Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Why I Feel Our Defensive Coordinator Has To Go...

I think part of the reason the D has had such great success as far as ypg and ppg has been the players on the field. We all know Venables' cover 2, soft zone, predictable blitz scheme and a good portion of us do not like it. I'm not calling for his his job nor am I saying I agree with the job he has done but at some point we have to just say he has superb athletes on that side of the ball and they have made him look good in spots. We have likely 6-8 guys on D that will play at the next level and they can make any coach look good because they are, that good.

The only game the last two years I have seen a great scheme implemented from Venables was the Tech game last year. Those guys were prepared and held them in check completely with being in the right place, right time due to design, not just athleticism. I do not think he can call a good game with play timing and adjustments at all but he obviously has talent to coach on that side of the ball and we need some good coaching to go along with it.

It kills me to see all this talent on the field and what appears to be play calling and lack of adjustments hindering what they are capable of as a unit.
    “This is Oklahoma. If you don’t win championships, that’s considered a failure.” Travis Lewis

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan View Post
    The D allowed BYU to drive down the field in the 4th quarter when OU had the lead; how is that making enough plays to win?
    Not a single team in the country should be disappointed with giving up 14 points and 21 points in a neutral site and away game. We have issues on the offensive side of that ball when that happens. We made plenty of plays on D both nights but got out schemed in crucial situations. Should we have been in that position to begin with.....NO. We should have scored 17 and 21 points in the first halves of both of those games.
    “This is Oklahoma. If you don’t win championships, that’s considered a failure.” Travis Lewis

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 prrriiide's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I have held my fire for 1 season

Quote Originally Posted by ndpruitt03 View Post
    The defense made a stop if I'm not mistaken. The offense had 1 first down after that score. We needed the offense to step up more if anything because we lost our leader in the middle of the game. I don't think even the 2000 D steps up if Rocky gets hurt and is out for the game in the middle of the A&M game.
    Yeah. They had a stop. After 3 consecutive clock-burning runs up the middle by Ogbonnaya with 45 seconds remaining in the game and down by 10 points. You do realize that texass only had 3 more yards of offense than OU don't you? The difference is that down the stretch, when texass needed a stop, Muschamp's D performed, and when OU needed a stop Venables' D didn't. And it was all about SCHEME.
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Our defense had a chance to pull some Sooner Magic and win this game. When Franks batted the ball and had it on his fingertips with the score 21 to 17. If he runs that in the defense carries the day. If could be said we rely too much on those type plays rather than playing sound defense? As for the KW run calls I can see some of his thought process.After the 50-yard Brown run he is teased into thinking we can break off a big run any minute. However, after running into a dry hole a hundred times, adjust and move on?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan View Post
    The D allowed BYU to drive down the field in the 4th quarter when OU had the lead; how is that making enough plays to win?
    they held a top 25 team to 2 tds. its not the d thats losing games. its a lack of offensive production.

yes we could have come up with a stop against miami on 3rd and 6, but we also could have scored more points. hell if franks holds on to that dropped interception, thats 6 points right there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I agree with those who say it's not the D's fault. This D is actually improved alot over previous years (going back to 2004). The offense however...

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

like i posted in the thread I started, the concern I have is the inability to stop on 3rd down and in the 4th quarter...yahoo for high rankings, but if your not good in the 4th quarter in a close game, you lose, no matter what you did in the first 3...

Im not calling for BV's job, I dont trust him in a close game though
    Bazinga

Latigo Beach ... nice point break ... long workable rides.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBornSoonerBred View Post
    The only game the last two years I have seen a great scheme implemented from Venables was the Tech game last year. Those guys were prepared and held them in check completely with being in the right place, right time due to design, not just athleticism.
    Unfortunately TTU was also exposed in its bowl game against a pretty good Ole Miss defense. If I recall TTU went up 14-0 then Ole Miss adjusted and pretty much dominated the rest of the game.
    "OK ... l know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule ... and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing your break, right?"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TXBOOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pigface1 View Post
    We haven't had the level of talent on defense we did earlier this decade, imo. Right now you have Gerald McCoy and Beal is playing well, but who else? Q. Carter's doing a good job.

But, no game changing big game guys like Roy Williams, Calmus, Torrance, Tommy Harris, etc. Woolfolk ended up being an incredible shut down corner.
    Agreed. We have not had the athletes across the board like we had back in the day. Calmus, Marshall and Williams GDMF rocked!
    BOOMER SOONER!

vCash

I sent Bill a e-mail today and a reply came back from Skip.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The OP is one of the truly great OU football posts on the Internet. Ever.

Venables gets an undeserved pass from people who only look at the scoreboard. In fact, check 3rd down conversions. We're among the middle of the pack in the country, and the reason is his steadfast refusal to match up with inside receivers on passing downs.

Every other program has a nickel and dime package; we cover with Ryan Reynolds, who has no lateral mobility, Keenan Clayton, who can't cover; and the underachieving Travis Lewis in the passing game.

There's absolutely no secret how to defeat this defense - work the middle with drag and crossing routes. If this doesn't change - and it won't, because Venables and Stoops don't change - Dan Buckner and Jordan Shipley will have career days in the Cotton Bowl and the Sooners won't just be defeated. We will be routed.

Inflexible football that doesn't adjust to anything - the hallmark of the Brent Venables era at Oklahoma.

