Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: This is a Chumpionship Defense

Quote Originally Posted by rawlingsHOH View Post
    HAD to be sick. I've never seen him like that before.
    Are these posts serious? He was in the backfield almost every play.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: I have held my fire for 1 season

OK, I get people are upset about the loss. I am too. I get people are missing some of the defensive attitude we had in the early part of the decade. I am too. But to say you had enough of this defense after last night... I don't get it. I'm not getting all the complaining about the defense last night. 7 of those points were essentially on the offense, not the defense which means that the defense held them to 14 points. If you can't score more than 14 points... well, you have problems on offense.

Sure it would have been nice to stop them one more time at the end but really, how many times should a defense have to stop the other team before it should be enough. That loss is on the offense, not the defense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: This is a Chumpionship Defense

Quote Originally Posted by westbrooke View Post
    Get off the field on 3rd down! I think that needs to be said.

I remember when a 3rd down against our D was the same as a punt. Now it seems like a guaranteed big play. We sit back and wait for a pass to be caught. Granted, we're great at stopping YAC, but the initial catch is something we seem all too willing to concede.
    The primary goal is stop them from scoring points. Stopping them on third down is just something to help out with the primary goal. If the primary goal is accomplished, why are we complaining? This performance is COMPLETELY on the offense, more specifically the offensive line.

vCash

replace the word venables with wilson and I agree 100%

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SOONER44EVER's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Q22 View Post
    I agree 100%. How can anyone say the D has lost a game this season? The offense is the problem guys.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Q22 View Post
    I concur!
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup

SoonerFans.com Elite Member boomersooner28's Avatar
    vCash

How are people pissed off about a defense that basically gave up 14 points on the road, to a potent offense?

I don't get it.

People, I'm gonna say this one last time. The short dink and dunk stuff underneath that pisses everyone off is our scheme. Thats the stuff we choose to give up rather than 50 yard pass TD's. Would you rather see that? We give up yardage to OUr 20 yard line, yes. BUT, thats what we are built to do. Once opponents get to OUr 20, we are VERY difficult to score on. Thats just the way it is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner28 View Post
    How are people pissed off about a defense that basically gave up 14 points on the road, to a potent offense?

I don't get it.

People, I'm gonna say this one last time. The short dink and dunk stuff underneath that pisses everyone off is our scheme. Thats the stuff we choose to give up rather than 50 yard pass TD's. Would you rather see that? We give up yardage to OUr 20 yard line, yes. BUT, thats what we are built to do. Once opponents get to OUr 20, we are VERY difficult to score on. Thats just the way it is.
    I honestly think a lot of people on this board don't even watch the games.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash

I don't get it.

Well, a scheme that lets them get to the 20 needs to be changed to the one that doesn't let them get a first down.

There, better.
    Last edited by okiewaker; 10/4/2009 at 05:05 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Exactly. Enough with the "good between the 20's scheme." Put in the "no-first downs" scheme. I can't believe Venables and Stoops continue to choose an inferior scheme when they could just as easily put in a scheme that would give up no yards at all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg View Post
    Exactly. Enough with the "good between the 20's scheme." Put in the "no-first downs" scheme. I can't believe Venables and Stoops continue to choose an inferior scheme when they could just as easily put in a scheme that would give up no yards at all.
    heh!
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I don't get it.

You're probably going to have to say it again. Because it seems to me that this scheme doesn't work against good teams and certainly has proved to be pretty ineffective on the road and moreover, totally over matched in bowl games.

Where's Curly Bill??

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MyT Oklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

I come to soonerfans.com mainly to read what others have to say. This thread is just one example of others providing food for thought. Thanks for your observations.
    OU 20 UT 36 "It is what it is." Mack Brown 10/12/13

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MyT Oklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER44EVER View Post
    ^^ One of the best lines of the day.
    OU 20 UT 36 "It is what it is." Mack Brown 10/12/13

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

While the defense didn't lose the game, it didn't help.

They gave up 5.7 yards per play. That is too much.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

vCash

I think it is time to start looking for a new OC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jduggle View Post
    You're probably going to have to say it again. Because it seems to me that this scheme doesn't work against good teams and certainly has proved to be pretty ineffective on the road and moreover, totally over matched in bowl games.

Where's Curly Bill??
    This scheme won't work against anyone if the offense doesn't put points on the board. There is only ONE defensive stat that matters. Points allowed. We are #4 in the nation in this category. Once again, the defense is not the problem.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Benjamin was wide open. Wasn't a defender near him.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 prrriiide's Avatar
    vCash

I agree 100%. How can anyone say the D has lost a game this season? The offense is the problem guys.
    I'm not saying the defense lost the game. I am saying that the defensive coordinator lost the game. When you are late in the 4th and you MUST HAVE a stop, don't play a 10-yard cushion against a team that lives and dies by the timing pattern! That is a complete breakdown in strategy, and that goes directly to the coordinator.

Do I think Wilson was too conservative? Yes. But I also think he did a decent job, given that injuries have filleted our offense like a sea bass. Of course the offense is a glaring problem. But it is not un-workable. The defense was at 100%. The players mostly played a great game. The coordinator's strategy stunk up the stadium.

I expect a championship-caliber coordinator's defense to be able to come up with a stop on 3rd and 6. I expect that a championship-caliber coordinator's gameplan will be able to put the clamps on in that situation and not give up that 8-10 yard cushion that Miami exploited all night, and that everyone in the human race knew they would. ADJUST! Every person watching that game KNEW that the 3rd down play would be an 8-yard out timing pattern to the left. Every time they completed that play last night it went for a first down.

Did BV think Miami forgot how to play their short passing game after the Blacksburg debacle? Stupidity is often defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Allowing that 3rd & 6 to happen last night is a glaring example of stupidity. Did BV REALLY expect a different result from the other half dozen times Miami ran that EXACT same play?

Whipple outcoached Venables last night, and it wasn't even close. Even with that shytty gameplan, our D held that potent offense to 14 points in their own house. Imagine what this crew could do with a DC that could compete coaching-wise with these big-time OCs.

Well, a scheme that lets them get to the 20 needs to be changed to the one that doesn't let them get a first down.
    When you MUST HAVE a stop to have a chance at winning the game, you're damm skippy. BV's play-calling never gave the D a chance to make that critical stop, or quite a few others throughout the game.
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Or have ever played a sport