Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Seamus's Avatar
    vCash

Right-wing gun whackadoos, need yer help

I'm not a gun owner -- haven't been since me childhood -- but am thinking about it now.

I live in Cali, and they have a restriction (10-round) on magazines. Have always been interested in the M-16, so I am considering the AR-15. Primarily for target practice.

I realize it isn't much of a hunting rifle, should I decide to do that. If I did get into hunting, what would you recommend?

I haven't fully decided to do this, but I figure something this serious needs a fair amount of input and research.

Thanks for your input.
    8timechamps: The thought crossed my mind too. But, I'm too lazy to go back and reference every play from all the games. So, I'm just going to say "I agree", and if you're wrong, then let me be the first to call you a moron.

KantoSooner: More of this crap from the nanny generation. Wearing a Michigan shirt should earn you disdain or a beating on the playground, not administrative action. It's no wonder the youth of today are all pussies.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Right-wing gun whackadoos, need yer help

what's wrong with a .223 for hunting

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 1890MilesToNorman's Avatar
    vCash

We need info on rifles and wood blinds! Kin ya hep?
    God, how I hate the 21st century.

OleVet Posse - dung slinger
    Free Booze and Spam . What else could a Man want?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    what's wrong with a .223 for hunting
    .223 is the caliber for an AR-15, yes? Tell me more -- if an AR-15 is a reasonable hunting rifle, etc.
    8timechamps: The thought crossed my mind too. But, I'm too lazy to go back and reference every play from all the games. So, I'm just going to say "I agree", and if you're wrong, then let me be the first to call you a moron.

KantoSooner: More of this crap from the nanny generation. Wearing a Michigan shirt should earn you disdain or a beating on the playground, not administrative action. It's no wonder the youth of today are all pussies.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    .223 is the caliber for an AR-15, yes? Tell me more -- if an AR-15 is a reasonable hunting rifle, etc.
    Depends on what your hunt'n.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Sorry I cant help you
    Ima Flying Dickwheel
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

You can hunt deer and smaller animals with .223.

I wouldn't however. But that's just me.

I prefer 180 grain .30-06 for deer in open country. There are any number of good bolt-action rifles you can pick-up used at gun shows and what not for around $500.00.

Plan on spending around $350.00 for a decent optics package for same.

When I hunted in the SE US in dense foliage where most of the shots were under 30 yds, I used my good old Winchester Model 94 firing 30-30 over iron sights. Not so effective west of the Mississippi. Your mileage may vary.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

you can get an AR-15 chambered in .308 if you're worried about the .223 not having enough punch.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Any long Winchesters still out there, buffalo bill style? You would have to duck if you were firing from the top of the bluff!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Buy a shotgun instead.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Buy a camera.

Buy a shotgun with a camera on it, chambered in .308.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

vCash

Shotgun, meh. Not so much for target practice.

Okla-homey, excellent insight. Thanks. Any manufacturers you recommend for/against?

Thanks to all, btw.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Homey's advice is spot on. The 30-06 Springfield is the most versatile caliber available for hunting in North America. I wouldn't reccommend it for Elk, Moose, Grizzly or Polar Bears but all have been killed using it.

The Remington Model 700 and Ruger M77 Hawkeye are a couple of reliable bolt action rifles available in that caliber at reasonable prices.

For plinking at the range or home defense the AR 15 is a better choice IMHO. But putting a 10 round clip in an AR 15 is like putting a four cylinder engine in a Corvette.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by captain_surly View Post
    Homey's advice is spot on. The 30-06 Springfield is the most versatile caliber available for hunting in North America. I wouldn't reccommend it for Elk, Moose, Grizzly or Polar Bears but all have been killed using it.

The Remington Model 700 and Ruger M77 Hawkeye are a couple of reliable bolt action rifles available in that caliber at reasonable prices.

For plinking at the range or home defense the AR 15 is a better choice IMHO. But putting a 10 round clip in an AR 15 is like putting a four cylinder engine in a Corvette.
    FWIW, I own a Browning A-bolt in 30-06. It is a veritable tack-driver. I equipped it with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 scope. I am fond of 30-06 because you can find and buy it virtually anywhere that sells ammo, from a gas station in Alaska to a Wal-mart in Puerto Rico. Not so the more "boutique" calibers.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

For a superior bolt action rifle at a very competitive price I'm fond of the Tikka T3 line of rifles. They can be had in .270, 30-06, .308 & many of the other hunting calibers.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

If you like the scary black rifles but you still want the option to be able to hunt most big game animals with, the AR-10 is chambered in .308.

Then you could mount your camera to it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    You can hunt deer and smaller animals with .223.

I wouldn't however. But that's just me.

I prefer 180 grain .30-06 for deer in open country. There are any number of good bolt-action rifles you can pick-up used at gun shows and what not for around $500.00.

Plan on spending around $350.00 for a decent optics package for same.

When I hunted in the SE US in dense foliage where most of the shots were under 30 yds, I used my good old Winchester Model 94 firing 30-30 over iron sights. Not so effective west of the Mississippi. Your mileage may vary.
    ^^^ THIS

Couldn't agree more with everything in this post.
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush

vCash

Where I hunting deer with a .30-06 in open country I'd use a 150 grain bullet. More velocity & flatter shooting than a 180 grain bullet, and more than enough bullet for deer.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

I've killed more deer with my Model 94 Winchester 30-30 using iron sights than any other gun I own.
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush