Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Obama speech is up

Read it here.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Re: Obama speech is up

I will fully admit that I am amazed and proud of the responders here. Although one would think that because of the previous reactions to every little thing about Obama the national outcry would be echoed here. But that didn't happen. Even Tuba said, "Let them see it, he's the president." If that can happen, how far out there are the people railing against it?

Good job people.

vCash

It's a decent speech.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

OMG TEH SOCIALIZM!!!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!!!!

Is that what you were expecting, Boarder?
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Seriously, my original objections remain.

I have no problems with the speech itself. What I had a problem with is the Department of Education issuing what could be best described as a lesson plan. One that oversteps their bounds as a Federal agency.

Not a major violation, mind you. But one that the outcry did take care of, even if the outcry was over the top.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

The speech lasts longer than the average attention span of a student, so what's the point?

He isn't going to "fix" these kids by bombarding them with motivational speeches, no matter how inflated his self-image.

I’m working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn.
    Uhhh, no. The federal government does not fix up classrooms, or buy books and computers for schools. But the kids will think that now.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

So that is what everyone is all up in arms about? It's amazing what people get pissed off over.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

Yeah...

I agree that the Elementary School kids will definitely be well into their nap before PBHO finishes.

vCash

So that is what everyone is all up in arms about? It's amazing what people get pissed off over.
    You must not have read the lesson plans put out by the Education Department.

Leave the kids out of the political process. If you want to pour on your charm, take aim at us adults. We are mature enough to see through it all.

vCash

nope never once heard about the lesson plans just heard that he was going to address the schools.

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

yeah, I'd like to see the lesson plans...see if its a resource my teachers could use.
    Do it for the Polar bears.

vCash

nope never once heard about the lesson plans just heard that he was going to address the schools.
    Oh, they're a real hoot. http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

So this wasn't JUST a speech. It just so happens that the Department of Education created activities to coincide. The term is "orchestrated."

Once students finish, they will learn how inspirational our President is, and how he resonated with school children all over the nation. (Keep in mind, the activities don't ask IF he resonated, that is assumed.) They will hang up quotes of his on their classroom walls. (Why not just go full Stalinist and ask them to hang his picture while they are at it?)

The youngest kids are asked to describe why it is important that they listen to the president and other elected officials..."

Best of all, the youngest kids are urged to read "books about presidents and Barack Obama." (Notice that it's presidents AND Barack Obama. We wouldn't want kids just to read about Ford or Lincoln and leave Barack Obama out of it.)

He is inspiring. He resonates. You should read more about him. You should hang his quotes on your classroom walls.

You can't see the problem with that? Seriously?

The worse thing, none of the activities are really going to help kids in their schoolwork. It's ten minutes of wasted class time coupled with a bunch of activities that teach nothing. But many of these kids already don't learn enough in school.

Now, stay tuned for the governor's speech to our state's kids during the time in which they were supposed to be learning math. And the local state assemblyman also wants his day in the sun, too. And why not? They're elected by the parents of the school population, too.

vCash

well, the questions involved in the lesson plan are great for discussions:

What do you think it takes to be president? (higher level, inferencing)
    To whom do you think the president is going to be speaking? (author's purpose)

If you were president what would you tell students?

What new ideas and actions is the president challenging me to think about?

What would you like to tell the president?

Create posters of their goals

Write letters to themselves about short term and long term goals.

You know these questions are pretty generic and are probably happening daily in the classrooms.

You are reaching dude.
    Do it for the Polar bears.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

You know who else encouraged children to work hard and think critically?

Hitler.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    You know who else encouraged children to work hard and think critically?

Hitler.

BRILLIANT!

vCash

I didn't say that every question was propaganda. They couldn't pull that off even if they wanted to. After all, if you want to get a message across when it isn't appropriate, you have to couch it among a lot of innocent looking stuff. They tried with the "What can you do to help the president?" question, but they got caught and had to remove it. (They couldn't have developed that question without seeing the political undertones.)

BTW, asking students "What do you think it takes to be president?" doesn't teach kids to infer. It will only elicit responses like "you have to be good, you have to be smart, you have to be real honest, you have to be a great leader" which is exactly what this was all about in the first place.

Besides, the speech is supposed to be about each student doing his best to be whatever he or she wants to be. There was no need to mention anything about the president at all.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 A Sooner in Texas's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard View Post
    Oh, they're a real hoot. http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

So this wasn't JUST a speech. It just so happens that the Department of Education created activities to coincide. The term is "orchestrated."

Once students finish, they will learn how inspirational our President is, and how he resonated with school children all over the nation. (Keep in mind, the activities don't ask IF he resonated, that is assumed.) They will hang up quotes of his on their classroom walls. (Why not just go full Stalinist and ask them to hang his picture while they are at it?)

The youngest kids are asked to describe why it is important that they listen to the president and other elected officials..."

Best of all, the youngest kids are urged to read "books about presidents and Barack Obama." (Notice that it's presidents AND Barack Obama. We wouldn't want kids just to read about Ford or Lincoln and leave Barack Obama out of it.)

He is inspiring. He resonates. You should read more about him. You should hang his quotes on your classroom walls.

You can't see the problem with that? Seriously?

The worse thing, none of the activities are really going to help kids in their schoolwork. It's ten minutes of wasted class time coupled with a bunch of activities that teach nothing. But many of these kids already don't learn enough in school.

Now, stay tuned for the governor's speech to our state's kids during the time in which they were supposed to be learning math. And the local state assemblyman also wants his day in the sun, too. And why not? They're elected by the parents of the school population, too.
    I can remember growing up with pictures of whoever the president was at the time in classrooms...and occasionally the "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" also displayed prominently in a few classrooms as well. I just don't understand how it's Stalinist to display a picture of the president of our country - especially in classrooms where history and civics are (hopefully) taught. Most presidents have addressed students in one form or another, but somehow for Obama it's a terrible thing?
    I really, truly don't get this kind of weird paranoia and where it comes from.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

The boogie man is alive and well. Especially, if he is dark complected.

vCash

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"
    Replace the word "country" with "president" and tell me what you think. Still cool? Hmmmm?

Civics isn't about doing what the president tells you to do. We have always had the philosophy that, while the president is important and his ideas should be respected and taken seriously, he is not a king and we shouldn't just blindly do as he says.

I really, truly don't get this kind of weird paranoia and where it comes from.
    I know you don't. If Kennedy had said, "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your president," you probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

But I would have.

We need to recognize that the president is the leader of a political party and has an agenda. They all do. This wasn't about motivating kids. This was about political gain.

The speech was not so bad as the activities created by the Feds to hand out to schoolchildren, which really come off as something you would see in a banana republic.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard View Post
    I didn't say that every question was propaganda. They couldn't pull that off even if they wanted to. After all, if you want to get a message across when it isn't appropriate, you have to couch it among a lot of innocent looking stuff. They tried with the "What can you do to help the president?" question, but they got caught and had to remove it. (They couldn't have developed that question without seeing the political undertones.)

BTW, asking students "What do you think it takes to be president?" doesn't teach kids to infer. It will only elicit responses like "you have to be good, you have to be smart, you have to be real honest, you have to be a great leader" which is exactly what this was all about in the first place.

Besides, the speech is supposed to be about each student doing his best to be whatever he or she wants to be. There was no need to mention anything about the president at all.
    That last part is ****ing laughable.
    uhhh, ok.

Damn River Oaks Elem. for having that bust of G Washington with "I cannot tell a lie" underneath it!!! It was just Federalist propaganda!!! I feel so cheated!
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene