Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Keith Nichol not the starter..but will play

Michigan State has tabbed sophomore Kirk Cousins as its starting quarterback for Saturday's season opener against Montana State.

Head coach Mark Dantonio announced Cousins as the starter Tuesday but added that sophomore Keith Nichol, a transfer from Oklahoma who paced Cousins throughout the spring and summer, will play as well. Cousins served as Brian Hoyer's backup last season and completed 74.4 percent of his passes for 310 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

"It was probably the most difficult decision I've had in reference to starting a particular player since I've been a head coach," Dantonio said. "They played very well, they show good leadership, they make plays on the field and they've had good camps and great springs.

"But in the end, it was Kirk's experience on the game field in Spartan Stadium, a little bit more game experience, more game management, that allowed him to get the nod."

Nichol sat out last season after transferring and last played in 2007, when he had seven pass attempts for Oklahoma. Both Cousins and Nichol put up the same statistics in Michigan State's spring game -- 357 pass yards, 4 touchdowns -- and Nichol seemed to have the statistical edge in several preseason scrimmages.

Dantonio said both quarterbacks handled the decision well. Nichol is also expected to play in the first half of Saturday's game, but both quarterbacks indicated to ESPN.com last week that the team wants to identify a clear starter by the time it visits Notre Dame on Sept. 19.

Last week, Cousins became just the second sophomore in Michigan State's 112-year history to be named a team captain, but his selection didn't play a major role in Dantonio's decision about the starter.

"We're not going to allow our players to just pick the quarterback," Dantonio said. "Kirk did an outstanding job in being named a captain as a redshirt sophomore. & We expect everybody to lead and there are certain positions, like quarterback, that the position of leadership goes with the territory."

Dantonio also tabbed redshirt freshman Caulton Ray as the team's starting running back. True freshmen Larry Caper and Edwin Baker are listed as co-backups on the team's depth chart.
    Bazinga

Support Landry Jones! CK Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Keith Nichol not the starter..but will play

I have a feeling that he would have never seen the field here. Good luck to him and hopefully he overtakes him eventually.

vCash

Kid should have stayed @ OU, ok maybe not he would have never seen the field this year.. only in mop up duty. I thought for sure he would have been the starter at MSU maybe he'll take the starting nod throughout the season
    "I have had it with these motherf*ckin’ snakes on this motherf*ckin’ plane!” -Samuel L. Jackson

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I get the feeling from all I heard in the offseason that he will probably be the guy by Notre Dame or the next week
    Bazinga

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Keith's problem here seemed to be that when he got into the game, he was way, WAY too excited to be in the game. His pass attempts were overthrown and he would sometimes make weird decisions which probably came from in-game jitters.

I wonder if he has the same problem in Spartyville. It's too bad, because I think he's extremely talented and thought for a second after watching him in spring practices (AWESOME deep balls and good running ability) that he would be our starter... this is why coaches get paid big bucks and I sit in the stands.

All Nichol needs to do is CALM DOWN. Once he settles, he will be every bit the quarterback that he recruited him to be and will shine for Michigan State. Go "Iceman!"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Good luck Iceman!
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

at least he gets his school paid for..

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Word here is that Nichol won the starting job but D'Antonio named Cousins the starter because the players voted Cousins a team captain.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

If that's true, Wow! So by implication, does that mean they expect Cousins to drop the ball so they can put Nichol in and avoid controversy?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BillyBall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    Word here is that Nichol won the starting job but D'Antonio named Cousins the starter because the players voted Cousins a team captain.
    That's what I read in the Chicago Tribune yesterday morning. Cousins is the first sophomore to be named a captain so there was an element of pressure.
    Last edited by BillyBall; 9/3/2009 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm not a big lover of diversity..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    If that's true, Wow! So by implication, does that mean they expect Cousins to drop the ball so they can put Nichol in and avoid controversy?
    The players might be trying to send Nichol a message - remember that he was from the state of Michigan and originally committed to Michigan State and was a highly-touted recruit... but then Heupel and Stoops came in and said he had the opportunity to complete to be the next starting quarterback for Oklahoma.

He probably did something that most players will not be able to get over right away. None of them were highly-touted recruits that got to play for a top program and complete for conference championships and potentially national titles (although I must say MSU has us beat in the 'mascot coolness' category)

Nichol still has to earn back the respect of the players he "shunned" a few years ago. I think he will, he just has to work hard and play well.

vCash

I wont read into that rumor, I think that the coaches wouldn't do something like that
    "I have had it with these motherf*ckin’ snakes on this motherf*ckin’ plane!” -Samuel L. Jackson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

If the players are trying to make a statement on their choice for QB.....then that's why they're Michigan St....a wannabe.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

badger's speculation is just that, her speculation.

When I said Nichol 'won' the competition for the job, he barely beat out Cousins. The only conspiracy you can see from coaches to be honest is that they allowed the input of the players to be the final point that put Cousins in the starting role over Nichol.

Cousins wasn't voted a captain because Nichol chose Oklahoma over Michigan State 3 years ago, he was voted a captain because he does have some leadership ability.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

I hope that if Nichol gets the chance he makes the most of it.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CK Sooner View Post
    I have a feeling that he would have never seen the field here. Good luck to him and hopefully he overtakes him eventually.
    This.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    badger's speculation is just that, her speculation.
    it's true - i really don't care about michigan state unless they bust the bcs for us... which they probably won't because their ringer's gone.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

He will become the starter if they lose a game they shouldn't. The fans will pressure it
    "The WNBA is a lesbian festival" - Jim Traber

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    (although I must say MSU has us beat in the 'mascot coolness' category)
    A Spartan with an over-sized head that looks more like a green Roman centurion is cooler than a covered wagon with two live ponies pulling it? Now if you mean the other Sooner mascots, I guess.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

Keith Nichol leading the Spartans to a win over Notre Dame kinda has a nice ring to it, I would like to see that happen.
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup