Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

SCOTUS rules in blow to "affirmative action"

If you have a hiring test, and decide to throw out your test in order to hire people who didn't pass, that's not allowed. Thus saieth the Supremes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901608_pf.html
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Re: SCOTUS rules in blow to "affirmative action"

interesting, you say it was a 'hiring test'. Other places say it was a 'promotion test'.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    interesting, you say it was a 'hiring test'. Other places say it was a 'promotion test'.
    Same diff. Lots of lessons from this case. Including among them it's legally risky to dumb-down hiring/admissions standards in the interest of promoting diversity.

In this particular case, the FD gave a test for lieutenant promotions. No black folks passed, so the city decided not to promote anyone. The folks who passed sued, and SCOTUS agreed they got scru-ed.
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 6/29/2009 at 07:20 PM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

I think we're missing the key point here:

Somewhere there's a judge named "Robert Sack"
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Justice Ginsburg said something to the effect that she does not think this decision will be enduring. Given the currect administration's propensity to deal with what it deems to be disappointments by either legislation or executive order, she may be right.

Can you say Promotions Czar?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlbqSooner View Post
    Justice Ginsburg said something to the effect that she does not think this decision will be enduring. Given the currect administration's propensity to deal with what it deems to be disappointments by either legislation or executive order, she may be right.

Can you say Promotions Czar?
    I'm with the Chief Justice; the surest and most direct way to end discrimination is to stop discriminating.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

What a concept!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner ngintunr's Avatar
    vCash

Why not end discrimination by institutionalizing it? Makes perfect sense.

Government, uh, I mean dear leader always knows what is fair.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Institutionalize Racism - Leaders will have to step up. Little girls from both or all races only apply BCS logic to it. If you are going to compete, just simply compete... If you need help to compete, please don't be 30 + years old with a vendetta.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

This is how judges should legislate from the bench. They did the right thing today.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    This is how judges should legislate from the bench. They did the right thing today.
    From what I understand of this case, what the SCOTUS did was legislating from the bench. What Sotomayor did was to simply interpret the law as it was at the time on the books in Conn. No?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny*Mack* View Post
    From what I understand of this case, what the SCOTUS did was legislating from the bench. What Sotomayor did was to simply interpret the law as it was at the time on the books in Conn. No?

That's precisely the way the White House is spinning it. Did you get their memo or something?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I was in the car, driving from Dallas to Tulsa, listening to one of many XM talk stations. So it's definitely possible.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    Same diff. Lots of lessons from this case. Including among them it's legally risky to dumb-down hiring/admissions standards in the interest of promoting diversity.

In this particular case, the FD gave a test for lieutenant promotions. No black folks passed, so the city decided not to promote anyone. The folks who passed sued, and SCOTUS agreed they got scru-ed.
    Not quite the same difference, but thank you for the clarification.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

From what I read on the Huffington Post, what the SCOTUS did was legislating from the bench. What Sotomayor did was to simply interpret the law as it was at the time on the books in Conn. No?
    Fixed.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

vCash

I was in the car, driving from Dallas to Tulsa, listening to one of many XM talk stations. So it's definitely possible.
    My apologies, JM, I didn't see this post before I popped off. That'll learn me to reach the end of the thread before I open my mouth.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

vCash

From what I heard on NPR, what the SCOTUS did was legislating from the bench. What Sotomayor did was to simply interpret the law as it was at the time on the books in Conn. No?
    Refixed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

pretty funny how in the last 5 months the partisans have discovered hypocrisy, corruption, and the absurd media drama that is american politics like it's something new.

it all looks pretty shabby when YOUR buttons aren't the ones being pushed, eh?
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I'm with the Chief Justice; the surest and most direct way to end discrimination is to stop discriminating.
    Surely you know how these tests have been used historically and why they're suspect now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

They created new precedent. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it legislating from the bench (though that hasn't stopped me from calling it that in discussions with my more conservative friends ).