Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

It's a good thing the internet wasn't around in 1980...

or we would not have the 1985 NC. All of you football wizards would have run Switzer off and with it title number six. I really don't know why so many of you aren't football coaches as astute, as you seem to think you are, on the game of football. I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: It's a good thing the internet wasn't around in 1980...

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner24 View Post
    I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.
    I'm actually surprised how easy it is! Especially when I watch the game again!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

You rarely saw Barry get beat the same way over and over.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I did.

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Many did try back then, remember the Bury Barry bumper stickers?
    I was there during what we thought was the "losing years" until Smellsofbourbon and Blake showed us what they really were.

vCash

Actually Switzer had Bury Barry trademarked when he became head coach after the Chuck Chuck bumper stickers in the late 60's.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 En_Fuego's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    You might want to go back and look at some of the games Switzer lost. If you will remember, the Halfbacks carried the ball like a loaf of bread and it was the norm to fumble atleast 5-6 times a game. And also remember....The Big 8 Conference was the Big 2.

Actually Switzer had Bury Barry trademarked when he became head coach after the Chuck Chuck bumper stickers in the late 60's.
    Crazy all they had to worry about was bumper stickers...times have def changed!
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Some people on here would fire a coach for being 40-1. I, on the other hand, EXPECT to win every game in a blowout. I do however accept it when we don't.

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by En_Fuego View Post
    The Big 8 Conference was the Big 2.
    I'll never forget hearing bits of Barry's pre-game speech to boys in 84 or 85 in Boulder. I think CU was having a great year and Barry reminded the team that it was about "Oklahoma and Nebraska!"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mehip View Post
    I'll never forget hearing bits of Barry's pre-game speech to boys in 84 or 85 in Boulder. I think CU was having a great year and Barry reminded the team that it was about "Oklahoma and Nebraska!"
    I have heard Barry admit in at least a couple of interviews that it was much easier to win Big 8 titles than Big 12.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Barry has stated many, many times that the job that Stoops & Co. have to do is much more difficult today. Tougher scholarship limits, the fact that *everyone* gets to play on TV, the overall sophistication of the game, greater parity.

And as far as getting beat the same way multiple times, if we could have had a half-way decent pass defense (cough *PROCTOR*) we would have had back to back to back titles.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

or we would not have the 1985 NC. All of you football wizards would have run Switzer off and with it title number six. I really don't know why so many of you aren't football coaches as astute, as you seem to think you are, on the game of football. I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.
    You know what,? I haven't said a single word on this board about the loss, but this right here just p***es me off. I hate stupid-*** comments like these. I have no beef with you personally Sooner24, but this kind of attitude (and I know you aren't the only one who's said this) represents a complete lack of thought.

First of all, do you REALLY think that the OU administration is going to run off Stoops or ANYONE because of what some forum members think? Get a grip on reality. There is NO WAY Switzer would have been run off, even if fans created a huge stink back then. Think about how many people there are on this board and then think about how many Sooner fans there are across this country. Given the tiny percentage of fans represented on this forum, there's no chance that any coach will be run out of town by people on this board.

You want to know why I'm not a coach? It sure as hell isn't because I'm an idiot about football. It's because I never pursued the opportunity, and that the VERY few opportunities there are for coaching out there aren't as lucrative financially as what I currently do for a living. Sure, making $4mil a year SOUNDS nice, but how many people REALLY get that opportunity? Think about this, also: do you really imagine that the smartest people in the community end up coaching football? Really? No, they get degrees and go in other directions. Former football players become coaches.

I've played organized football. I'm reasonably intelligent, and I understand the game pretty thoroughly. Would I make a good coach? Maybe not. But that doesn't preclude me from being able to identify things that I see that could use improvement. I'm a FAN, just like you are. But I have every right to complain if I think my coach isn't doing his job well enough. The biggest part of being a fan is caring about how your favorite team is being run. Yeah, some people can go overboard. But there are also reasonable people out there who have legitimate criticisms of the coaching staff.

In the end, I will respect someone who's willing to state their opinion logically and reasonably far more than someone who criticizes another for their opinion simply because they don't like the sound of it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

^

That
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Certainly bob has flamed out on some big stages but lets think back about the other great coaches and compare.

Petey and USC did lose to Stanford a couple years back and to Oregon State last year.
    Florida lost at home to ole miss last year and the year before that they lost 5 games.

sometimes it just seems Stoops & Co really seem to be ill prepared in alot of these games when they have the far superior talent on the field. Plus the freakin' miseries inside the 10 haven't helped these last couple games

vCash

The complete lack of thought comes from the knee-jerk whiners.

Do you think that the only place people are saying this is on this forum? There are other Sooner sites and I am pretty sure the same bs is flowing just like it is here.

As far as Switzer goes he was in a lot of trouble, because we weren't winning enough in some peoples opinion, and there was a writer from the Daily Oklahoma making it his personal quest to get Barry fired. If the internet had existed back in the day I feel pretty confident he would have been gone.

If you don't like what I have to say then I'm sorry but I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

The complete lack of thought comes from the knee-jerk whiners.
    So what you're saying is that a fan(atic) shouldn't be fanatical about his/her team? Yeah, people get ticked about losses...have been since the invention of sports. It doesn't mean they're all wrong just because they never coached or decided that the coach could have done a better job.

Do you think that the only place people are saying this is on this forum? There are other Sooner sites and I am pretty sure the same bs is flowing just like it is here.

As far as Switzer goes he was in a lot of trouble, because we weren't winning enough in some peoples opinion, and there was a writer from the Daily Oklahoma making it his personal quest to get Barry fired. If the internet had existed back in the day I feel pretty confident he would have been gone.
    I was 4 then, don't know much about that scenario. But I feel confident that with 2 championships under his belt and a pretty significant win/loss record, his job was safe, regardless of the stance of one DO writer and a few fans. Same with Bob. But the reality is that Bob now (and Barry then) is the coach, and they are responsible for the loss as the head coach. Even they will tell you that.

But when it comes down to it, all the administration cares about is results. Bob is here to stay, no matter what any fan has to say. And I'm more than happy about that. It doesn't mean that I can't point out his mistakes.

If you don't like what I have to say then I'm sorry but I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours.
    It's not your opinion that's the problem. If you wish to ignore the team's and coach's deficiencies, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that you, and plenty of others like you, scathingly denounce people for criticizing coaches using the extremely flawed philosophy that just because we haven't coached, we have no right to criticize. That's not only wrong, it's annoying. What's the point of a forum if everyone has the same opinion? This isn't Stoolwater where we're always on the rise and loving up our facilities.

Finally, even outside the forum, the dollars that I and others have donated to the university through attending the school, attending games, being a donor, or buying athletic equipment bearing the OU logo, give me PLENTY of right to complain about the coaches.

Sooner Benchwarmer SoonerInLubbock's Avatar
    vCash

^^WIN^^
    Last edited by SoonerInLubbock; 9/9/2009 at 01:29 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    So what you're saying is that a fan(atic) shouldn't be fanatical about his/her team? Yeah, people get ticked about losses...have been since the invention of sports. It doesn't mean they're all wrong just because they never coached or decided that the coach could have done a better job.

I was 4 then, don't know much about that scenario. But I feel confident that with 2 championships under his belt and a pretty significant win/loss record, his job was safe, regardless of the stance of one DO writer and a few fans. Same with Bob. But the reality is that Bob now (and Barry then) is the coach, and they are responsible for the loss as the head coach. Even they will tell you that.

But when it comes down to it, all the administration cares about is results. Bob is here to stay, no matter what any fan has to say. And I'm more than happy about that. It doesn't mean that I can't point out his mistakes.

It's not your opinion that's the problem. If you wish to ignore the team's and coach's deficiencies, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that you, and plenty of others like you, scathingly denounce people for criticizing coaches using the extremely flawed philosophy that just because we haven't coached, we have no right to criticize. That's not only wrong, it's annoying. What's the point of a forum if everyone has the same opinion? This isn't Stoolwater where we're always on the rise and loving up our facilities.

Finally, even outside the forum, the dollars that I and others have donated to the university through attending the school, attending games, being a donor, or buying athletic equipment bearing the OU logo, give me PLENTY of right to complain about the coaches.

You can be a fan without going off and wanting to fire everyone.

You're right you really don't know much about the Switzer situation.

I'm not ignoring anything I'm just not ready to declare that 2012 has already arrived. There might be problems but wanting to fire someone everytime we lose is not the answer.
    Last edited by Sooner24; 9/9/2009 at 02:44 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post

Great points!!!!
    The greatest thing in the world is...

Being both a grandma and a sooner!