Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Toby Keith to the rescue

A certain person, known to Mrs. Homey, is closely affiliated with the folks of Wayman's Tulsa church.

According to this person, the BOk Center folks asked who was paying the $35,000 fee on the public Tisdale memorial service held there today.

Apparently, Toby called Her Honor the Mayor and told her, "Look ma'am, we could have done this at the Noble Center for free, but Wayman loved Tulsa and chose to make Tulsa his home. Therefore, you need to make some calls on this bill from the BOk. I'll pay the money if necessary, but let's get with the program ma'am."

No mention of whether he threatened to "put a boot up," etc.

Also apparently, BOk backed off.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: Toby Keith to the rescue

At first glance, I thought this had to do with the anal bleaching.

Good stuff otherwise.
    Happiness is found at the bottom of a glass of crown and coke.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

I believe the fee for private use of the BOK Center is $15,000 but I can't speak to the rest of it except that I've always thought Toby Keith was a stand up guy for our state and our country.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

weak sauce from the BOK people. this also Homey's way of saying he actually knows (indirectly) a black person.

this kind of thing, the people who do security, parking and clean the toilets and whatnot get paid...but it shouldn't cost more than that....which isn't 30,000 for a couple hours on one day.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Donations power arena for funeral

Considering that the BOK Center has a $1.5 million annual utility bill, lighting and cooling the arena is an expensive endeavor.

Donors made it possible for Thursday's Wayman Tisdale funeral to be conducted at the BOK Center at no cost to the Tisdale family or the city of Tulsa. The donations came both from individuals and corporate entities.

"Several donors stepped forward and made donations through (the Wayman Tisdale Foundation). It will cover any of our expenses," said John Bolton, the BOK Center general manager. "We hope to just cover our costs, and we feel comfortable that the donations will make it possible."

After Tisdale died the morning of May 15, a family representative contacted city officials about using the new arena as the funeral venue. By that night, it had been decided that the service would be in the BOK Center.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/art...27&archive=yes

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The BOK Center has been acting funny since opening. They have had several events where they had poor crowd management (I can't remember who performed, I think it was Metallica, but people were lined up for hours outside waiting to get in because the BOK Center could get them in fast enough).

Then, the Tulsa Police Department made it known that they were logging extra overtime hours to keep the BOK Center area safe and needed money to fund it. The suggestion of adding a fee to BOK Center tix appalled the arena folk, as they thought it would distance promoters.

The center also has an eyesore of a problem on it's exterior that makes it look like it's rusting... it's not rust, but just ugly.

One of the funniest mishaps was one of the local minor league teams having to move one of its events so the mayor's daughter could have her wedding reception at the center... which when it was about to become public, the mayor's office suddenly changed their minds about which venue to have it at.

Something funny it going on with Tulsa leadership and the BOK Center... and it will likely continue with ONEOK Park (aka "new" Drillers Stadium) opens next spring.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    I believe the fee for private use of the BOK Center is $15,000 but I can't speak to the rest of it except that I've always thought Toby Keith was a stand up guy for our state and our country.
    Hey you, pipe down. Back to your cubicle.
    I taste terrific.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

OKC > Tulsa

Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The BOK Center has been acting funny since opening. They have had several events where they had poor crowd management (I can't remember who performed, I think it was Metallica, but people were lined up for hours outside waiting to get in because the BOK Center could get them in fast enough).
    It was Metallica. Fortunately, we had provisions, and room to set up lawn chairs in the parking garage.
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE View Post
    Hey you, pipe down. Back to your cubicle.
    I am out of my cubicle today.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Tob Keith and 35000 thats like me stopping and buying a hamburger.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    One of the funniest mishaps was one of the local minor league teams having to move one of its events so the mayor's daughter could have her wedding reception at the center... which when it was about to become public, the mayor's office suddenly changed their minds about which venue to have it at.

The Mayor's "office" had nothing to do with it. It was the Mayor herself that was going to lease/rent the BOK Center for her daughter's wedding, paid for from her own deep pockets. When the apparent conflict with the Talons game or whatever became known, they changed the venue for the wedding. There is no more to it than that.

The police department issue is because all City departments are struggling along with the economy and the accompanying sagging sales tax which funds the police and most everything else.

ONEOK Field is owned and operated by a public trust, not the Mayor or City, per se.

I don't know anything about the Metallica concert but they've been able to herd folks in just fine for more heavily attended events than Metallica AFAIK.

Outside of that, you were spot on.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

I am out of my cubicle today.
    did I say cubicle? I meant 'closet'
    I taste terrific.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE View Post
    did I say cubicle? I meant 'closet'
    I've been out of there for years!

vCash

This is kinda off topic, but illustrates that this is not uncommon for Toby.

I had a neighbor in Norman who was elderly but her middle aged daughter would come by frequently and help her out with stuff. The daughter worked for Toby in some fashion or another. She also drove a brand new F-250.

Well, turns out this truck was a lemon. She'd had them put like 3 separate transmissions in the truck among other things. Well, the dealer started giving her crap. Toby stepped in and being their spokesman, laid it down on the dealer. She ended up with a completely new, UPGRADED F-250. As irritating as I find his music, he seems like a good guy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BornandBred View Post
    As irritating as I find his music, he seems like a good guy.
    me too. i'm not big fan of the newish country scene. it's like bad "rock" lite to me with a pedal steel and some beer and lost girl lyrics to me.

but, i have no problem with Toby outside he kinda ruined the Belmar golf course.

vCash

What'd he do to Belmar?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BornandBred View Post
    What'd he do to Belmar?
    bought it with a group, build a lot of houses on the course, chopped down all the knee deep "natural grasses" to keep Joe shoot 100 happy.

it was a good play when it was just out in the open land and tall grass. now, it's just like any place else. a lesser version of Gallardia.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I used those as examples of questionable things surrounding the management of the BOK Center that I think will continue when ONEOK Park opens. The minor details don't matter on those issues, what matters is that these might be hints of stuff to come surrounding management of major Tulsa venues.

Oh... and kudos to Keith for making this happen, not that anyone in Tulsa wouldn't let it happen regardless

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    bought it with a group, build a lot of houses on the course, chopped down all the knee deep "natural grasses" to keep Joe shoot 100 happy.

it was a good play when it was just out in the open land and tall grass. now, it's just like any place else. a lesser version of Gallardia.
    Didn't know they cut down all the natural grasses. That makes me sad. Though, it'd prolly help my score. Drop one in that rough and it's gone.