Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: This is a Chumpionship Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Our defense has given up 8.5 points per game this season. I really don't think much more needs to be said.
    Get off the field on 3rd down! I think that needs to be said.

I remember when a 3rd down against our D was the same as a punt. Now it seems like a guaranteed big play. We sit back and wait for a pass to be caught. Granted, we're great at stopping YAC, but the initial catch is something we seem all too willing to concede.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

As much as it hurts, we all have to face facts and realize what people all over the country already know and we try to ignore. Bob Stoops is no longer one of the elite coaches. He isn't in the same league as Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, maybe not even Mack Brown. He just isn't. I still want him to be our coach, but he isn't motivating players with the strength of his personality. And I don't think he is motivating his coaching staff either. Time to face facts.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I'm sure locals feel different, but where I am on the east coast, Stoops is not held in high regard (that's putting it mildly) and the Oklahoma program is continually described as overrated. Stoops is a good coach, but he's now the Microsoft and the Meyer's, Carroll's, Saban's, etc are the Google's.

I think Stoops biggest problem is that he's stopped innovating. Think about how earlier in the decade we would see new wrinkles on O and D and how they usually caught the opponent off guard. No one knew how to game plan OU because Stoops would always do something unique.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 btk108's Avatar
    vCash

What is with the secondary mentality? We used to punish recievers when they caught the ball and then they spent the rest of the game worrying about getting hit and not catching the ball. NOW...we give them plenty of cushion and push them out of bounds or drag them down OR we go for the pick.
    Well I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

I thought the D played pretty well, one Miami TD gift-wrapped otherwise 14 points...not bad...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

One "gift-wrapped" Miami TD is the difference between a D playing "pretty well" and a D that gave up one too many big plays.

No excuses...the truth is the D gave up too many 3rd down plays too. I haven't checked the stats but Miami converted most 3rd downs.

vCash

The D played pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedMagic View Post
    Vulnerables is in over his head. He's incompetent and has been exposed time after time, yet Stoops keeps him, why??? Because he's getting 4 mil a year and doesn't give a **** if he craps out a garbage product. It's time he feels some heat.
    u are retarded

vCash

Thumbs down Re: This is a Chumpionship Defense

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas View Post
    2008 OU/Texas 4th Quarter 35-38 D needs a big stop, result 35-45

2009 OU/Florida 4th Quarter 14-17 D needs a big stop, result 14-24

2009 OU/Byu 4th Quarter 13-7 D needs a big stop, result 13-14

2009 OU/Miami 4th Quarter 20-21 D needs a big stop, result 20-21
    Nice Flamebait thread.

vCash

He should try to list all of the great plays by our D in recent years...I am sure he can't, not in his DNA...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 The_Red_Patriot's Avatar
    vCash

You people are morons!

You are really going to put these losses on Brent Venables?

Give me freaking break......Kevin Wilson is responsible for losses against Colorado and Texas Tech in 2007, Florida, BYU and now Miami. In all of these games he totally went vanilla and lost his manhood with the play calling.

The defense simply cant be on the field all game.
    Be like Paul Thompson today!

vCash

Well...it's a meltdown thread. You can't have stuff like that in them.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I am sorry the facts hurt your feelers.

You guys were probably some of the same sunshine pumpers back in the Blake days.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Patriot View Post
    You people are morons!

You are really going to put these losses on Brent Venables?

Give me freaking break......Kevin Wilson is responsible for losses against Colorado and Texas Tech in 2007, Florida, BYU and now Miami. In all of these games he totally went vanilla and lost his manhood with the play calling.

The defense simply cant be on the field all game.
    No doubt about it. Wilson cost us the NC last year with his stellar goal line calls, too.

But I don't know... seems to me Benjamin was wide open and Miami was 8-13 on 3rd downs.

We held them to 21 points. That with them gettin a TO inside the 20. So thats not on the D really. Their other games they scored 38, 33, and 7. The 7 was b/c VTech is always a bad *** team, it was raining, and it was at VTech. I like the way we played, just couldn't quite get to Harris soon enough. I bet he is hurting today though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Our defense has given up 8.5 points per game this season. I really don't think much more needs to be said.
    Just goes to show that the numbers can be manipulated to tell any story you want.

