Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayman Tisdale

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

OU Wayman Tisdale

I can still hear it. It's funny the things you remember from your childhood. I can barely see Michael Irvin chugging down the west sideline. I can also see Keith Jackson, #88, going for 88 up the east sideline.

But I can hear Wayman.

In the womb, and as a toddler, I took a seat at the Lloyd Noble Center in what was then Section LE-3. My first games as a human being were played in the fall of 1982 when OU featured a devastating freshman named Wayman Tisdale.

He was there with me as I grew up. There's my parents, video recorder in hand, videotaping their baby boy. That's me. I've got goofy, black sunglasses on and a microphone in my hand. Who's your favorite player, Brandon? I'd answer just like the PA guy would after another Wayman turnaround jumper..........."WAYMAN TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISDALE!"

Lots of kids wore #23 in basketball for Michael Jordan. Not me. I wore it for Wayman. Lots of people throw batting averages and stats around. I always remembered a cool one: 2,661. That's the number of points Wayman scored in three years at OU.

Lots of people came to OU Basketball this year and became fans. For them, the foundation of their fandom begins with Blake Griffin. I'm happy for them, but I'm different. Mine begins with Wayman Tisdale, the greatest basketball player in the history of the University of Oklahoma.

Next time OU Basketball comes up, don't forget to mention Wayman Tisdale. Talk about the turnaround jumper that was pure buttermilk. Remind people of the smile that had more wattage than your local power grid. Most of all, remind them of the person. I met him once, in 1997, and he was very, very kind. As far as I know, he was that way to everybody.

My favorite Sooner of all-time is gone, but I won't let him be forgotten. The record speaks for itself.

Points - 2,661 (25.6 PPG)
    Rebounds - 1,048 (10.1 RPG)

61 points against UT-San Antonio in 1984
    55 points against SW Texas in 1985
    51 points against Abilene Christian in 1983
    46 points against Iowa State in 1983
    44 points against Hawaii in 1983

Wayman played 104 games in Crimson and Cream. He went for more than 30 in 32 of them.

Goodbye, Wayman. You were the best, and I'll miss you.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Wayman Tisdale

Hear, hear. I never followed basketball when I was younger, so when I asked "Who's Wayman Tisdale?" to an OSU fan (at the time, he's converted now). He gave me the biggest WTF I've ever seen. His status in basketball truly is legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

R.I.P., Wayman.

Wayman is the only reason I follow Sooner basketball today. It's like part of your childhood passing too.
    "They are survivors. Come the apocalypse, the only thing left standing will be a handful of cockroaches and Bob Stoops and his Sooner squad." -hornfans-

vCash

Wayman, you were the best! I cried when you left OU and I cried this morning. You will always be remembered and loved!

vCash

I ran into Wayman several times in Tulsa over the last ten years,
    just out eating with his family. He was always most gracious
    and kind. What a shock! Grace to his family...
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    Einstein.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

My heart is breaking I just opened this thread without knowing the news. Unbelievable how hard to accept some losses. I was 12 in 1984 and much like the starter of this thread, it was Wayman who made me fall in love with OU basketball => go to bask camps at OU => meet my future brother-in-law => etc. Thanks Wayman for all the ways you have touched this world in a positive light.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJustice View Post
    Wayman, you were the best! I cried when you left OU and I cried this morning. You will always be remembered and loved!

This.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerShark's Avatar
    vCash

We knew he was ill, but he spent his last moments making us feel better so we were hopeful he was getting better. Now that he has passed, there is nobody to take up his spot in our life. My condolences go out to his family along with our thanks for sharing his life's moments with us.

Thanks for being a great example on and off the court, Wayman.

Prayers to his family and friends.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ardmore_Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I can't lie, I shed a few tears when I heard the news. But I just try to remember the fact that Wayman wouldn't want any of us to sit here and mourn his passing. He'd have the big grin on his face letting all of us know that it was all part of God's plan.

We'll miss you Wayman.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Amen Ardmore
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

He was one of the best and most consistent players I've seen come through Gallagher-Iba. He was classy then and remained a great ambassador for Oklahoma. He will be missed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

In 1997, as a recruiting ploy, Kelvin decided to retire Wayman's number in hopes of luring another Booker T. Washington product to Norman, a kid by the name of Ryan Humphrey.

I was in the Boy Scouts for six years, and I eventually earned the rank of Eagle. My dad was one of the assistant scoutmasters, so I rarely, if ever, missed one of the monthly campouts. When word came out that they'd be retiring Wayman's number, it just so happened to be on the same day as one of our campouts.

I went to Dad and asked if I could miss this one and go see Wayman. Normally my requests for missing were met with a swift answer of no. But Dad knew how much I loved Wayman, and it didn't take him long at all to say yes.

So I went to Norman that day and saw us stomp O-State pretty good. But the highlight of that day was meeting Wayman Tisdale and getting to shake his hand for the first, and ultimately only, time. If you thought that smile was radiant on TV, you have no idea how bright it was when you stood right next to him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Having seen most all the games he played I guess the three moments that stand out most to me were two games in the Big 8 tournament and the last game he ever played in that he won as a Sooner.

First memory was the 1984 Big 8 tournament championship game against Kansas. Tim McAlister let fly a shot from the top of the key, at the buzzer, that would have won the game. It didn't find its mark and I will never forget Wayman on the floor beating the court with his fist.

Memory number two was the next year also at the Big 8 tournament championship game. We were playing ISU and had the game wrapped up. The OU fans there were badly out numbered by the Cyclone fans but the chant started up "one more year" "one more year" for Wayman to come back for his senior season. As we were chanting the Iowa State fans started chanting too and as we got quite to hear what they were chanting it was "GO PRO!" "GO PRO!". He listened to them.

Last Wayman memory was the La Tech game in Dallas at the NCAA Regional. I am sure many have seen the shot WWT took that bounced around the rim forever but when it went in our whole section erupted.

Going to my sons graduation tonight at OU will be just a little bitter-sweet.
    Last edited by Sooner24; 6/25/2009 at 11:03 PM.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

Wayman and I are the same age and both entered OU as Freshmen in 1982. Wayman is my all time favorite OU athlete. He was as dominant in his day as any athlete that has played at OU in any sport. He was always gracious, upbeat, and seemed to have humility. I can't believe he's gone.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

I have the games he played against Syracuse ('84), Georgia Tech ('85) and Louisiana Tech ('85 NCAA Sweet 16 game) on tape. I'll have to take a look again, but I just hope I don't break down at those memories.

I only met him once, but I know he was of such good character that I'm still feeling it a bit.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Thanks 04, summed it up nicely. What an amazing player he was, but an even better person. That gets said too often in most cases, but won't be said enough about Wayman. Gonna miss his smile. What a sad day, but Heaven got a good one today.

vCash

Sad day.

He was a great guy.

I'll miss him.

God Bless the Family during this time of loss.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Heartbreaking. RIP...