Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 adoniijahsooner's Avatar
    vCash

J.C. Watts screaming bloody racism...

in the baptist church. He say white folk, like only white fish, but he eat any ole kind of fish. To be honest, I thought racism was out of style until youtube and the election of Barack Obama. Any thoughts...

http://newsok.com/former-u.s.-rep.-j...ad_story_title

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Re: J.C. Watts screaming bloody racism...

Wow, I don't read it that way at all.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Uhhmmm....are you dizzy yet?

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklaPony's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adoniijahsooner View Post
    in the baptist church. He say white folk, like only white fish, but he eat any ole kind of fish. To be honest, I thought racism was out of style until youtube and the election of Barack Obama. Any thoughts...

http://newsok.com/former-u.s.-rep.-j...ad_story_title
    Wow, you ran that story through some kind of spin cycle to come up with that one...
    Pride '80 - '81

Whenever Jay Carney speaks, a logic-angel gets its wings ripped off.

My thoughts...article doesn't say anything about J.C. screaming anything.
    He states the Baptist church should be fishers of men and not hunters of men, excluding those that don't meet some criteria (race).

There is a big difference between this, describing a practice he feels is racist, and say calling someone racist because they dare to vocalize their opposition to the proposed health care plan because we have a black president who really, really, really wants to pass THIS plan as soon as possible.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Mooner View Post
    My thoughts...article doesn't say anything about J.C. screaming anything.
    He states the Baptist church should be fishers of men and not hunters of men, excluding those that don't meet some criteria (race).

There is a big difference between this, describing a practice he feels is racist, and say calling someone racist because they dare to vocalize their opposition to the proposed health care plan because we have a black president who really, really, really wants to pass THIS plan as soon as possible.
    Posted forwarded to Whitehouse.gov. Expect your perspective to be reeducated shortly. You'll thank me once you become a zombie like me too.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

There most definitely is racism in the church btw....Sunday is the most segregated day of the week...

Now fire away
    Bazinga

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The way I interpreted it, he suggested that churches should not cater to a specific race, but to all people of faith... so that you aren't seeing black Baptist churches and white Baptist churches, but just Baptist churches.

Quite frankly, as churches get larger, you'll probably see that type of split in any religion. Up north, there's only one Baptist church and all Baptists attend it... but down here where there's 100 in each community, of course you'll see some demographic splits. However, I have yet to see a church turn away someone for being white, black, Hispanic, etc.

vCash

He didnt quite scream it; but in my opinion it's unbelievable that we still need to comment on race relations in this country. I use to be a a member of a different denomination, and everyone knew that you would not get hired by the other conference if you were a different color; black's would not hire whites, and white's would not hire black's.

If Jesse or Al would have made those same statements, we would telling them attention whores to shut up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

If Jesse or Al would have made those same statements, we would telling them attention whores to shut up.
    but that's been their MO for how many decades now? Not so with Watts.

vCash

Whats funny is those guys are supposed to be ministers, but don't hardly deal with church related issues...because thats not where the money is
    Bazinga

vCash

Thumbs up Re: J.C. Watts screaming bloody racism...

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Whats funny is those guys are supposed to be ministers, but don't hardly deal with church related issues...because thats not where the money is
    It is unfortunate but it does take dough to keep them going.

Administrator
    vCash

I've always had a problem with people calling "self-segregation" racism. If a bunch of blacks wanna start a church and only invite blacks then that is self-segregation. Of course as long as you have self-segregation (black this, black that, hispanic this, hispanic that, asian this, asian that) you're going to perpetuate and foster further racism.

All the churches I ever went to were never "white churches" and there were the occasional blacks/asian/hispanic, but it was made very clear that "red and yellow, black or white, you are precious in His sight"

vCash

Who's sight...J.C.'s?

Oh that JC....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Watts is my fav

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    I've always had a problem with people calling "self-segregation" racism. If a bunch of blacks wanna start a church and only invite blacks then that is self-segregation. Of course as long as you have self-segregation (black this, black that, hispanic this, hispanic that, asian this, asian that) you're going to perpetuate and foster further racism.

All the churches I ever went to were never "white churches" and there were the occasional blacks/asian/hispanic, but it was made very clear that "red and yellow, black or white, you are precious in His sight"
    you notice some of the biggest churches are intergrated? Those mega churches that people put down are loaded with diversity, and i think that's why they grow so quickly.

Administrator
    vCash

you notice some of the biggest churches are intergrated? Those mega churches that people put down are loaded with diversity, and i think that's why they grow so quickly.
    Nah, they grow so quickly because there's a whole lot of folks out there searching for something and the rock & roll churches let them feel like they're doing something righteous, so they give lots and lots of $$ figuring it'll get them to heaven. Every one of those big growing churches ends up with bull**** and shenanigans eventually. Power struggles, politics, weird relationships, fallings in, fallings out, etc. Meh.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Nah, they grow so quickly because there's a whole lot of folks out there searching for something and the rock & roll churches let them feel like they're doing something righteous, so they give lots and lots of $$ figuring it'll get them to heaven. Every one of those big growing churches ends up with bull**** and shenanigans eventually. Power struggles, politics, weird relationships, fallings in, fallings out, etc. Meh.
    so you believe it's more cultural preference than racism?

vCash

I've been in churches that members went up to people of different color and asked them to leave...its happened several times...Not by leadership, but by members of that church.....
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Get out my church, honky.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.