The jury is still out on the D until we get into Big 12 play.

One thing is for certain, when the SOONERS need a big stop - a three and out, the D can't get off of the field.

Here's to another Big 12 Championship.

BOOMER

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas View Post
    I am sorry the facts hurt your feelers.

You guys were probably some of the same sunshine pumpers back in the Blake days.
    You ain't hurting my feelings. Losing to Miami hurts a lot worse than any lame post like what you posted can do.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by westbrooke View Post
    Get off the field on 3rd down! I think that needs to be said.

I remember when a 3rd down against our D was the same as a punt. Now it seems like a guaranteed big play. We sit back and wait for a pass to be caught. Granted, we're great at stopping YAC, but the initial catch is something we seem all too willing to concede.
    Exactly. 3rd downs under Venables D against a decent team are a joke. Its almost an automatic first down. Ever feel safe when it is 3rd and 17? No way. Vulnerables got totally schooled last night. Luckily, the 2 early interceptions stopped drives because we had done little else to slow down Miami. Could have easily been a 35 - 20 game.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 prrriiide's Avatar
    vCash

I have held my fire for 1 season

plus 3 games. No more.

Venables is not the answer. I was hopeful after pitching back-to-back shutouts, but also kept in mind the competition.

Twice during the 4th quarter last night, ABC cut to Venables. Both times he looked like a deer in the headlights. Literally. His facial expression was one of disbelief and horror, like he had just walked in on his parents getting freaky in the sack or something.

For the last two weeks I have told anyone that asked, and even posted up on a couple of boards (including this one) that my main concern defensively was Miami's short passing game, and specifically RR's struggles in coverage.

If a (slightly) pudgy middle-aged tuba player living 1000 miles from Norman can see that this is going to be a challenge 2 weeks ahead of time, why are we paying Venables 6 figures to get taken behind the woodshed and butt-secksed on national TV AGAIN??

Against inferior competition and inferior coaching, Venables defense looks like a brick wall. Against inferior competition and competent coaching, Venables defense looks just decent. Against competent competition and good coaching, Venables defense looks like a seive. Our defense out-talents just about any offense in the country. So this comes down to coaching.

Venables gameplan was a farce.

Everyone from here to Saturn KNEW Miami was going to throw the underneath timing routes. ESPECIALLY after 2 deep picks on consecutive drives. In fact, Harris never threw another pass more than 15 yards in the air after the second pick. If you want to defeat underneath timing routes, you throw off the timing. The easiest way to do that is to line up and pound the receiver right in the grill within the 5-yard cusion. So what was Dr. Venables prescription? An 8-10 yard cushion. At least 2/3 of Miami's receptions were uncontested because the receiver just ran up to the 1st down marker and turned around to find the ball in his hands.

Another coaching letdown: Keenan Clayton. He was recruited as a SAFETY. Have they not coached his coverage skills since his move to LB? He got worked all night long.

I know Wilson went into a conservative womb after Broyles went out, but in all fairness, what choice did he have? OU has no other proven deep threat. I was really pleased to see Kenney step up. Unfortunately, the Miami D seemed to realize it at about the same time our coaches started to go to him as a pseudo-primary.

Miami was able to run the ball because they always had two, often three guys on GK. Their speed allowed them to chip Beal to the outside on running plays, and Jeffries would be into the deep secondary before you could blink an eye. Even then, Beal was able to catch up and make some stops, but not until after a 5-8 yard gain.

Whipple took Venables to school last night. He outschemed him on the run game, and took advantage of BV's laugher of a pass D gameplan. It is really a tribute to the athleticism of our defensive athletes that Miami ONLY scored 3 TDs. BVs gameplan put them at a total disadvantage all night.

It's time for Venables to put on his big-boy britches and start coaching like a championship DC. If he can't do that, it's time to get someone who will.
    Last edited by prrriiide; 10/4/2009 at 04:57 PM.
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedMagic View Post
    Other than you are incredibly mediocre minded. But then again, I guess that didn't need to be said either, eh?
    They gave up 21 points, 7 of which the offense handed them, to the #17 ranked team in the nation. That's a hell of a lot better than mediocre, especially considering this was the worst defensive performance of the season.

I don't see how you consider giving up 8.5 points per game mediocre at any level, especially college.