnanimity.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I suspect he'll turn down the prize in some way and then be applauded for his magnanimity.
    Oh no, he won't turn it down.

The man is totally about self-promotion and agrandizement. In fact, he probably refers more often to himself personally in speeches than any president in history.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

What a complete ****ing joke. I didn't agree with Al Gore's award, but at least he'd actually DONE something.

Sheesh. Last night I watch John Stewart mock Obama for having done nothing. What a joke.
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Anti Christ.

The Nobel prize committee just made themselves and the award irrelevant and meaningless. Of Course, Jimmy Carter pipes up.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Of course he won it, if he hadn't it would be pretty obvious it was because the Nobel committee was racist.