Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

NBA Draft Rumors...

First of all, contrary to popular belief, the Clippers ARE taking Blake Griffin, barring a trade-down scenario of some sort that involves Baron Davis' contract.

That's when it gets weird.

It's looking like a forgone conclusion that Memphis is going to take Thabeet at Number 2. That leaves us with a shot at Rubio, but, taking Rubio, a point guard, would force Westbrook to the 2, not to mention bench our best perimeter defender in Sefolosha. (Also, there's the option of Rubio coming off of the bench... something he's not coming to the U.S. to do... And, there's the, "he won't want to play for OKC" thing... Same as Blake. Yeah, I said it.)

BUT...

- Thunder trade #3 overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft to the Washington Wizards for the #5 overall pick, and JaVale McGee. We could then Harden at #5. So, we'd pick up two athletic front court players, something we're drastically lacking, and not do anything to slow the progress of our All-Rookie performer from a year before. (Say what you want, but drafting someone a year after you who plays the same position as you is NOT a vote of confidence.)

Sound okay?

Apparently it's been discussed.

-----

My thoughts...

- While I like the above trade scenario, I'd like to see us take Jordan Hill even more. If we can get a 2010 pick instead of McGee, I'd like that, because there's a chance that we could still get Hill at #5 this year, and pick up what will likely be a decent pick in a much deeper draft next year.

-----

Your thoughts?

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Re: NBA Draft Rumors...

Just spitballing here:

• Clips draft Griffin, Grizz take Thabeet
    • Thunder draft Rubio
    • Clips trade Davis & Griffin to OKC for Rubio, the Thunder's other first round pick, and whatever else(future picks, expiring contracts).
    • Thunder trade Davis to Golden State for Ronny Turiaf (or some other team in need of a PG that can send a PF OKC's way).

Well?

vCash

Trading an All-Star and the number one overall pick, and the only pick in this year's draft that's widely considered a "sure thing," for an unproven point guard, and a lower pick in the weakest draft in a long time.

If anybody not named Isiah Thomas or Chris Wallace would make this trade, it's the Clippers, but I don't think even THEY are that stupid. (If OKC did make a trade to GSW, though, I'd like to see us get Randolph.)

the_ouskull

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Well, that kinda was my point - it IS the Clippers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mixer! View Post
    Well, that kinda was my point - it IS the Clippers.
    Let's trade them Ricky Rubio for Blake Griffin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull View Post
    Trading an All-Star and the number one overall pick, and the only pick in this year's draft that's widely considered a "sure thing," for an unproven point guard, and a lower pick in the weakest draft in a long time.

If anybody not named Isiah Thomas or Chris Wallace would make this trade, it's the Clippers, but I don't think even THEY are that stupid. (If OKC did make a trade to GSW, though, I'd like to see us get Randolph.)

the_ouskull
    I think they would take both of next years 1st rounders and Rubio for Griffin. Next year will be a much deeper draft.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~ Confucius

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

are you ever gonna stop signing your posts, skull?

the_oubadger

vCash

Probably not. Everybody has "a thing." I guess that that's mine, 'cause I've been doing it a lot longer than I've been being a d*ck to people. I only really started doing that about, well, I don't remember... when did people around here start getting really stupid? I mean, not just a little stupid, but like, REALLY stupid, in greater numbers than ever before? It's like William Shockley is one of the admins of the board now...

I'm going to have to keep being a d*ck until people educate themselves on the topic at hand, as well as in general, before pressing "Post Quick Reply" or whatever. And, as long as I'm being a d*ck, I guess I'll just keep signing posts. (Also, losing my old avatar didn't help matters any... whatever happened to unlimited free hosting? Geez.)

the_ouskull; just wishing that people were smarter... (You're okay, though, Badg..)

vCash

Since the Clippers will likely be a lottery team next year as well, what if the Thunder trade them their #3 pick for the Clips' lottery slot next year?

-or-

The Thunder draft Rubio, then trade him to whoever drafts Harden for him & a future pick(s).

vCash

Probably not. Everybody has "a thing." I guess that that's mine, 'cause I've been doing it a lot longer than I've been being a d*ck to people. I only really started doing that about, well, I don't remember... when did people around here start getting really stupid? I mean, not just a little stupid, but like, REALLY stupid, in greater numbers than ever before? It's like William Shockley is one of the admins of the board now...

I'm going to have to keep being a d*ck until people educate themselves on the topic at hand, as well as in general, before pressing "Post Quick Reply" or whatever. And, as long as I'm being a d*ck, I guess I'll just keep signing posts. (Also, losing my old avatar didn't help matters any... whatever happened to unlimited free hosting? Geez.)

the_ouskull; just wishing that people were smarter... (You're okay, though, Badg..)

He didn't sign it!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs down Re: NBA Draft Rumors...

BUT...