I join the OP's call: Time for Venables to move on and new ideas to take over the defensive headsets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prrriiide View Post
    Yeah. They had a stop. After 3 consecutive clock-burning runs up the middle by Ogbonnaya with 45 seconds remaining in the game and down by 10 points. You do realize that texass only had 3 more yards of offense than OU don't you? The difference is that down the stretch, when texass needed a stop, Muschamp's D performed, and when OU needed a stop Venables' D didn't. And it was all about SCHEME.
    And OU's offense did nothing. The problem is that as a team we aren't a 4th quarter team. We play bad on both sides of the ball when it really counts.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfe View Post
    http://www.coacheshotseat.com/Defens...antCoaches.htm

I dunno, maybe you can find one in this list that would come here thats better. I think the list is from last year, but there is a list if you want to find a better one. Im sure there are some from smaller schools that arent on there that should be but eh.
    John Blake would probably not mind a promotion...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post

Basically he's a musclehead.
    LOL. That's exactly what I think when I see him on the sidelines. Good position coach...and we'll leave it at that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Half a Hundred's Avatar
    vCash

So, who's the young blood we need to shore things up on D? Who's got the kind of flexible mentality and killer instinct that can get Bob back to where he's enjoying things again? Difficulty: no Mike.
    Greatest program of the modern era.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
    The OP is one of the truly great OU football posts on the Internet. Ever.

Venables gets an undeserved pass from people who only look at the scoreboard. In fact, check 3rd down conversions. We're among the middle of the pack in the country, and the reason is his steadfast refusal to match up with inside receivers on passing downs.

Every other program has a nickel and dime package; we cover with Ryan Reynolds, who has no lateral mobility, Keenan Clayton, who can't cover; and the underachieving Travis Lewis in the passing game.

There's absolutely no secret how to defeat this defense - work the middle with drag and crossing routes. If this doesn't change - and it won't, because Venables and Stoops don't change - Dan Buckner and Jordan Shipley will have career days in the Cotton Bowl and the Sooners won't just be defeated. We will be routed.

Inflexible football that doesn't adjust to anything - the hallmark of the Brent Venables era at Oklahoma.

I join the OP's call: Time for Venables to move on and new ideas to take over the defensive headsets.
    Great post, but i'm sure some of the Venables apologists will find something wrong with this.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

First, it's a little intellectually dishonest to put that 2003 KSU title game in there since Mike Stoops was the DC of record and had only accepted the Arizona position earlier that week.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime43 View Post
    The fact is when we absolutely need a stop we can't get it. Why? Because we have a bend but don't break defense. Look at the Tulsa game. How many times were they in our territory? We don't get many 3 and outs. We bend bend bend and hope the quarterback makes a mistake or we sack the quarterback. Otherwise they dink and dunk us until we blow an assignment.
    But the reason we absolutely need a stop is because our offense is under-performing.

We didn't NEED many stops against Texas Tech last year, so apparently nobody notices that we held them to 14 points until they scored a meaningless TD with 11 seconds left.

Likewise, we didn't NEED many stops against Missouri last year, so apparently it doesn't matter that we held them to 21 points in 12 possessions.

Then there's 2007, when we're playing #1 ranked Missouri in the title game and go into halftime tied 14-14. Our defense gave up one FG in the second half. That's a few stops that we needed. In the 2nd half we forced two 3-and-outs, a 2-and-interception and only allowed a total of 135 yards.

Yeah, it's frustrating when it's late in the 4th quarter and we need a stop but we can't get it. But it's also frustrating when it's the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter and we need a score and can't get it.

Venables' defense has had it's share of poor games, no doubt. I'm sure he'd acknowledge as much. But the last three losses have had more to do with our offense's inability to score than our defense's inability to stop the other team.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

one thing I will say for the cause of the D and I said this last year...when this offense doesn't work, it leaves the d in a pinch....this tempo'd offense cannot have 3 and outs...
    Bazinga

vCash

We're an unstoppable machine against lame OOC teams, and against Big 12 teams that we can overwhelm with talent. Lately, maybe 4 or 5 seasons, when we play against a team that can match up with us talentwise, we have come up short. I don't know why that is. Teams that man up to us cause us problems. It used to be that teams took on the personality of their head coach. We all know Bob is as tough and competitive as anybody. Why his teams aren't that way is what angers most fans. To most of us fans, it seems like we get beat the same way anytime we lose. Now, if it's not really that way, some of you that are angry at crtiticism tell us where we are wrong. If it's just coincidence that we seem to lose EVERY close game we play, point out to us how we are wrong.
    Last edited by wishbonesooner; 10/5/2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: more

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sonner magic923 View Post
    i havnt been on here in a few days but i knew this is exactly what i would see. FIRE BV...well why all his defense has done is allow 28 points in 4 games(cant call a tunover on the 14 on the d. ya maybe they should of held for a fg but still)
    u can lay this clearly at the feet of fate thats who decided to take JG SB and BB from us not BV... O ya and the constant calling draw on f'n third and long man i know Jones is green and all but man give the kid a chance to make something happen. jmtc
    Are you serious? Like, this was a real post? Did your pet monkey write it?

Have a nearby grown-up translate whatever it is that you scribbled into English and I'll respond again. In the interim, you should have someone read you my original post as it already shot down all of the things that you tried (poorly) to say.

Edit: I realized that I was a bit harsh upon re-re-re-reading (no, I didn't stutter, it was that poorly written) what you wrote, considering that you had a good point about the offense. My post was about the defense, though.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09