Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Hey teachers! Better not pray in Pensecola. You'll land in the pokey

After reading this story, there is no way anyone can be deceived that the ACLU wants to criminalize the PERSONAL practice of Christianity.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...home_headlines
    Neg if you must
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Hey teachers! Better not pray in Pensecola. You'll land in the pokey

I like how I can tell the difference between institutional and personal beliefs and you can't, I can also tell the difference between a court of law and the ACLU, do you really want another depantsing as bad as the last time you posted your dreck?
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

"The defendants all admitted wrongdoing," said Daniel Mach, director of litigation for its freedom of religion program. "For example, the Pace High School teachers handbook asks teachers to 'embrace every opportunity to inculcate, by precept and example, the practice of every Christian virtue.' "
    Yep, sounds real PERSONAL to me.

Mr. Staver said the district also agreed to forbid senior class President Mary Allen from speaking at the school's May 30 graduation ceremony on the chance that the young woman, a known Christian, might say something religious.
    Now this is pretty stupid. If she wants to talk about how her personal values guided her through school or something, who cares?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Holy ****. Has anyone looked up the meaning of the word "inculcate"?

1. to implant by repeated statement or admonition; teach persistently and earnestly (usually fol. by upon or in): to inculcate virtue in the young.
    2. to cause or influence (someone) to accept an idea or feeling (usually fol. by with): Socrates inculcated his pupils with the love of truth.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

They shouldn't be arrested, unless the charges are for stupidity.

vCash

"a known Christian"

glad to see some progress being made here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Here's what I find ironic.

In response, many members of the 300-plus-member student body taped crosses to their mortarboards and stood for an impromptu recitation of the Lord's Prayer during the ceremony.
    The Lord's Prayer is Matthew 6:9-13.

Matthew 6:5-6 (right before the Lord's Prayer) is

5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

Back in 1995 the Supreme Court ruled that students could initiate school prayer outside of class time. This means that Before school during lunch and after school (clubs). Staff were not to initiate prayers and many of the students and teacher at my high school would hold hands out front and pray silently around the flag pole. The fact that the student body president wasn't allowed to speak is a bunch of crap!

The seperation according to the SCOTUS is student initiated and not staff initiated. Unfourtuanately, the sep of church and state has been basterdized too much. I think most scholars would agree that it was intended to keep religious freedom as in no national church or laws governing religion not that students and teachers could not pray. Congress prays everyday when it is in session. The cogressional members have a member of their church or clergy come to D.C. and pray to open each day. It has been like that for 200+ years!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

How many of us on here were in high school and always had a local minister pray before football games?

Heck, I remember when I attended grade school at Morrison we had a lady come to the school and actually teach some bible lessons to the entire grade school.

Nobody complained about it that I remember . . . nobody felt like their rights were violated that I know of . . .

"For example, the Pace High School teachers handbook asks teachers to 'embrace every opportunity to inculcate, by precept and example, the practice of every Christian virtue.'
    Yep . . . that's definitely a bad thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

For example, the Pace High School teachers handbook asks teachers to 'embrace every opportunity to inculcate, by precept and example, the practice of every Islamic virtue
    Now is it a bad thing?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_The_Grey View Post
    Now is it a bad thing?
    Why is that always everyone's typical comeback against anything Christian?

Are kids forced to participate?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Religion has NO place in a publicly funded school.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    Religion has NO place in a publicly funded school.
    Why?

vCash

Because I don't believe in indoctrinating our youth?

Because enabling the promotion of one mythology over another is inherently bigoted?

Because the longer we spend promoting tribal/dichotomous dogma to flourish the longer we avoid transcending it?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Bob View Post
    Why is that always everyone's typical comeback against anything Christian?

Are kids forced to participate?
    would you want your kids hearing the tenets of Islam at school from teachers everyday?

you might think that hearing about Christianity at school is a good idea for your kid, but i wouldn't.

vCash

but yeah, not letting a student speak because they might say something religious is going a touch too far

vCash

Because I don't believe in indoctrinating our youth?
    So allowing a public prayer is the equivalent of brainwashing?

Because enabling the promotion of one mythology over another is inherently bigoted?
    The world is inherently bigoted . . .

Because the longer we spend promoting tribal/dichotomous dogma to flourish the longer we avoid transcending it?

You'll never transcend Christianity . . . you're (we're) too small to comprehend it.

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    would you want your kids hearing the tenets of Islam at school from teachers everyday?
    Islam is a part of our world history . . . if taught in conjunction with the tenets of other religions I would honestly have no problem with my kids learning about the religions of the world.

you might think that hearing about Christianity at school is a good idea for your kid, but i wouldn't.
    Apparently a lot of you don't think hearing about Christianity anywhere is a good idea. I would never consider leaving my children learning about Christianity to a school or even a church.

vCash

So allowing a public prayer is the equivalent of brainwashing?
    Allowing a non-school directed prayer or prayer group to exist beyond the hours in which school is in session is fine. School directed prayer is brainwashing.

The world is inherently bigoted . . .
    So we should just keep perpetuating that?

You'll never transcend Christianity . . . you're (we're) too small to comprehend it.
    I'm too small to comprehend the universe. I'm not too small to comprehend the mythology of a culture.

Islam is a part of our world history . . . if taught in conjunction with the tenets of other religions I would honestly have no problem with my kids learning about the religions of the world.
    Agreed.

Apparently a lot of you don't think hearing about Christianity anywhere is a good idea. I would never consider leaving my children learning about Christianity to a school or even a church.
    Apparently a lot of you don't think hearing about rational, free thought anywhere is good idea...

vCash

If people want to worship invisible sky gods that don't want us touching ourselves...than that's their beezwax.

Just keep it out of my tax funded public schools.
    Member of the extremely narcissistic
    Olephart pooosey.

vCash

Allowing a non-school directed prayer or prayer group to exist beyond the hours in which school is in session is fine. School directed prayer is brainwashing.
    School directed = ?

Prayer lead by a teacher during school hours?

So we should just keep perpetuating that?
    I think that will happen no matter what. Focusing on the "evils" of prayer in school IMO in no way perpetuates bigotry.

I'm too small to comprehend the universe. I'm not too small to comprehend the mythology of a culture.
    Then why not allow religious aspects of a culture to be taught alongside the rest of the culture's history?

Apparently a lot of you don't think hearing about rational, free thought anywhere is good idea...
    Since I'm for prayer means I'm irrational and incapable of free thought? I'm allowing people to think freely . . . even if that includes prayer of any kind.

Would you be offended by my family praying before a meal in a public restaurant?