- Thunder trade #3 overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft to the Washington Wizards for the #5 overall pick, and JaVale McGee. We could then Harden at #5. So, we'd pick up two athletic front court players, something we're drastically lacking, and not do anything to slow the progress of our All-Rookie performer from a year before. (Say what you want, but drafting someone a year after you who plays the same position as you is NOT a vote of confidence.)

Sound okay?

Apparently it's been discussed.

-----

My thoughts...

- While I like the above trade scenario, I'd like to see us take Jordan Hill even more. If we can get a 2010 pick instead of McGee, I'd like that, because there's a chance that we could still get Hill at #5 this year, and pick up what will likely be a decent pick in a much deeper draft next year.

-----

Your thoughts?

the_ouskull
    Westbrook was a top ten pick last year, he made the all rookie team, and actually was in the top ten of more categories than any rookie if I remember correctly. They either keep him and dont draft a pg or trade him and I dont see that.

We need two things desperately IMHO, a shooter and a banger down low that will play D and doesnt have to score more than about 10 ppg.

I hope it looks something like this, trade from #3 to the 5-10 range. Draft Harden, Ellington, or Curry. If we dont take a shooter then take Jordan Hill or use the later pick on Taj Gibson perhaps.

If we do take a shooter then I hope we go after a banger in Free Agency as I explained earlier.

If by chance we did trade Westbrook I wouldnt mind using the higher pick on Harden and a lower one on Maynor, I think that kid will be a stud

Past that I really havent looked into free agency too much or draft pick scenarios if trades occured so those are the players I would like to see
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I'm going to have to keep being a d*ck until people educate themselves on the topic at hand, as well as in general, before pressing "Post Quick Reply" or whatever.
    F***, man, how do ya think I got so many posts?

(come to think of it, I've heard people complain that my posts are lengthy and boring)

Annnndddd.... QUICK REPLY!

vCash

i think we will probably end up involved in a trade of some sort, but it WILL NOT be for blake griffin. something like the scenario ou_skull laid out involving the wizards makes sense. i just don't see us taking rubio, but i could be wrong. i just don't understand how people don't think westbrook will be a true point. he had several 10+ assist games this year, that is difficult to do if you don't have some point guard skills.

vCash

Not if you're athletic and your shooters are hot. It's not fun to guard sick, unselfish athletes. But, yeah, I think that he can develop into a quality NBA point guard. Ball handling and defense are what we need from him. He'll develop into a shooter eventually.

Badg, you are lucky Colbert's Threat Down is on and that I don't have time to respond.

the_ouskull

Post Script -- Eielson, I signed the post to which you are referring. You really DON'T read the posts that the grown-ups write, do you?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

I have one opinion on the draft that's only worthy of the quick reply. Don't draft Harden. That guy was super inconsistent throughout the regular season and basically failed in the NCAA tournament.

I don't see him turning that around in the NBA.

vCash

Post Script -- Eielson, I signed the post to which you are referring. You really DON'T read the posts that the grown-ups write, do you?
    Yeah, I didn't see it because I'm used to it being completely seperate at the bottom. I guess you win, but please stop making it sound like I'm a little kid and your a big grown-up. I find it a little creepy.

Sooner Benchwarmer theresonly1OU's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yeah, I didn't see it because I'm used to it being completely seperate at the bottom. I guess you win, but please stop making it sound like I'm a little kid and your a big grown-up. I find it a little creepy.
    Exactly what do you expect from a guy who made a sig out of other people's quotes about him?

As for the question at hand; I REALLY hope we steer clear of taking Davis or Randolph from the Clips for Griffin; as much as I would like to see him in a Thunder jersey, it isn't worth the headache that taking a contract like that would be worth.

If it were me in command of the ship, I would make it clear to everyone that we are taking Rubio, and that we are looking at any and all trade offers. This way we can shop him for the best possible trade, instead of settling for one from another lottery team.
    Last edited by theresonly1OU; 5/30/2009 at 02:38 PM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H.L. Mencken

vCash

That strategy works a H*ll of a lot better when you have the number one overall pick. Anything else, and you're taking who you have fall to you. If Thabeet's available, there's a pretty good chance we'll take him. If he's not, then maybe we take Rubio, maybe we don't. The trick is to have a contingency for every possible situation, and trades worked out with a handful of different teams, and then, when the clock's ticking, lean on them hard.

"Well, we've got two minutes to make a decision, which gives you 30 seconds. GO!"

If a team wants Rubio bad enough, they'll have done the same and they'll pull the trigger. If not, they were working us in the first place. The thing is, Presti's a good GM, and, so far, I trust him implicitly. I want to see how he's going to handle our cap situation and handle bringing in free agents to a small, (so far) unproven market like OKC before I give him a grade or anything, but so far, it's nice.

the_ouskull

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Whose abiggrown-up? It's not mine.

the_ouskull

vCash

what do you think about tyreke evans? seems like nobody is talking about him, and he could be the most talented player in this draft not named blake griffin. i don't know a lot about his game, other than he had a good freshman year.